1st Trimester
Options

NBR: Need help...husband and I are having a debate.

DH and I are looking to make home improvements. We will be moving in the next couple years so we want to make sure that the improvements are going to improve home value and be pleasing to home buyers. All will be about 2500 to 3500...Pick one if you had to choose.

Here are the options:

replace existing wooden fence and chain link (beginning to fall apart in places but functional) with new wood fence.

new granite countertops in kitchen

replace drive way

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: NBR: Need help...husband and I are having a debate.

• Options
    Granite! Fencing may be a matter of taste. As with the driveway. Granite in the kitchen will most likely add the most value. IMO.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

IAmPregnant Ticker

• Options

In order of preference if I were to buy your house.

1. Fence

2. Driveway

3. Countertop

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    that's hard... my vote is either new fence or drive way. I say this because if your current counter top is "in style" then let the new owner decide what they would want. Where as a new fence or driveway are "standard option" items.. hard to not like a new wood fence or driveway!
    BabyFruit Ticker Nursing Bras at Nurtured Family image
  • Options
    I would start with the ones that are maintenance items, which it sounds like the fence might be, and then move on to cosmetic.  What is the current countertop surface?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I've always heard kitchens and bathrooms sell houses...so I would definitely do the kitchen
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagePansyPants:

1. Fence

2. Driveway

3. Countertop

I would put my wants in the same order. If it helps any, we just sold our home to move to another area and the number one feedback comment we would get: "we wish there was a fence." I think even if you have a fence that needs a good amount of work, especially chain link, people will still complain. 

Driveway and fence are things people won't want to have to worry about fixing once they move in. A countertop is more about style and I think most of the time people like to customize those things to match their preference.

Just my thoughts and experience! Good luck!  

• Options

Fence and driveway before kitchen.  I think that a lot of home value is placed on first impressions.  If the house does not look good from the outside, it would not be worth it to me to buy it. 

We do not have fencing, but we do know that there are a few improvements we should make to the house before trying to sell.  Our first move would be to repave the driveway.  

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    All appliances are brand new stainless steel, cabinets are solid wood (dark) in good shape but not new.  we have large tiles on floor..not sure the material but nice....the countertops are laminate and cracking in places.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I'm an interior designer and deal with these kind of questions all the time. =) 

How many linear feet of fencing do you need?  I had about 75 feet and it was going to be $10,000 for a 6 foot white vinyl fence. (Yikes!) We went with wood (regular 6' picket), removed the old fence ourselves and had my uncle install the new one for $3,500, including renting a dumpster for the old fence panels.

An average sized kitchen usually has around 50 square feet of countertop.  I would recommend getting more a common (i.e. cheaper) type of granite since you're moving anyway, in a neutral color.  You'd probably be around $1500-2000 for the countertop if you got one around $30 per sq.ft. 

An average sized two-car width driveway in my experience starts around $6,000 in my area (Southeast Michigan).  I don't know how much concrete prices vary by region.

You could probably do the fence AND the countertop for the same price as the driveway.  However, if the driveway is really bad it may scare off some potential buyers because it is one of the first things they will see.  Some people overlook big stuff like that if you show them a nice, shiny kitchen, though. =)

My little guy!  Everett Richard born 9/3/13

• Options
    As far as improving value goes, granite would probably be best for that. It would personally be the last thing on my list though.
    Anneliese Olive 11/5/09
    Hazel Dianna 1/8/11
    Luna Valentine 4/25/13

• Options
    Granite... Must have for my next house!!
    TTC #1 - BFN; TTC #2 - BFN; TTC #3 - BFP!!! Beta 1 - 149 Beta 2 - 250 Beta 3 - 442 Beta 4 - 1987! BabyFruit Ticker Announcement
  • Options
    imagePansyPants:

1. Fence

2. Driveway

3. Countertop

Yep, this.  In general, fences are fences and a driveway is just a driveway.   A countertop style can be a deal breaker in selling a house...leave that for last.

imageimage
    2 years, 2 surgeries, 2 clomid fails, 2 IUIs, 1 loss, IVF #1 - 10/25/10 = BFP!, DS is now 3.5yrs!
    TTC #2 - 6/12 surgery #3, FET #1 & 1.2 = BFN, 12/2012 FET #2 = BFP! DD is 1.5 yrs!
    Surprise! 12/16/14 BFP, loss #2 12/31/14

I can't wait for the "im getting a divorce" post in 5 years or so because your husbands were fed up with your disgusting chair asses from playing on the knot all day and getting fired 4-5 times for not doing any work. you guys are all winners!! ~ Laur929

• Options

My family has been in real-estate for years (family company) and let me tell you that the #1 place to put your money is in your kitchen IF it is outdated. If your fence is in such bad repair that it stands out in your neighborhood, then you need to fix that. If you driveway is so noticeable that it stands out to the neighborhood, then that is what needs to be fixed.  You do not want to update your home beyond the cost of those it is surrounded by. For example, if all your neighbors have new kitchen counters and you do not, then update that, however if you will be the only home with the granite countertops this could be a waste of money for you as the counters could make you think your home is worth more than it "comps", or comparable houses, in the neighborhood, that was a waste of your money and time.  So, if your fence is the worst on the street, fix that. If you have an outdated kitchen, fix that, if your driveway is is such a state that it makes your house stand out negatively, fix that. 

Lost but never forgotten <3 : </br> 1st BFP 2/8/06 m/c @ 12 weeks; 2nd BFP 2/9/07 w/ Clomid; DD (Monica Caroline) born 11/16/07; 3rd BFP 3/25/11 w/ injections m/c @ 5 weeks; 4th BFP 8/3/11 w/ injections diagnosed blighted ovum; 5th BFP 1/20/12 m/c @ 9 weeks; 6th BFP 4/27/12 Praying for our rainbow Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"