Breastfeeding
Options

Is it too late?

A week ago I stopped BFing and started giving formula because my family left to go back home (20 hours away) and DH returned to work.   I have no family or friends where we live now and I just didn't have the support and help that I needed to keep with breastfeeding.   Now that I'm starting to have a handle on this whole mom thing, and I'm much more physically healed from delivery, I would love to give BFing another go.  Did I screw up beyond repair, or is it possible to re-establish my supply and get him back on the breast?  

If it helps, we had been supplementing with formula for a couple of weeks and he has had a paci since the hospital and never displayed any signs of nipple confusion.   This would solely be a supply issue at this point. 

Thanks for any advice.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Is it too late?

• Options
    It's really hard to tell.  I would sat that if you are able to hand express or pump any breastmilk then you prob still have some that perhaps you could try again.  I would recommend speaking to your OB or lactation consultant and also you will need to prob weigh baby to make sure he isn't loosing weight. 
  • Options
    I would talk to a lactation consultant or try to get to a la leche league meeting. I think it would be worth trying to re-establish breastfeeding.
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It is defiantly worth a try, but you MUST start ASAP! There is a little 5 week window of opportunity with this and you are almost at the end point. Get a GOOD double electric breast pump and start nursing and then make sure you pump AT LEAST 8 times a day and once at night. Start all the herbs and teas (golacta is great- www.golacta.com). Lastly. . . . find the support you need! If you still have no support, than this will be hard, too. Where do you live? I can get resources to you. But the take home message here is that it's not too late and you still have to work on it.
    Certified Lactation Counselor Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagemeggersgs:
    It is defiantly worth a try, but you MUST start ASAP! There is a little 5 week window of opportunity with this and you are almost at the end point. Get a GOOD double electric breast pump and start nursing and then make sure you pump AT LEAST 8 times a day and once at night. Start all the herbs and teas (golacta is great- www.golacta.com). Lastly. . . . find the support you need! If you still have no support, than this will be hard, too. Where do you live? I can get resources to you. But the take home message here is that it's not too late and you still have to work on it.

I've also got a plugged duct, so I did put DS on the boob tonight and he nursed for 10 minutes each side before passing out!!    I have a Medela PISA but the motor has decided to crap out (it was used...my friend gave it to me) so I'll be calling my insurance on Monday to see if they'll cover a pump, or I'll go rent one from the hospital.    I have had a cup of Mothers Milk tea tonight and I plan on going to CVS tomorrow to get some fenugreek.  I'll be nursing DS as often as he can until I can get us back on track.    I tried manually pumping and got a few drops out from that, but the manual pump sucks because I apparently don't have the right size flanges.   Either way, there IS some hope and I really REALLY appreciate the advice from you ladies.   I'll probably be posting here more as we move forward with this.    

I'm so relieved to know that we may be able to resume BFing.   I have really struggled with the decision to go to EFF and have not been at peace with it.   

I live in Northern NJ.  I'll be contacting my local LLL on Monday as well.   

• Options

If you can express some milk right now then there is hope. I also suggest getting in contact with a LC ASAP. But in the meantime, nurse as much as you can, as often as you can. Eat a ton of oatmeal, drink a lot of water and pump in between nursing sessions. It's hard but so worth it.

Good luck!

• Options
    I must also mention that I am a Certified Lactation Counselor.  You should be able to get the pump covered. Drink 3 cups of the tea per day (if you can stand it) and take enough fenugreek to make you smell like maple syrup (pee and sweat). There was another reply on here about pumping every X hours for Y minutes, but I would suggest you find an LC in your area to get a complete work up and history done. The minimum times to pump during the day is 8. Please feel free to email me off board as well if you have more questions. Congrats!!!!! Oh, I will look into the NJ resources that I have.
    Certified Lactation Counselor Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"