2nd Trimester
Options

XP: Is the Glucose tolerance test an option?

I was reading different things about it, and some people were saying it's optional. I would be SOO happy if it is! Just wondering... Just tell me if I really sound stupid.

Edit: I have been having a really hard time with passing out and still being nauseaus... Confused Last time I ended up in the ER. That's why I'm wondering if there are any options...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary

Re: XP: Is the Glucose tolerance test an option?

• Options
    Scroll down about 6 threads.
    IMG_8165 lb4lyfe2
    Online Photo Editor

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Ztarrgheighzurr Lylliegh Smith is due in January!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    Most likely it's not. And it's important to know if you have GD. It's really not that bad. You drink a sugary drink and then get blood drawn. Why would you opt out of something to little that affects your LOs health so much.

Jacob, 1/14/13
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Why would you be "soooooo happy" to pass up a simple blood test that could prevent serious complications or even death for you or your baby?

Layne-May 6, 2013

Callie-February 14, 2011

• Options
    I don't think so. I think everyone needs it.
  • Options

imageMelissaRae1525:
    Most likely it's not. And it's important to know if you have GD. It's really not that bad. You drink a sugary drink and then get blood drawn. Why would you opt out of something to little that affects your LOs health so much.

Exactly this.  I am not jumping for joy about it but I would never even consider opting out of something this important even if it was optional.  

11/2010 Diagnosed with PCOS 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19 

• Options

imageBoatsNHoes:
    Why would you be "soooooo happy" to pass up a simple blood test that could prevent serious complications or even death for you or your baby?

YesYesYesYesYesYes 

IMG_8165 lb4lyfe2
    Online Photo Editor

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Ztarrgheighzurr Lylliegh Smith is due in January!
  • Options

I refused it with my first pregnancy. No family history, very healthy. The MD wasn't sure it was a good idea...but in the end, I had a normal 7lb baby. The MD thought that the baby would be bigger and she was surprised. I think she thought that my sugars would be high. I gained a ton of weight! It was all good though.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Anniversary
  • Options
    If you truly can't tolerate the glucose tolerance test, your OB might let you skip it and let you do finger sticks for a few days/weeks to see how your sugars are doing.  Honestly, I think the 3 hour test is easier, but it's worth asking if you really are opposed to it.  I wouldn't just skip any screening at all though because it's really important to catch GD if you have it.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imagebekah90:

Edit: I have been having a really hard time with passing out and still being nauseaus... Confused Last time I ended up in the ER. That's why I'm wondering if there are any options...

I totally get that. I was in the ER two weeks ago for dehydration due to vomiting. You will still want to know if you have GD, since it could result in so many complications for your LO if untreated. My last OB said if you throw up the solution twice, they diagnose you with GD and you follow a special diet. Hopefully by the time you're 28 weeks along, you won't be so sick and you won't have to worry about it.

IMG_8165 lb4lyfe2
    Online Photo Editor

• Options
    imagebekah90:

so then you should have fun pushing a baby out of your vagina. 

Layne-May 6, 2013

Callie-February 14, 2011

• Options
    Does your doctor know about your history of passing out? Definitely something you should talk to them about.

Jacob, 1/14/13
  • Options
    imageBliss+Berry:
    imageJgiesbrecht:

I refused it with my first pregnancy. No family history, very healthy. The MD wasn't sure it was a good idea...but in the end, I had a normal 7lb baby. The MD thought that the baby would be bigger and she was surprised. I think she thought that my sugars would be high. I gained a ton of weight! It was all good though.

I think it's reckless and irresponsible to refuse, considering the health issues it could cause for both you and baby.  While family history can be a factor, it isn't always so.  Also, just because you are healthy doesn't mean that you can't have GD.  

...Or that your anecdotal evidence has any bearing on whether or not OP will have GD.

IMG_8165 lb4lyfe2
    Online Photo Editor

• Options
    imageBliss+Berry:
    imageJgiesbrecht:

I think it's reckless and irresponsible to refuse, considering the health issues it could cause for both you and baby.  While family history can be a factor, it isn't always so.  Also, just because you are healthy doesn't mean that you can't have GD.  

I agree. Especially after acknowledging a big weight gain.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I would talk to your OB about this.  I've heard of some doctors who just have a patient drink a coke or eat a sugary snack instead of the glucose drink.  If you pass out with blood draws, have them lay you down instead of sitting up.  I used to pass out all the time when they took blood.  They started having me lay down to take it and I didn't have issues then.  Now, I just close my eyes really tight.  I think I just can't watch. :)

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageBoatsNHoes:

This. Seriously, it's not that big of a deal. I don't get whining about this test. You know it's a million times easier than labor, right?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Sure, you don't HAVE to take any test during pregnancy. HOWEVER, I say to take the damn test. Seriously. You drink a freakin drink, and you wait 1 measly hour and get some blood drawn. NOT a big deal. You don't even have to fast for it, so it's not like you have to walk in to it with an empty stomach. You could probably skip the 3 hour and just go about as though you have gestational diabetes if you failed the 1 hour. 

You said to tell you if you really sound stupid; well, you do. Take the test because it's honestly WAY better in the long run for you and your baby.  

EDD#1 12/5/12 Born 11/21/12 My LB is better than your LB.BrittanyDoesDerby 4 LYFE!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    EDD#2 2.20.16 I love you already! <3

BabyFruit Ticker
    FEB16 Siggy Challenge Fave TV mom
  • Options
    It's really not that bad. With that said, if it was optional, I would not be tested multiple times this pregnancy. I have no history or anything, but tend to have "bigger" babies so they want to be super cautious -- honestly I think it's because I now live in a sue-happy area and they are just covering their butts. I'd rather know and be safe than not, but multiple hour long tests that seem pointless are a bit annoying.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I'm not joking when I say this: there is a study out there that compared eating a set amount of jelly beans to drinking the drink, and this certain number of a certain (popular) brand of jelly bean rendered the same results as the drink. Maybe look into that?

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    With DD I was shaky and didn't feel good while I took the test. However, I gain an extreme amount of weight during pregnancy cuz of how my body metabolizes things and my reactions to hormones. So I know I should take the test. Does it suck, yeah. Am I happy I did it and know I passed, hecks yes! The drink isn't all that big. It's like a shot glass sized cup. No biggie. This is one test to not pass on.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

Well, you can refuse any test/treatment, so the short answer is yes, it is an optional test.  Is it a good idea to refuse it?  No, not IMO!  It's too important.  

I have heard of alternatives to the test, like having to eat a ton of jelly beans then doing the blood draw or pp mentioned the finger prick.  Talk to your doc, guaranteed you are not the first person with this problem!   

• Options
    I am not sure if it's optional but I'd think it's something you'd want to get so you could know and treat if necessary.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks, ladies! I think I have my answer! I have my next Dr appt next week, so I know what questions to ask. Thanks a lot!Smile
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Options

imageMelissaRae1525:

agreed ^^

AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I had GD with my last pregnancy - I failed by two points on two of my 3 hour draws. I had no risk factors, no family history. I also pass out from blood draws and had issues with the drink (puked it after my one hour). It was not the end of the world... I ate more with GD than I did before the DX, my weight gain ceased (17lbs total), and I got to eat/drink during labor and delivery. My OB had no issues since everything was diet/exercise controlled with letting me go to 41 weeks but my water ruptured at 37 weeks.

Opting out with an OB also risks you being dropped as a patient. My low risk OB is lax on lots of things, but will outright tell you if you refuse any sort of GD monitoring whether it be blood sugar testing (for a week) or the GD 1/3 hour, she will not continue to see you.

Socializing foster puppies since 2009
    image image
    Chart for TTC#2
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"