Baby Names
Options

Kerry as a boy's name

thoughts?

it originally was but got taken over as a girl's name in the 70s 

Re: Kerry as a boy's name

• Options
    I think it will cause a lot of conflicts for him in school, so I wouldn't personally name my son Kerry.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

a small point of info-

my name is Kerry and I get called "Mr." etc ALL THE TIME!

I think there is no winning. And I won't use it, just curious

(and as a Kerry I feel like Carey, Carrie, etc. are totally different names. Especially if you live in places where the accent pronouces them differently- ie here in new york Kerry = Keh-ree and Carrie = Caaaah-ree)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Well, I love it and have it on my boy long list. I personally know of 3 youngish male Kerrys (teens or younger) and one male Kerry a few years younger than me, and zero female Kerrys with this spelling, so it's not a girl name to me at all. Cary and Carey are also male spellings of the name, but my DH prefers the spelling Kerry. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    VOTE on my Name List
  • Options
    The 'Kerry' spelling looks very feminine to me.

Like a PP mentioned, when spelled 'Carey' I automatically think boy though. Interesting.

Either way, I would never name my son this.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I definitely wouldn't side eye it.  I went to high school with a Kerry and I know another Kerry probably late 40s/early 50s.  But personally I wouldn't choose it for a boy just because I know so many other Carrie/Keri/Kari's that are female and I wouldn't want my son having to deal with it forever.
    BFP 1/8/10, MC 1/15/10 | BFP 3/20/10, MC 6/24/10 | BFP 12/13/10...EDD 8/22/11...DD born 6/7/11 @ 29 weeks 1 day Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

No.

Reminds me of the time I met a guy named Tracy. I felt really bad for him. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I wouldn't use it but I wouldn't be surprised if I met a male Kerry.
  • Options
    Ashley was originally a boys name too but got taken over by girls.  I still think of Kerry as a girl's name
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I knew I guy a year ahead of me in school named Carey (not sure of the spelling).  I also went to college with a guy named Tracy.  It probably helped that they were both, like, 6'4".  I went to high school with a guy named Ashley, not tall, but our best sprinter by a lot.  So in my experience some (but not many) guys can definitely pull it off.  I do admire their parents for being confident enough to use those names!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    12/1/11 BFP, missed m/c diagnosed @ 9w2d
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Kerry is definitely a masculine name in my opinion and I know a few male Kerry's. Keri is feminine to me. I love the name for a boy.
  • Options

I still like it for a boy. It is unisex now with the Kerry, Cary, Carey spellings being more masculine.

Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options

It's my name. I'm a girl born in the 80's. 

I realize this is the male spelling, but it's obviously too feminine for me.

BFP #1 - 11/7/12 * M/C - 12/8/12 @ 7W6D
    BFP #2 - 3/2/13 * DS1 - BORN ON EDD - 11/13/13
    BFP #3 - 11/7/14 * DS2 - BORN ON EDD - 07/21/15 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    All I can think of is the politician...
  • Options

It is the male spelling of my name so I would think boy.  I only knew one IRL, he was a year younger than me in HS.  I think if you have a strong Irish background and /or it's important in your family than it could work.  But I totally feel bad for the boys out there that have names like Kelly, Ashley etc. 

ETA: I have a FB friend that just posted she was "in a relationship" with a Kelly.  I seriously said WTF and had to click to see if it was a girl (since she last dated a guy I know).

• Options
    imagelady dixneuf:

a small point of info-

my name is Kerry and I get called "Mr." etc ALL THE TIME!

I think there is no winning. And I won't use it, just curious

(and as a Kerry I feel like Carey, Carrie, etc. are totally different names. Especially if you live in places where the accent pronouces them differently- ie here in new york Kerry = Keh-ree and Carrie = Caaaah-ree)

My name is also Kerry.  I could have written this exact post.

BFP #1: 08/17/2012  DD1 born 05/01/2013

BFP #2: 07/31/2015  M/C 09/23/2015 (11.5 weeks)

BFP #3: 12/16/2015 DD2 born 8/27/2016
  • Options
    Much too feminine for me. I wouldn't do it.
  • Options
    I HATE Kerry for a boy. But maybe it's b/c I know an awful person w/ this name and I think it's very feminine sounding.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I know a guy Kerry in real life - probably in his 60s now.  He worked about 6 cubes down from me, Carrie, and another co-worker, Kari.  Things got pretty screwy in that office!  *grin*

His major complaint is that people assumed he was a woman, despite the traditionally male spelling of his name.  While the spelling Kerry says "man" to me, I think that Carrie/Carey/Cari/Kari/etc has really gone to the girls.

• Options
    My friends friend has twin boys (10 mos) that are Carey and Henry. I think this spelling looks "boy" while Kerry looks "girl."
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"