1st Trimester
Options

Cleaning Products

Ok, I realize that this is probably flameworthy-but I'm worried a little bit nonetheless.

I cleaned our shower today, using Tilex. I did open the window and turn on the fan. Later I was ready WTEWYE and it mentioned that cleaning products and mold/mildew are dangerous to be around when pregnant and can lead to birth defects.

Great.

You'd think being my 2nd pregnancy I would think of these things...

Are you ladies still cleaning bathtubs and the like? Or are these tasks you leave to DH or someone else?

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers

Re: Cleaning Products

• Options

I am curious to read responses to this as well.  I have been avoiding cleaning our tub for this reason and have been debating asking my husband. 

There are definitely plenty of cleaning products that are better to use.  I've been using method multipurpose spray, but also like castile soap.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

step 1) Throw that book in the garbage (ok, not really, but it does have a bad reputation for scaring women)

As long as you're not inhaling or drinking it, I don't think you'll get out of cleaning duty this easily.

TTC since May 2012; BFP July 31st, 2012; EDD April 13th, 2013 BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Anniversary
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Well I didn't like purposely inhale it, but I was in the room with it, so I had to breathe :) Oh well, I guess it was probably a dumb thing to do!

But I agree, the book is a little scary! 

• Options

I use vinegar/blue Dawn to clean everything.  It's cheap and amazing. 

Just make sure everything is ventilated and you wash your hands when you're done or wear gloves while you're cleaning.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imagemlwurster:

I use vinegar/blue Dawn to clean everything.  It's cheap and amazing. 

Just make sure everything is ventilated and you wash your hands when you're done or wear gloves while you're cleaning.

I've heard of this vinegar blue dawn thing. What is the "recipe"? I'd like to try it!

• Options

Well I don't want to scare you but you should read about the chemicals in EVERYTHING we use! Get your baby an organic mattress that doesn't release chemicals I think they are called VOC's, same with the paint you use on the walls etc.

Also anything you put on your skin is absorbed into your blood stream without being filtered by the liver, and alot of it has alot of chemicals! Another reason to go green, especially with your baby products!

As for cleaners... Get Green Clean, or use a mixture of vinegar water and you will be fine... There are other green cleaners such as method or seventh generation that are fine for your and babies health, and if you switch what your using now you won't have to worry about the baby getting into cleaners later and getting sick... because they can get sick from it getting on their skin as well! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"