Two Under 2
Options

Help with biting

The 2 year old has been biting the 1 year old now for months. It pretty much started when lil sis was able to crawl around and mess with big girls' stuff. Sometimes it was for a reason, most times for no reason at all, she will just go up to her and bite. I feel like I can't get anything done because I can't leave them alone even for a minute. Heck one time she got bit when I was sitting right there, and turned my head for like 5 seconds to talk to their dad. 

As far as punishment goes, we have tried time outs, we have tried telling her that it hurts my feelings, yelling at her, nothing works. I keep hearing bite back and she won't do it again, but I just can't bring myself to do that. Is this just a teething thing or will it continue? Please help. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Help with biting

• Options
    Ugh yeah we deal with this too. What works for us (for a time) is to take his cars away and put them in time out for the day. First, I put him in timeout while I soothe the little one, then when I'm not fuming anymore, I have him come with me through the whole house and pick up each and every car/train/etc and put it in a big bucket for timeout. The next morning I make a big deal out of letting the cars free from timeout. This seems to stick for weeks at a time, so I like it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Well, if she keeps it up, some other kid will bite her eventually, at least that's what happened with my son at preschool...Try offering her biting beads (those teething rings you keep in the fridge/freezer for a baby) every time she tries to bite.  Remind her biting people is not allowed and that if she needs to bite, she can ask for the biting beads instead.  This really seemed to help my son.  They need an outlet to express their frustration.  Our babysitter, who has been in the busy for 25 plus years, also would ask the kids if they needed to punch a pillow when they were upset.  It seems so basic and silly, but that really helped during tantrums.  Sometimes they can't verbally express how they feel and need to physically get it out!  Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"