Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
Options

possibly diagnosed with PCOS after miscarriage- any link?

I just got back from getting a work physical and was told I should go to the doctor to get a pelvic ultrasound to see if I have PCOS. I went to a walk in clinic so I didn't tell her about my miscarriage or ask if it was related... I'm going to make an appointment to see my family physician but I don't think I can wait that long to know if thats maybe what caused it.

Does anyone else have PCOS? can you help me please?

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Re: possibly diagnosed with PCOS after miscarriage- any link?

• Options

I have PCOS so maybe I can help you. First off, I really recommend reading up on PCOS and understanding it before you start working with doctors. In my opinion, you want to make sure you're getting seen by the right people. When they say they are going to do a pelvic ultrasound, they probably mean they want to see if you have the "string of pearls" ovaries. This ultrasound is usually done around CD1 or CD2. What this means is that they see a number of small follies developing whereas most women might have fewer developing at the beginning of their cycle.

But there are many other signs of PCOS that you need to exhibit in order to be classified PCOS. The medical community usually sticks with "exhibiting 3 signs or more" as a way to diagnose. Other signs can be elevated sugar levels (that's what I have), excessive hair (like on your upper lip or arms), loss of hair (on your head), overweight (although not really that common in PCOS patients), elevated levels of testosterone (you would need a blood test to determine this), acne, etc. Look online for more information on all the possible signs.

Yes, PCOS can assist in miscarriage or cause elevated risk for one. I know that my RE believes strongly that elevated sugar levels can inhibit getting pregnant and staying pregnant. But there are drugs to help out. A common one is called Metformin. Many women take it who aren't ovulating and need help ovulating but women will also take it for elevated sugar levels. It takes about three months to really work in your system.

I hope that helps. You didn't mention anything else about why they are recommending you get checked out for PCOS. They must think you exhibit one other sign or more. Or are they just generally running down a list of things you should get checked out for? Have you been under the care of an RE? Are you having trouble ovulating?

Best of luck and feel free to ask more questions.

Cali

TTC since April 2010, age 40, 3 miscarriages in total IVF w/PGD June 2012 - failed cycle with a genetically perfect embryo, unexplained infertility January 2013 - On to adoption!!!
  • Options
    I have PCOS as well and I wanted to add the low progestrone levels are caused from PCOS as well. 
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Anniversary PCOS, Bi-Corninate Uterus, TTC 9 months, 1st MC- at 8 weeks 6 days, 9/23/12
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have PCOS as well.  I can tell you that it has taken my husband and I 3 years and 4 losses to get to where we are now.  I will also tell you that I believe that Metformin made a difference in the viability of this pregnancy.  Your loss could be due to PCOS but it could be other factors as well.  I wish you luck in finding answers.
  • Options

i have excessive body hair and sweating, (those two may be linked to each other) and my periods are extremely abnormal.  I can go 3 months without a period and then 4 months with one and its always different.  As for as the period goes, my doctor prescribed me estrogen pills to take when i start my period but i took them and was a complete hormonal mess.  I couldn't even stand myself.  My doctor doesn't know why my hormones are being crazy, but i don't understand why she never would've brought this up to me and a clinic doctor would've.

I dont know what an RE is.

If i have PCOS, that would be bittersweet... At least i know whats wrong and i can help it... but i would give anything to have my baby....

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"