Natural Birth

Curious and Anxious

I am quite curious about natural birth. I may be eligible for a vbac and if I am, I wanted to give birth to my DD2 in a drug free environment. With DD1, I wasn't given a choice on whether I wanted a vaginal birth or not because I had placenta previa at 24.5 weeks. I had to have an emergency c-section. She had to go to the NICU.

This time, I am a few weeks from being full term, and if I am eligible for a vbac, I want to give birth naturally. I am curious to know if there are any women who had a natural birth after a c-section? I will be in a hospital again due to the complications I've had with this pregnancy and the previous one, but my hospital is natural friendly. They have a midwifery center attached to L&D with tools (bouncy ball, bathtubs, etc) in ALL of their rooms regardless of your choice to go traditional or natural. I am scared it will be too painful or that I will be too weak to resist the drugs. Any guidance or suggestions on how I can do the natural thing if given the choice of a vbac? Thanks in advance ladies. 

Re: Curious and Anxious

• I have lots of questions.  Did they section you at 24 weeks for previa or abruption?  How come they aren't telling you if you're a candidate for a vbac yet?  Are you doing anything to prepare physically/emotionally for a med-free birth?  Why does your birth center call medicated birth "traditional"?  :)  

I saw an interesting quote on FB the other day - your contractions can't be stronger than you, because they are you.  In other words, you're stronger than your contractions.  Everyone finds the resolve to get through an unmedicated birth in different ways - some need a lot of info every step of the way, some need to trust in their body's ability, some need relaxation techniques, some need someone to tell them what's normal and what isn't, some need a little of all of that.  Basic suggestions I have are to stay mobile, avoid unnecessary interventions, find what relaxes you, learn what unmedicated birth feels like emotionally and physically so you can affirm for yourself what is normal, and hire someone to help you if at all possible.

• imageCelyn:

I have lots of questions.  Did they section you at 24 weeks for previa or abruption?  How come they aren't telling you if you're a candidate for a vbac yet?  Are you doing anything to prepare physically/emotionally for a med-free birth?  Why does your birth center call medicated birth "traditional"?  :)  

I saw an interesting quote on FB the other day - your contractions can't be stronger than you, because they are you.  In other words, you're stronger than your contractions.  Everyone finds the resolve to get through an unmedicated birth in different ways - some need a lot of info every step of the way, some need to trust in their body's ability, some need relaxation techniques, some need someone to tell them what's normal and what isn't, some need a little of all of that.  Basic suggestions I have are to stay mobile, avoid unnecessary interventions, find what relaxes you, learn what unmedicated birth feels like emotionally and physically so you can affirm for yourself what is normal, and hire someone to help you if at all possible.

It was placenta previa. The placenta was attached but because my cervix was dilated, it began to bulge through. As for being a candidate for vbac I found out at my doctors appointment today. My doc knows me well enough to not tell me news over the phone just in case I have questions, I want to see someone face to face. Also, the previous hospital I delivered at took forever and a day to transfer medical records to my new hospital. As for the answer, I am not a candidate for vbac. I have a classic cut and was told having a vbac would be extremely dangerous.  Guess I got all excited and anxious for nothing, but thanks for responding to my post. Your words of encouragement and wisdom are appreciated. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"