Preemies
Options

2 months not making eye contact?

My almost two month old little guy doesn't make very much eye contact. I didn't say anything about it because I thought I was being crazy, but today my husband (who isn't very observant) said LO never looks at him. Ugh. Now I'm super stressed out about it. Even when we feed him it looks like hes always looking off into the distance over our shoulder. If we move to get in his line of vision he'll make eye contact for a few seconds then look away right away.

Could this be a preemie thing, or does he need more time? could that be something that is delayed because he's a preemie? I saw that not making eye contact by 2 months is a sign of autism. 

All I know is that I'm super stressed about it now.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: 2 months not making eye contact?

• Options
    If your son is only 2 weeks adjusted give it more time. 
  • Options
    Is he two months adjusted? Or two months actual? Sorry I'm on my phone so I can't see if you have a ticker. Preemies as you probably know tend to follow their adjusted age for milestones, not actual. My little guy is almost 4 months old/5 weeks adjusted. He just started making eye contact and holding it in the past couple of weeks. Before that he would look briefly and then look away, like what you describe.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagejennbent:
    Is he two months adjusted? Or two months actual? Sorry I'm on my phone so I can't see if you have a ticker. Preemies as you probably know tend to follow their adjusted age for milestones, not actual. My little guy is almost 4 months old/5 weeks adjusted. He just started making eye contact and holding it in the past couple of weeks. Before that he would look briefly and then look away, like what you describe.

He's two months actual, two weeks adjusted. Thanks, that makes me feel better.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    As a general rule, I don't think I would ever worry if my baby did not meet a milestone by her actual age, and I don't think you have to either! Even if there's somewhat of a delay when it comes to adjusted age, there is a range of "normal" when it comes to milestones, even for FT babies. I'm sure your little guy is just fine. "Expect" milestones to come more toward their adjusted age, anything that comes at their actual age is just a great bonus! 
    March 2017 September Siggy Challenge: Favorite Fall Things

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I had this very same concern but within the past few weeks LO made a huge turn and is making tons of eye contact now. He is about 4 weeks adjusted now. I was very concerned as well but I would give it another few weeks and you will probably see drastic differences. Mine started being more alert, eye contact etc almost overnight. 
    Fraternal twin boys born at 33 weeks 4 days Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Give him more time.  My LO was 4 weeks early and didn't smile (intentionally) until she was 10 weeks.  I also remember wondering if her lack of smiling, eye contact, was something to worry about, but she just needed more time. 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"