Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

What do you do for cough?

My little guy has a cough - and has for about 2 weeks.  I took him to the Dr. this week and the Dr. checked him out - looked in his throat and ears - made him cough etc. and told me that it is a cold and to just let it run its course.

I'm fine with that... but DS keeps waking himself up with coughing fits.  I have a herbal cough medcine I give him that is safe for under 2 (checked it with the Dr.), and I rubbed a tiny dap of vicks on his chest - and I have a humidifier inthe room....

Is there anything else that you would do?

I just feel bad for him and can see it's bugging him.

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: What do you do for cough?

• Options
    My dr told me 1/2 teaspoon of Benadryl at night. We tried it it helped a little, but we took him back in to dr and he has ear infection and possible sinus infection bc cough lasting so long too. He's on anti biotic and oral steroids bc his airways were so inflamed from the coughing. He's been on nebulizer too. So not sure if any of this would help, but it's scary when they wake coughing hard! I've given honey too... And Popsicles:) GL!
  • Options

honey - it coats his throat and hopefully makes him feel better - also, if he has post nasal drip, have him sleep on a pillow (or two) or some how incline his bed.

Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I used the Vicks plug ins and it helped.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    We do honey too.  LO had a cough/congestion for a few weeks and it finally turned into an ear infection which the pedi said isn't uncommon.

~*Jenna*~

TTC since November 2009.

Currently licensed foster parents with the hope of adopting!  Also pursuing pregnancy through IUI!  First IUI scheduled 10/3/13

Currently loving our placements:

A 1/08

C 4/11

K 6/12

• Options
    imageRochell:

honey - it coats his throat and hopefully makes him feel better - also, if he has post nasal drip, have him sleep on a pillow (or two) or some how incline his bed.

Good luck!

This and we have a nebulizer from DD#1.  The doctor told us if LO gets a cough it was okay to use for her as well.  I don't use it unless it gets really bad and all else fails for a couple of days.  I just hate giving the kids prescription medicine especially something that gets inhaled into their lungs.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

We're in your same boat.  When she wakes up, she coughs a lot, and I've had to go in there so she doesn't make herself throw up by coughing too much (again).  I hold her upright for about a half hour, ease her into bed, and sneak away.

We tried leaving a sippy cup of water in there for her, since she's not good at letting me go away again after she sees me in the middle of the night, but she didn't use it, and she wouldn't even sip out of it when I was holding her after a coughing fit.  It might help your little one, though.

Giving her a bath or taking her into a steamed-up bathroom for a while before bed did actually help her sleep through the night.  It also helped having a humidifier both in her room for at night and also in the living room where plays during the day.  It feels like we live in a rain forest, but it's helping her, so that's worth it.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"