April 2012 Moms
Options

Sleep sacks with arms a sids risk?

I was googling these because I wanted to buy more of them and I saw some stuff about how they might be a sids risk? Has anyone else heard that?

I am thinking ahead to when I am in ireland for christmas. Seems like everyone likes to keep their houses cold there and I thought the warmer the sleep sack the better...

Also I've already been putting her in a fleece sack with arms some nights, depending on which sack is clean.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Sleep sacks with arms a sids risk?

• Options
    WTF...every darn thing out there now is a SIDS risk it seems...jeebus, as if new parents aren't already scared out of their minds, you can't even put a warm sleep sack on your baby...ugh, why does it say they are a risk? 
  • Options
    I believe it said because of overheating and the risk of them "rebreathing" into the sleeves...
    But the sleeves on the sack I use are snug like her pjs so I dunno? Maybe if they had big billowy sleeves?!

I feel like overheating wouldn't be an issue if you knew it was going to be cold. When I am at my moms if I wake in the night and have to pee I am cold getting out of bed even with fleece pjs. Cheap ba$tards lol
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am assuming that they are talking about much younger babies...like those who can't turn their heads if placed on their tummy, and got their head stuck near a sleeve.  I feel like our babies are old enough that that's maybe not an issue?  I put footie pajamas on L and then a fleece sleep sack over him (with arms) because anything less than that and his poor hands are face are ice cold.  He seems to be much more comfortable like this.
  • Options
    What about a sleep sack with no arms and just wearing a long sleeve thermal type shirt? or would that be bad too??wtf
    Oct1201212 Twins born at 34w2d, Allison, 3lb,4oz-Ethan, 4lb7oz, both 16 1/2 inches. Out of Difficulties Grow Miracles BestBuddiesBoy AprilPosseMultiLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

imageChelseyB5186:
     I put footie pajamas on L and then a fleece sleep sack over him (with arms) because anything less than that and his poor hands are face are ice cold.  He seems to be much more comfortable like this.

We did this with DS1 during the winter, but then again I have no problem putting a knitted blanket on him too if I check on him and he was cold. 

• Options
    Ahhhh I hate that I have to stress about everything. I was just putting her in footie pjs and then I was told she was too cold, so I started putting her in a sleep sack with sleeves. I always read things like this after she is already in bed.
  • Options

It seems like just being a baby is a SIDS risk. I think "they" have gone so far in alerting the public to potential risks that it's hard to take it seriously anymore. When DH and I debated putting Kai to sleep on his belly, we did a bunch of research and ended up feeling that the statistics really don't make a lot of sense. There are so many confounding factors.

My thought is, 90% of SIDS cases happen before 6 months. So it's already a very slim possibility. Then the contribution that sleepwear actually makes to SIDS risk is probably really tiny. So, as with so many things, driving to daycare is probably about a million times riskier than putting her in a sleep sack with arms.

You have to feel comfortable with your decision. Just my two cents, when it gets cold here I'll probably use a sleepsack with sleeves. 

• Options
    I am a huge worrier when it comes to SIDS and sleep sacks with arms don't worry me at all. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Where are these sleep sacks with arms that you speak of?

I would so get one, but a google search didn't come up with anything for me other than their risk, but I don't see how they are more dangerous than a normal footed sleeper. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimageimage
  • Options

Yeah I just put her to sleep in the sleep sack with arms, screw it of all the "dangerous" things I just can't rationally believe it is bad to use a sleep sack with arms!

someone gave us the one we have, it's Carter's.

something like these:  https://www.carters.com/carters/Microfleece-Sleep-Bag/V_127-765,default,pd.html?dwvar_V__127-765_color=LightBlue&navid=carters-xsellPDPYMAL

• Options
    When it's chilly, I do a onesie (long or short sleeve, depending how cold) and extra pair of socks, then a heavier microfleece footie sleeper. I'm just not doing sleep sacks b/c DD rolls in her sleep and I feel like that would hinder her somehow. She's a flailer!

DS - 7.2006 - C-Section b/c Breech
    DS2 - 4.2008 - Successful Vbac
    DD - 5.2012 - Successful Vbac
  • Options
    Sleepsacks don't really work for us because she can't seem to roll right in them and she sleeps on her side. But I would not worry about them for SIDS. I don't get it, wouldn't any type of fleece pajamas have the same issue? The only thing I can think of is the arms on the one she has are pretty big and since it's a big sack it rides up a little.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"