Working Moms
Options

Who do I "complain" to?

I love LOs daycare (most of the time).  When I picked him up today he was in the swing crying, there were 3 babies playing in the play area and check out what the teachers were doing: One was in the kitchen area fiddling around, one was talking to a parent, and one was sitting at a table doing paperwork.  

I was so shocked. I almost think I was more mad about the 3 babies not being watched than my own son crying... due to my son being bit a few weeks ago.  Now I understand how that happened...

Here's my question... do I say something to the teachers, director, or owners who are very well involved?  I feel like it is not my job to tell the teachers to do their job (watch the kids!).  Any thoughts? I didn't say anything today... I wanted to cool down so I could talk rationally on Monday.   

Re: Who do I "complain" to?

• Options
    I agree, it isn't your place to address the teacher about the issue.  I'd probably mention it to the director if it bothered you.  Has it happened before?

~*Jenna*~

TTC since November 2009.

Currently licensed foster parents with the hope of adopting!  Also pursuing pregnancy through IUI!  First IUI scheduled 10/3/13

Currently loving our placements:

A 1/08

C 4/11

K 6/12

• Options

imageJennaNAaron:
    I agree, it isn't your place to address the teacher about the issue.  I'd probably mention it to the director if it bothered you.  Has it happened before?

Yes, a few times actually.  DH has dropped LO off and said there were 6+ babies on the floor playing and one teacher was filling buckets in the kitchen area and one had stepped out to get water.  Actually both of those incidents happened this week. I just don't want it to get back to the teachers that I am complaining about them and then they hold a grudge against LO... however I know I have to do what is right for LO.  

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would talk to the director.  Just be nice and mention you had some concerns. I highly doubt anyone will hold a grudge against your LO.

~*Jenna*~

TTC since November 2009.

Currently licensed foster parents with the hope of adopting!  Also pursuing pregnancy through IUI!  First IUI scheduled 10/3/13

Currently loving our placements:

A 1/08

C 4/11

K 6/12

• Options

I agree the teachers s/b interacting more with LO's but I don't feel they were being neglected.  If the teachers are in the room most likely they are keeping an eye on the kids (assuming their backs are not against the kids). Drop off and pick up times can be chaotic for both parents and kids.  For example, a 1yo in DD2's class cries each time I pick her up.  Apparently, her mom is a blonde too. The teachers are busy chatting with the parents about the day and completing their side chores at shift end.  If they act like this the entire day there is a huge problem. Still, I would like to see one of the three teachers on the floor interacting with the babies.

Bring your concern to the director. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I'd just mention to the director that you had some concerns about teachers doing paperwork and other tasks when there were babies needing attention. Do you have a good relationship with the director? I've made a point this year to say hello and chat with ours so that when I come to complain, I don't seem so "witchy".  :)  Today I had to mention to her that my child has been bit three days in a row and the teacher had no idea any of the days!  She said he didn't scream, so she didn't notice...didn't notice a GIANT RED BITE on his arm when she changed his diaper?  The director was already set to say something to me anyhow because she had noticed it and also about a bump on his head!  She said she was worried the teacher wasn't watching closely enough and wanted my input.  So, it might not be a surprise to your director anyhow.  Sometimes teachers are already being watched...

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageJennaNAaron:
    I would talk to the director.  Just be nice and mention you had some concerns. I highly doubt anyone will hold a grudge against your LO.

This.  No rational person would ever hold a grudge against a baby.  This happened once when LO was maybe 5 months old.  She was on the floor crying and one teacher was doing paperwork and the other was feeding and putting another baby to sleep. 

I did speak to the director about it and was told that they do have to stay on top of the paperwork as well, but never let a baby cry for more than a minute.  That was good enough for me.  A bunch of babies on the floor.  Totally normal, by the way. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagepitterpatter129:

I'd just mention to the director that you had some concerns about teachers doing paperwork and other tasks when there were babies needing attention.

Not to excuse it because with -3- teachers, there should always be at least one engaging, but having worked in a center for many years before I became a nanny, doing paperwork and other tasks while still caring for the infants is part of the job.

The paperwork we had to fill out in one of the centers I was at was so unbelievably in depth and complicated it took about a half hour to fill out, and finding a time of day that -everyone- naps in an infant room is truly a once in a while miracle when the age range is about 3 months to a year. Eventually I started posting our daily coordinated activities on a bulletin board so I only had to write them out once rather than on every child's paper, and instead we posted all the papers on a closet door and marked down feedings, naps, and diaper changes as they occurred (like you're supposed to).  That cut down on time tremendously, so if they have in-depth daily sheets, maybe that's a suggestion to make. (on the other hand, injury reports (especially if there's a biter in the class) are usually a handful to fill out as well.)

If it continues to be a problem, I would first mention something to the teachers. It could be that the other parent arrived and the teacher that had previously been playing stopped to talk to them about their child's day, or they could just honestly not realize that between the 3 of them, they're not on the same page. Daycare teachers are people, they'll listen if you speak up, and if the issue persists, involve the director. :)

Pregnancy Ticker image
  • Options

imageJennaNAaron:

This.  No rational person would ever hold a grudge against a baby.  This happened once when LO was maybe 5 months old.  She was on the floor crying and one teacher was doing paperwork and the other was feeding and putting another baby to sleep. 

I did speak to the director about it and was told that they do have to stay on top of the paperwork as well, but never let a baby cry for more than a minute.  That was good enough for me.  A bunch of babies on the floor.  Totally normal, by the way. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagewife07mom09:

the fact that 3 babies were unatended is completely unacceptable.   Is this a licensed  daycare?

Id pull my kid or at least talk to the director immeduately.

remember daycare is a business, you never have to be worried about speaking to the teachers or director. they essentially work for you 

Yes, licensed and surprisingly one of the most reputable ones around here... 

• Options

Complain to the director, I guess. 

But seriously, not hard to see how this could happen, esp. at pick up time which has its own measure of controlled chaos.

3 babies in the play area: presumably this is an area where babies play.  It would be baby-proofed, appropiate and safe.  One babe contained in a swing, crying.

1 teacher actively talking with a parent.  She gets a pass.  One teacher doing paperwork: perhaps an incident report, the kind of thing that comes up on these boards all of the time and parents who are rabid about getting information ASAP regarding even the most benign incidents.  One teacher 'fiddling' around in the kitchen.  Perhaps she was engaging with the kids when the teacher who was filling out the incident report asked her to check the bottles or some such thing.

It just doesn't take much of a leap of logic to imagine how the scene you described might have occurred.  And the scene is that of 4 children in a safe place.

So, yeah, go ahead and complain.

promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
  • Options
    imageridesbuttons:

Complain to the director, I guess. 

But seriously, not hard to see how this could happen, esp. at pick up time which has its own measure of controlled chaos.

3 babies in the play area: presumably this is an area where babies play.  It would be baby-proofed, appropiate and safe.  One babe contained in a swing, crying.

1 teacher actively talking with a parent.  She gets a pass.  One teacher doing paperwork: perhaps an incident report, the kind of thing that comes up on these boards all of the time and parents who are rabid about getting information ASAP regarding even the most benign incidents.  One teacher 'fiddling' around in the kitchen.  Perhaps she was engaging with the kids when the teacher who was filling out the incident report asked her to check the bottles or some such thing.

It just doesn't take much of a leap of logic to imagine how the scene you described might have occurred.  And the scene is that of 4 children in a safe place.

So, yeah, go ahead and complain.

I like the perspective you took on this, but no need for sarcasm and rudeness. The play area is pretty far away from where any of the teachers were.  That is a little scary to me.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"