Working Moms

about using scissors...

my kids are a little over 3. I asked at daycare if they use scissors b/c DD has started asking me for some. She said a little but that they need to do more & it is definitely something that is hard & needs to be done at home as well as at school...so today I went & got them some preschool scissors at target that are blunt & have this spring thing you can engage to make it bounce back open when they're first starting out... she was SO excited but quickly got discouraged trying to figure it and of course I was very little help, I tried to show her patiently, put her fingers in & did it with my hand over hers, etc...

Any tips or is it just a matter of exposure?

ETA meant to post this on 24+ sorry but if anyone has some tips that would be great :)

Re: about using scissors...

• My 3 yo is a bit stubborn and for us it was a matter of exposure that worked.  For months, she would hold the scissors upside down, including turning her wrist and refused to let us show her how to hold them correctly.

Wait an hr and try to show her again. At this age, they get frustrated easily. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • DS just started using them correctly. He normally likes the cut the sale papers when I am clipping coupons on Sunday mornings. It took some time.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Matter of exposure.  Honestly, it wasn't until last year when DD really began using them properly but it just helped getting her (and now DS) used to using them.

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• Former kindergarten teacher here. Kudos to you for giving her scissors! I can't tell you how many kids came into my class who could not cut because they had little to no exposure with them. There are tons of printable cut and paste crafts you can print out online to help her practice and catch her interest. Also you could get a book like this to help her (just search amazon for scissor skills and lots of books pop up).

https://www.amazon.com/Preschool-Practice-Scissor-Skills-Ages/dp/1601591160/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1348804095&sr=8-2&keywords=scissor+skills

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Sometimes the preschool scissors aren't great at cutting paper, which gets kids frustrated. 

Try starting with cutting playdough.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"