1st Trimester
Options

Epidural, natural or C sections, please share!

I know it's pretty early but a friend of mine & I were talking about pregnancy and birth. She has had both a epidural and natural births, and she said she preferred natural. I am a new mommy so it got me curious. She said b/c with her first (the epidural) she had spinal headaches for a week and tore way too much, and it was really surreal to give birth while not being able to feel anything down there. With her second and third which was natural, she said she could feel herself more and was in more control of how much she could handle at a time. She said it was extremely painful but bearable. My mother in law immediately told me (as soon as I got preg) to "not be a hero" and take the meds. I could careless about being a hero. I wanna know what my body is feeling so I can better control my pushing, and I consider myself to have a decent pain threshold. So! with all that being said, tell me how your past experiences were. 
IAmPregnant Ticker

Re: Epidural, natural or C sections, please share!

• Options
    I really don't handle pain well, and while I respect greatly women who can go natural, I knew it just wasn't for me. And I certainly didn't want to spend the length of my pregnancy worrying about how painful it could be.
    Luckily, my experience was wonderful. I was numb enough to not be in excruciating pain, but not so much so that I couldn't feel when I needed to push. I still knew when each contraction was and was able to push comfortably. I'd say the whole process of pushing took less than ten minutes.
    I realize that isn't always the case, so I felt really blessed.
    With this pregnancy, I will still plan on getting an epidural and hope for the best!
    Good luck to you!

• Options
    I went natural with my first and it was an amazing experience.  It was extremely painful but so worth it! Transition from 7 to 10 cm was so hard and I almost gave up but I stuck with it and it was amazing being able to feel everything even though it hurt! My mother in law laughed at me when I said I wanted to go natural.  Just do what you want to...it's your body and your baby!
    image         image

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I had all natural with a small internal tear.  I really prepared myself mentally by taking hypnobirthing class and I truly believed it helped. To be honest not really the breathing, but the thought process that I could do it and my baby would be coming.   I also had an amazing doula.  I did not have back labor so I cannot speak to that.  Labor was like bad cramps and you had a few seconds in between each one, it's definitely uncomfortable, but tolerable.  Also, there is an end to the process, which is incredible. 

I was told by several people I couldn't do it and laughed at when I said I wanted to do it all natural, but it's what I wanted and it worked out.  It's not being a hero, it's delivering your baby without drugs and being in control of your body.

Good luck!

• Options
    Just so you know, some ladies take offense to the term "natural," and prefer "unmedicated" instead. There isn't anything "unnatural" about childbirth, KWIM?

I did not want an epi with DD, but after 25 hours of relentless back labor contractions, I ended up requesting it. Turns out I still had 14 hours and 6cm to go, and I am glad I was able to get some relief. When it came to pushing, I could tell when contractions were coming, but I couldn't feel the pain, if that makes sense. So in my case, I wouldn't say that the epi caused me to be out of touch with my body. I pushed for an hour, which isn't bad, especially for a first timer with a babe who had a 98th percentile head!

This time, I hope to go without meds. I am going to be more diligent with exercises and chiropractic care, which will hopefully help prevent back labor by getting the baby into the correct position. I am not too proud to request the epi again if need be.
  • Options
    With my twins I was in labor 29 hours and got an epidural towards the end to see if it would help me relax and dilate. It didnt and after 29 hours and only getting to a 4, I ended up having a csection. With my second delivery I chose a repeat Csection and I will have another one this time as well.
    Married my very own GI Joe May 2002

BFP May 2002  NMC June 2002
    BFP September 2002 ID twins born April 2003 @ 35 weeks
    BFP September 2007 DD born May 2008
    BFP August 2012 MC October 2012
    BFP January 2012 DD October 2013

I MISS MY TICKER :(

• Options

I don't care what other women do.  I had a wonderful vaginal birth with an epidural.  My entire experience was relaxed and painless. I enjoyed it.  DD was super healthy at birth, breastfed immediately like a champ and I was walking within a few hours.  It was wonderful. 

I have no interest in natural birth and hope I never have to experience a c-section.  But ultimately as long as mama and baby are healthy, who cares how the baby leaves your body? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I'd planned to keep my options open during my birth with DD#1. My water ended up breaking at 35 weeks and they want you to deliver within 24 hours of rupture, so I ended up on Pitocin because I wasn't contracting. Pitocin was pretty awful. I made it about to about 4-5 and was begging for the epidural. The relief was awesome and pretty quick. Unfortunately, it started not working as well after a few hours and despite an extra dose of the meds they put through the epidural, I still felt everything and the end was pretty painful.

Because of that experience, with this baby I plan to try again to get as far as I can without the epidural.

Really the only issue I have with the epidural is the whole needle in my back thing. I didn't experience any after effects. It's not very common to have the spinal headaches and things like that.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    I had an epidural which worked gloriously and stayed in for a very long time (I had some issues after giving birth that they weren't sure if I'd need surgery for) and I had zero complications from. I went from literally wanting to die to zero pain within 5 minutes max. I got nothing but respect for those who can go natural but I highly suggest educating yourself on an epi so you have that to fall back on.

Layne-May 6, 2013

Callie-February 14, 2011

• Options

The best advice I can give is to make sure you are reasonably knowledgeable about all 3.   I have 2 IRL friends that tuned out the c-section part of their hospital class/tour and guess what?  They ended up with emergency c-sections and were twice as freaked out because they didn't know what to expect.   I have several other friends plan for medicated births but progressed too fast or the drugs wore off and they ended up natural.  

I wanted an epidural but in my mind I knew that I wanted to wait as long as I could before getting it.  DS came 5 weeks early...too late to give drugs to stop contractions, but too early to want to progress labor.  So I got the epi at 11pm on a monday night and prayed it would help me relax enough to keep him in another week.  They turned off the epi the next day and I only made it 3 hrs before the pain made the contractions pick up again.  All in all I was in labor over 40 hrs and had the epi placed 3 times (twice before delivery and once after delivery for emergency surgery).   I had no trouble pushing and could move both my legs on my own.  Only thing I'll know to do next time is not let them remove the epidural until they are sure they've got the bleeding stopped.

imageimage
    2 years, 2 surgeries, 2 clomid fails, 2 IUIs, 1 loss, IVF #1 - 10/25/10 = BFP!, DS is now 3.5yrs!
    TTC #2 - 6/12 surgery #3, FET #1 & 1.2 = BFN, 12/2012 FET #2 = BFP! DD is 1.5 yrs!
    Surprise! 12/16/14 BFP, loss #2 12/31/14

I can't wait for the "im getting a divorce" post in 5 years or so because your husbands were fed up with your disgusting chair asses from playing on the knot all day and getting fired 4-5 times for not doing any work. you guys are all winners!! ~ Laur929

• Options

With DS, I really wanted to go unmediated.  I think every women's labor is different.  I am very tolerant of pain and I couldn't see/breathe from the pain.  I gave in and got the epidural. Plus I was given pitocin be I wasn't progressing which didn't help.

Ill try again to go unmediated, but really as long as I get the baby out safety...I'm good with that! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I had a wonderful med-free birth.  I thought I had a low pain threshold but apparently I have no feeling in my uterus, lol.

It really is a very personal choice.  Do your research and make the decision you feel comfortable with.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I was aiming for unmedicated for my first but I was taking a wait and see approach. I ended up being induced and thrown onto transition like contractions instantly. Having contractions 60 seconds long 1.5 min apart plus vomiting turned out to be more than I could handle. This time I'm taking a similar approach. I'm hoping to hire a doula for support. My hope is if I go on my own and have a chance to have a more normal progression of labour I will be able to have my natural birth. But if I need an epidural, I won't feel bad about getting one.
  • Options
    I had an emergency c-section. It was traumatic at the time, but not the end of the world once my daughter was here and we were both healthy afterward. If you want to go unmedicated, be prepared, but if you decide during labor to get the epi, don't hesitate to take it. It is there to help, it doesn't make you less of a woman/mother. Good luck!
    "Seriously, mommy forum people are some crazy ass bitches." New Year New You
  • Options

I have 4 children and all of them were birthed without medication. The method I used was "natural childbirth"

I would recommend researching the risks associated with epidurals.

There is no such thing as a local anesthesia. As long as you realize that your baby is getting the drugs that you are getting and does not have the same liver as you do. (He/she has to remove the drugs from it's body and this can take twice as long as it does for you).

Studies have shown that epidurals interfere with the birth process. Just google a youtube video of an epidural birth and a natural birth and compare.

Good luck in your decision

Susan

• Options
    PP is correct in saying that epidurals can slow labor down. That's why an epi is almost always paired with pitocin; the pitocin helps keep contractions going. I don't think it's quite accurate to say that it "interferes" with labor, though. That wording seems strong to me.

It is important to do your research on all of your options during labor so that you are comfortable with your decisions when the time comes. For example, an epidural isn't the only option for pain management. Know what else is available.

It isn't fair for anyone to judge another woman's birth experience. Everyone experiences labor differently, and what works for one may not work for another. Also, there are a zillion extenuating circumstances where the benefits of certain necessary medical interventions far outweigh the risks. It drives me crazy when people don their high and mighty "natural method" caps. My own sister told me that I couldn't possibly know the pain she felt during childbirth because I had an epi. My SIL also told me that delivering my 7lb 14oz baby with drugs was "nothing" compared to her drugfree delivery with her 9.5lb baby. Um, excuse me? Seriously, don't judge and don't keep score.

For the record, my daughter was not damaged by my epi. She was perfectly alert, not at all druggy, and nursed like a champ right away.

Sorry, end of hormonal rant!

Here's a quote I came across some time ago that sums it up beautifully:
    "Whatever way birth happens, it is your rite of passage into motherhood, and that passage is to be celebrated...Every mother's birth experience is valid, and an act of courage." Ananda Lowe, "The Doula Guide to Birth"
  • Options

I reeeeeally tried to go natural, because I like to think I'm tough... but that back labor wore me down. When I was faced with a possible c-section after 43 hours, I immediately got the epidural and do not regret it at all. I ended up going from 1 to 10cm in less than an hour! 

I did tear my cervix. And I had WEIRD headaches (this is coming from a 20-year migraine sufferer) and pain at the injection site for 8 weeks. My current doc says the headaches weren't from the epidural, but I have to disagree.

I know I said I don't regret getting the epi with DD, but I will probably avoid it this time. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

I went into my labor with DS thinking that I would play it by ear and if the pain got to me, I would ask for an epi, but if I was tolerating it well, then I wouldn't.  Well I went from no contrax to contrax every 2 minutes in less than an hour.  I never got time to adjust to the contrax, and as soon as I got the chance I asked for the epi.  For me, the epi was great.  I was able to sleep, and was very relaxed.  I didn't like that my legs were so numb I couldn't even lift them, but it was better than the contrax pain.  If I had insisted, I am sure they would have turned the epi down for me.

I ended up with an emergency csection due to shoulder dystocia.  I had also had an episiotomy because his shoulders didn't get stuck until after his head was out.  

As for recovery, I wish I had been able to deliver vaginally.  I would take an episiotomy or a terrible tear any day over a c-section if I could.  That being said I will be having a repeat c-section this time, because I cannot risk repeating the scenario that happened with my DS.   It took me a long time to come to terms with that, but now I am looking forward to the predictability of the csection, even though I will have to recover again, at least this time I won't have an episiotomy, too.  It isn't the ideal situation, but I did it once before, and I know I can do it again.

BFP 12/19/08- DS born 8/25/09 9lbs2oz via Zavanelli Maneuver
    BFP 8/26/11- Missed miscarriage discovered 10/19/11 at 11w2d, measured at 9 weeks gestation w/ no HB. D&C 10/21/11
    BFP 3/17/12 at 12dpo CP 3/21/12
    BFP 4/23/12 at 10dpo Stick my little one! Beta #1: 83.3 @ 13dpo Beta #2: 197.7 @ 15dpo
    Our little man is getting bigger every day!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    My BFP Chart
  • Options

With my first I had an epidural.  It was wonderful, I didn't have any of the negative SE's that some experience (spinal headache, back pain).

With my twins I had a scheduled c/s due to breech presentation.  It wasn't bad.  I was TERRIFIED, but it wasn't really any worse than my vaginal birth.

This pg I'd like to possibly go natural.  I'm considering taking Bradley classes.  I still don't think I'd do the whole L&D with no pain meds or epidural, but maybe I could make it further.  If I experience back labor, baby is sunny side up, or they give me pitocin again to regulate my contractions like the first time, I will immediatley opt for the epidural. 

No matter what birthing method you choose, you need to be flexible, no matter what you plan, things in one way or another probably won't go according to plan.  In the end, the most important thing is that you and your baby are healthy.  As long as there are no major complications, drugs/no drugs, vaginal/c-section, you come out with the same prize in the end.  Good luck with your decision.

GSx1 - 05/13/2013
    GSx2 for T&B - EDD 6/21/2015 - They're having a GIRL!

babybaby
    BabyGaga
  • Options

Is there a special class that all older women go to that teaches them to all say the same crap to us? (dont be a hero ;) )

Being induced bothered me. I think it messed with my body alot. I didnt feel that high or that instant bond. I had a horrible go at BFing though, so that might have hurt it to.

The epidural was fabulous. I am a slow laborer and went 3 days of heavy contractions that did nothing so when I was induced and they broke my water- I was done. That epi saved my sanity

It made me sick, but I didnt feel a dang thing. Id take again in a heartbeat. I dont feel like any less than a hero. I carried my baby to 41wks, had a huge, healthy boy vaginally, and I felt great. 

• Options
    You could have a horrible unmedicated experience OR you could have a horrible experience with an epidural. You could also have a great experience in either scenario. The reality is that by and large there are certain factors you cannot control. You could go into labor so fast there is no time for meds, or you could need an emergency C section. I hope none of those happen, but just some food for thought. I think that it is important to hear all of the great feedback here and make a determination on what is the ideal birth experience for you and your baby, but prepare yourself for the alternative options. It is dissapointing to not have eveything go how you want it to, but if you prepare for these scenarios it will help you to not become as upset when you are in labor. There were certain things that I was determined not to have (episiotomy,etc) and I made my partner aware so he could be my advocate during that time. It helps if he/she be educated on the birth pocess so they can fully understand what the doctors and nurses are saying. For example: I thought I was at 3cm and I was barely concious because of the pain, and they offered me the epidural which had not been in my birth plan. I took it, nad it turns out I was almost 9cm. We never thought to ask to be checked again since I was checked 1 hour prior. If I had known, or my partner had asked about that I would have chosen differently. The nurse had been pushing the meds all along and I almost felt tricked after the fact. In my case the EPI at that point in labor caused problems because I could not feel to push and had to push for 3 hours. Anyhow, having the EPI turned out to be OK for me. I am not antimedsthey were great in the regard I felt nothing, but I would have had them earlier or not at all. I would not love to have the same experience again, but if it results in a healhy baby I am good with it. Hope that helps!
  • Options
    I got induced and I got an epidural when they gave me the pitocin. I would say it was the best experience for a birth possible. I say that because although I was in labor for about 26 hours, I wasn't in any pain. When it was time for me to push, I knew it and I could feel it without being in excruciating pain. I did have a small tear and got 1 stitch. About 2 hours after giving birth I was walking around and took a shower. It was awesome!
  • Options
    I went into labor 3 weeks early. Water broke at home and walked into the hospital fully dilated and 100% effaced. Somehow DD hadn't descended and still had the option for an epidural, I deliberated and said yes I thought it must be a sign lol! no sooner was the Epi in I was pushing, I could still feel everything although not as strong, I could of walked immediately after labor I really wasn't that numb but it sure did take the edge off. That been said... I couldn't of coped with 24 hrs of those contractions.. but I could barely catch my breath and I had another one thats because I was ready and labored so so fast LO was born within 3 hrs home to hospital. I def think I want to try without this time again ONLY because it was so fast. When I got there I was so scared that the pain would be unbearable and there would be no going back.. I still am scared but I am def considering natural this time round. Actually I could not have a choice that would be best case for me!
  • Options

With DD, my water broke first and contractions started almost immediately afterwards. 27 hours later, no sufficient progress. Upon MW recommendation I was put on Oxytocin to get things moving and got the Epi so I could get a few hours of sleep and have the energy to push when the time came. None of these things were on my birth plan, but at the end of the 40-hour labor I had a happy & healthy baby. That's all that really matters to me.

This time I plan on going natural. With that being said, I now understand that interventions are sometimes necessary and in my baby's best interest. I'll prepare myself the best I can though!

• Options

I had an unmediated natural birth with my son and plan to do the same this time. I wouldn't call it easy or pleasent but it was right for me. I have an issue with needles and with being out of control, I was terrified of having an epidural and would much rather feel what my body/baby are experiencing than to feel trapped or unaware. 

I suggest you think about the possibility of all the options. Think about what comes with each one and then put those experiences in order of what you would most prefer. i.e. I prefer to have control of my body more than I want to be without discomfort. Then see how your preferences line up with the various birth options.

It really isn't about being a hero, it's about being honest and true to who you are. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I had a med-free birth and an epidural. I enjoyed both the same, in different ways. The epidural allowed me a lot more rest and to be more awake after giving birth so it was easier for me to nurse right away. The epidural was turned almost off during the pushing. The med-free birth allowed me to be more in touch with my body during the labour. I don't think it's necessary but some women might like it.

I am going in this time open. I'll look into hypnobabies and see what happens. If I decide I want the epidural I'll use it. I know my body is made for birth and I know I can do it but it's a choice and I'll make that choice as I see fit.

I am a firm believer in women making the choice that's right for them whatever that is.

• Options
    I planned for an unmedicated birth, had a doula but at 6cm I ended up getting the epi. You can only plan so much, you do what's best for you. I had issues with the epi's,  ended up getting 3. First one was put in wrong, 2nd one wore off after about 7ish hours. Luckily the 3rd one, which they were hesitant to give started working. as far as after affect I didn't have any. I usually have weird reactions to meds but besides them not taking well I did better than I thought. Good luck! 

Lillian April 17, 2012
  • Options
    I did Hypnobirthing with DD and had a great experience.  It was so nice to be able to move about my entire labor, relax in the bath, etc.  After she was born I loved that I could pretty much get up right away.  I felt so good in fact that right before they moved me to postpartum I mentioned something about walking over there and my MIL was like, "I don't think they are going to have you walk!"  Then I thought, oh yeah duh, I'm sure they want me in a wheel chair.  But I was all set to stroll on over there :)
  • Options
    My first two were unnecessary c/s, completely med-free up until I was told I had to have a c/s, this time around I am hoping for a completely natural home birth
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"