Pregnant after IF
Options

What (if any) shots are you getting?

Is it recommended that all of us get a flu shot? I have only gotten the flu shot once in my entire life and have only gotten the flu once (it may have been the year I got the shot oddly enough but I am not certain about that). I need to ask my OB what he wants me to do but was wondering what you ladies are doing.

Also are there any other shots you are getting? I want to get the pertussis vaccine but I think you ask for that right after birth. Am I wrong?

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
TTC since March/April 2010
DX: MFI - less than 1 million sperm, 26% motility
DH put on anastrozole to increase counts
June/July 2011 100 mg Clomid + TS IUI#1 & IUI 2 - BFN :-(
Forced break due to DH getting spinal surgery in August 2011
IVF - January 2012: BFN
FET in April 2012 - BFP at 6dp5dt! Beta #1 at 9dp5dt: 82.5, Beta #2 at 12dp5dt: 352 Beta #3 at 19dp5dt: 6000, saw heartbeat and one little bean at 5W6D!
After nearly 3 years of waiting our LO was born December 18th 2012!

Re: What (if any) shots are you getting?

• Options
    At my first consult with the MFM, he suggested I get the flu and Pertussis vaccines during 3rd Tri.  They also recommended that anyone coming in contact with our babies should have these two vaccines as well, since they'll be born during RSV season.

PAIFW/SAIFW

DS1 born July 2002 (previous marriage).

TTC since Oct 08. DH Dx w/testicular cancer March 09.
    MFI due to retrograde ejaculation/azoospermia.
    5/2 IVF #1 cancelled due to large follie.
    6/14 start Lupron for IVF #1.2. 6/22 start stims.
    7/4 ER and Biopsy.
    7/9 Transferred 2 (1-4BB and 1-3BB) embryos.  4 frosties.
    7/15 +HPT 6dp5dt. 7/18 Beta #1: 193. 7/20 Beta #2: 415.
    8/10 1st u/s - It's triplets!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I got the flu shot at my first OB visit. I usually get it every year as I have Type 1 diabetes and a compromised immune system due to a medication I take.  DH has never gotten a flu shot but he will this year. I am looking into the pertussis vaccine as well.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    TTC# 1 since 5/10
    Me:34 Type 1 Diabetes, Ankylosing Spondylitis, Hypothyroid DH:35 Perfect
    DX: Unexplained IF
    Many IUI's with various meds all BFFN
    IVF #1 11/11 canceled due to OHSS
    IVF #2 Feb/March 2012 ET of 2 on day 3 4/7 BFP! 5/1 u/s blighted ovum
    IVF #3 July 2012 ET of 3 on day 3 7/24 BFP!
    Healthy baby girl born at 36w4d on 3/9/13

TTC #2
    IVF #4 May/June 2014 ER 6/4 18R 8M 8F ET 6/9 1 blast, 2 frosties
    Beta 6/18 BFFN

FET of 2 blasts 7/24...BFP!
    Healthy baby girl born at 36w3d on 3/17/15

TTC#3
    IVF #5 June 2018- PGS planned, no surviving embryos
    IVF #6 August 2018- ET of 2 on day 3 - Chemical pregnancy
    IVF #7 August 2019-....?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I will be getting the flu shot and the pertussis vaccine in the hospital after I deliver.

My m/c last year was shortly after my flu shot. I know it's not likely there is any correlation at all, but it's just hanging out in the back of my head. All of my immediate family members who will be staying with us at some point or another after the baby arrives have already  had both shots!

2/11 Diagnosis: DOR-AMH .62, LPD and MFI-4% Morph
    IVF #1-July 2011 7/9/11-Started Stims
    7/20/11-ER:No eggs in 4/5 follicles. Left the 5th follie intact and converted to an IUI
    8/3/11-Beta #1=BFN,
    Nov, 2011 BFP #1=m/c at 7 wks 3 days
    11/11-AMH .47, IVF #2 March 2012...or not!! Surprise BFP on 2/19. Beta #1=161. Beta #2 305 Our little miracle girl is on her way! Due Oct 29, 2012
    <a href="http://s1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb461/andersenspics/?action=view
  • Options

i got my flu shot as soon as my OB had it- about a month ago. no side effects except a sore arm! i also had it when i was pregnant with my boys 3 years ago.

after my boys were born i got the pertussis vaccine- they came to administer it while i was in the hospital after delivery.

both my boys just got the flu shot this morning, and my husband will also get it. i am kind of scared to have a winter baby! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

CDC recommends all pregnant women receive a flu shot. They say it's safe in any trimester, but my OB says he prefers to wait until 2nd tri. I got it at my 16w appt. The most important reason I followed my DR's/the CDC's advice on the flu shot is that I will pass immunities on to LO, which will hopefully last during the 1st 6 months of his life when he's too young to get the flu shot.

We haven't talked about the pertussis vax, but from what I've seen on TB, it seems to be given after birth in the hospital.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I got the flu shot at my 16 week appointment.

I had a tetnaus booster (with the pertussis vaccine in it) about three years ago, so I'm set there.  I asked DH to get it, and he did a few weeks ago.  From what I understand, it takes two week post pertussis vaccine to offer "full protection"

I also got revaccinated with the MMR before my last cycle, because the effectiveness of the one I had as a kid had worn off.  That said - you can't have it when you're pregnant - or be pregnant within 30 days after.

Me: 35 DH: 37 TTC since 4/2010
    DX: 6/9/2011: Azoo ICSI/IVF only option for biological child
    IVF #1: ER - 9/26 * ET - 10/1 * beta#1 10/13 - 140 * beta#2 10/17 - 477 * beta#3 10/20 - 1101
    1st u/s at 6w6d - one hb * 2nd u/s at 8w3d - no hb detected 11/10/11 * natural m/c 11/13/11
    FET #1 Jan/Feb 2012 - 3 delays - cancelled 2/13
    FET #1.2 - May/June 2012 - ET 6/6/* beta#1 6/15 - 95 * beta #2 6/19 - 322 * beta #3 6/22 - 940
    7/6 1st u/s @ 7 weeks - one beautiful hb - released from RE
    EDD 2/22/2013
    PAIF/SAIF/PGAL welcome
    imageimageimageimage
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I will be getting my pertussis vaccine at my next appointment on Monday and I have to have my MMR redone in the hospital after LO is born.  DH will also be getting his pertussis shot as well as anyone who is going to come in contact with LO for any longer period of time.  I honestly don't plan on getting the flu shot.  The only time I have every gotten the flu has been the years that I actually got the shot.  DH automatically gets the flu shot though in the Navy so he has already had it.
    Trying To Conceive since November 2009
    Dx: PCOS and MFI
    IUI#1-4 all BFN
    IVF#1 January (4R, 4M, 1F) BFP
    Colt was born on 10/27 at 11:50pm. 6lbs and 19 1/4"
    Surpise! Baby #2 is on it's way.  EDD 9.18.14

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I don't get flu shots, but as soon as my regular doctor heard that I was doing IVF this summer, she insisted that I get the tetanus/pertussis combo. 

I heard from some sources that you shouldn't be vaccinated during pregnancy, but most doctors really encourage the pertussis. I would talk to your doctor, but getting the pertussis right after delivery sounds like the best idea...

imageimageimage

TTC since March 2009 // Me and DH - 28
    Testing Summer/Fall 2010 - Unexplained IF
    IUIs #1-4 ~ Clomid/Ovidrel/TI/IUI ~ all BFNs
    IUI #5 ~ Femara/Ovidrel/TI/IUI ~ BFN
    IUIs #6-9 ~ Research Study Meds/Pregnyl/TI/IUI ~ all BFNs
    IVF Consultation, More Testing
    Diagnostic Cycle ~ Mucinex/Progesterone/TI ~ BFN
    IVF #1 ~ Menopur/Bravelle/Ganirelix/Novarel/Progesterone/Lupron
    7R, 6F // 2 transferred // 3 frosties ~ BFN
    FET #1 ~ Estrace/PIO/Lupron
    3 thawed // 2 transferred // 1 lost // no more frosties ~ BFP!!
    Beta #1 - 456 // Beta #2 - 1176 // Beta #3 - 2933 // Beta #4 - 6753
    EDD: May 16, 2013
    Threatened MC at 6w2d
    Bedrest for SCH // 6w2d through 10w1d
    Elevated TSH and Lazy Thyroid DX @ 10w - Started Synthroid
    Finally released from RE at 13w
    Charles Everett ~ Born 5/20/2013

~~ My IF Blog ~~ 

• Options

You should ABSOLUTELY get the flu shot, especially since baby will be born durign flu session.  I got mine the day it was available.  I got the TDAP before cycling but if you haven't had, they will give it to you in the hospital after you give birth.

I will not be allowing anyone to come to the hospital or see baby who haven't gotten both.  DH got his TDAP when I did and is getting his flu shot later today.  MIL and my mom, and my grandparents already have theirs as well.  I told my sis and BIL and SIL if they want to come visit they need to get theirs.

TTC since 07/2009
    Me: PCOS, Blood/Immune Issues DH: Low all 3
    Jun.- Sep. 2010 IUI#1-#3 = BFN
    Oct. 2010 = IVF #1 = B/G Twins (passed away Feb. 2011)
    May 2011 = Myomectomy and trans-abdominal cerclage (TAC)
    Sep. 2011 = Surprise BFP = C/P
    Feb. 2012 = sFET #1 = BFN
    Feb.2012 = Hail Mary IUI #4 = BFN
    April/May 2012 = FET #2 w/our last two embies = BFP (Please let this be it!)
    Beta #1 8dp5/6dt = 234 Beta #2 10dp5/6dt = 695 Beta #3 12dp5/6dt = 1796 Beta #4 17dp5/6dt = 17,888 U/S #1 May 17, 2012 = Twins
    Baby B's heart stop beating at 9 weeks 5 days
    Our little miracle baby is a boy. :)

Baby Boy Owen and Baby Girl Avery were born too early on Feb. 13, 2011 due to a pedunculated fibroid, incompetent cervix and suspected placental abruption.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

"What the heart has once owned and had, it shall never lose." - Henry Ward Beecher
    SAIF/PAIF Welcome
    Lots of love and luck to my PAIF/3T/IF Veteran ladies, especially my dear friend Zookie. Congrats to Papps, Teach84 and Starbuck on their little ones.
  • Options
    imageAegis2005:

I had a tetnaus booster (with the pertussis vaccine in it) about three years ago, so I'm set there.  I asked DH to get it, and he did a few weeks ago.  From what I understand, it takes two week post pertussis vaccine to offer "full protection"

If I were you, I'd verify that.  I thought I had the pertussis part in my last tentanus booster too.  Only to find out after I got whooping cough and gave it to my 2 month old baby that I didn't.  They took pertussis out of the adult vaccines a long time ago and only very recently (within the last year or two) have put it back in.  I highly recommend everyone get vaciinated for this.  It's horrible and you feel awful for several weeks.  The cough lasts months.  It's also highly contagious.

TTC since May 2006. After 3 failed Clomid cycles, 2 failed Injectibles/IUIs, 2 failed IVFs and 1 failed FET, we moved on to adoption! 

Last ditch FET resulted in BFP, and identical twin girls!

• Options
    I normally am against the flu shot, but my OB guilt tripped me so I got it. I'll also get the t-dap (pertussis vaccine) once I'm 25 weeks.
    dx: MFI 0% morph & low count. Occasional Anovulatory cycles.

TTC #1
    • IVF #1 4/21/12 - c/p
    • IVF#2 8/1/12 - BFP! DD arrived 4/10/2013.

TTC #2
    • FET #1 3/18/14 - BFP! DS arrived 11/19/2014.

• Options

Flu shot next week, whooping cough after delivery (per doctor's usual)

MH is getting both as well.  The school he teaches at has had 2 cases of whooping cough last year. 

I think everyone should get the flu shot regardless - I never had the flu ever until last January when I almost died from swine flu and pneumonia- I had to be on a ventilator and was in the hospital for a month, out of work for 3 mos and took a full total 6 mos to get my strength back to normal.  

Even if you get a little achy, tired from the shot, or you do get the flu even though you are vaccinated- I guarantee it won't be as serious or last as long as if you didn't get the shot. 

Surprise BFP after 5 yrs of TTC
  • Options
    My OB must be asleep at the wheel since there has been no mention of an shots for myself (flu or otherwise). I have only gotten the flu shot a few times because my brother is allergic to it and I never know if I could end up having a reaction. 
    TTC Since 3/2010
    Me-36, Unexplained Infertility, DH-35, all clear
    Clomid 50mg 12/2011 = BFN
    Clomid 100mg 1/2012 = BFN, with Cyst
    IVF #1 Lupron/Menopur/Gonal-f/HCG Trigger
    ER 4/19/12 = 11 retrieved, 6 fertilized,
    ET 4/22/12 = 2 transfered (day 3), remaining 3 weren't good enough to freeze
    Beta 5/3 = BFP, 87 Beta #2 5/7 560.9 Beta #3 5/9 1376.5 First u/s One Baby, 125bpm!
    Second u/s, 176bmp! Kicked over to the OB by the RE at 8w. Team Green!! 
    Baby girl J arrived two weeks early! Born into water, med-free. Hooray for Team Pink!

TTC #2 - back to the RE, treatment started 12/2014. 

• Options

imageMrs.AmyDylan:
    My OB must be asleep at the wheel since there has been no mention of an shots for myself (flu or otherwise). I have only gotten the flu shot a few times because my brother is allergic to it and I never know if I could end up having a reaction. 

My OB hasn't mentioned it either and I am due in the dead of winter (and live in upstate NY where we get a lot of snow). Hence the question, lol! Thanks ladies for your advice!

FET in April 2012 - BFP at 6dp5dt! Beta #1 at 9dp5dt: 82.5, Beta #2 at 12dp5dt: 352 Beta #3 at 19dp5dt: 6000, saw heartbeat and one little bean at 5W6D!
  • Options
    imagemdluv21:

You should ABSOLUTELY get the flu shot, especially since baby will be born durign flu session.  I got mine the day it was available.  I got the TDAP before cycling but if you haven't had, they will give it to you in the hospital after you give birth.

I will not be allowing anyone to come to the hospital or see baby who haven't gotten both.  DH got his TDAP when I did and is getting his flu shot later today.  MIL and my mom, and my grandparents already have theirs as well.  I told my sis and BIL and SIL if they want to come visit they need to get theirs.

Yes, I am sending out an email now to approved people who can hold the baby to get their shots, lol. 

• Options

I work on the postpartum unit of my hospital and after delivery we offer: flu shot, MMR, DTaP (pertussis), and the pneumonia vaccine (if elevated risk).

I have to get the flu shot since I work in the hospital, so I am just waiting until I get one at work. I think we should be doing them in the next two-three weeks. I had to get my tetanus booster in '09 so I won't need the DTaP. I am rubella immune so I won't need the MMR. And I don't have any risk factors to be eligible for the pneumo vaccine. 

I am making DH get the flu vaccine this year, he usually never gets it. My mom also never gets it but volunteered to get it this year. I also am making DH and my parents get the DTaP booster. 

• Options
    I will not be getting the flu shot. The one time I got it I had the flu 5 times that year. I rarely get the flu, so that scared me away from ever doing it again. The reality of it is that it only protects you against a few strands that they predict will have the largest outbreak, and there are more like 1000 strands each year. I will be getting the pertussis in the hospital. DH and our parents are also getting it. I just got a tetnus 2 years ago.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

imagelynn0926:
    I will not be getting the flu shot. The one time I got it I had the flu 5 times that year. I rarely get the flu, so that scared me away from ever doing it again. The reality of it is that it only protects you against a few strands that they predict will have the largest outbreak, and there are more like 1000 strands each year. I will be getting the pertussis in the hospital. DH and our parents are also getting it. I just got a tetnus 2 years ago.

Check with your Dr that gave you the tetanus shot (if you haven't already), most offices do the combo vaccine and it also has the pertussis vaccine in it. In that case, you won't need to get the pertussis vaccine when you deliver

• Options
    imageBabyRN2006:

imagelynn0926:

Check with your Dr that gave you the tetanus shot (if you haven't already), most offices do the combo vaccine and it also has the pertussis vaccine in it. In that case, you won't need to get the pertussis vaccine when you deliver

Hmmm, I had it done in the ER after a dog bite. I wonder if they have record of it. Can a test be done to see if I need it? 

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"