November 2011 Moms
Options

I need help (teachers esp.) NBR

Hi Ladies! My 5YO started Kindergarten this year. It's a half day program much like her previous 2 years of preschool. Well she gets up early now, but we try to ensure she gets her required amount of sleep every school night (11 hours), but things are still going down hill fast with her behavior at home. I guess the kind of help I'm looking for is how can I educate myself on the behavior of young children? Are there any good books to read? She loves her independence and I thought we worked well within her limits, but I can't handle doing nothing about her 25-30 minute scream/cry fests anymore.

I'm also working on getting her to take a nap in the afternoons since she says she's tired after school, but today was the only day I've been successful. However, I would rather a nap not come at the price of her crying herself to sleep for 20 minutes.

Thanks for listening (reading) and for any help you can provide!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: I need help (teachers esp.) NBR

• Options

I teach 1st/2nd grade at an alternative school that focuses on behavior. So I have my share of tantrums/fits. The best thing you can provide is structure. The same thing (or close to) every day. When children can predict what is going to happen less, their anxiety goes significantly down. Provide simple 1-3 step directions, so that way they don't get confused or muddled in the unimportant. Provide at most 2 choices. When given absolute authority/ independence, negative behavior ensues, quick.  My school uses a Boys Town Model for approaching/ correcting behavior. They have TONS of parent resources, plus I can pretty much say the model in my sleep. It provides praise, while also providing feedback or criticism on why the "bad" behavior choice they made is "wrong".

Boys Town has a program called Common Sense Parenting. https://www.boystown.org/educators/workshops/common-sense-parenting-authorized-parent-trainer It might be worth looking into, although I don't know the specifics of your daughter's behaviors besides the tantrums.  If you have any questions about this, please message me!

Married 02.06.10
    DS1 born 11.19.11
    DS2 born 07.02.14

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

I realized I gave you the link for the Training seminars. It was the link I was given from my district. I found this book on amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Common-Sense-Parenting-School-Aged-Children/dp/1889322709

Married 02.06.10
    DS1 born 11.19.11
    DS2 born 07.02.14

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Does she come home and scream/tantrum  every day?  Apparently that is how my sister handled the stress of kindergarten and my mom said that often my sister just needed to scream (she wasn't being mean or violent or responding to anything at home so my mom just let her have a good scream.)  Also,  it may be worthwhile to talk to her teacher(s).  Perhaps there is something happening at school that is triggering the behavior at home.  Best of luck!

BFP #1 10/13/09 EDD 06/20/10 DS Born on 06/26/10
    BFP #2 03/08/11 EDD 11/16/11 DD Born on 11/04/11
    BFP #3 08/29/12 EDD 05/06/13 M/C on 08/30/12
    BFP #4 11/01/12 EDD 07/09/2013 M/C on 12/28/12
    BFP #5 04/30/13 EDD 01/03/14 DS Born on 01/02/14
    BFP #6 01/11/15 EDD 09/22/15 M/C 03/09/15
  • Options
    imagealysson.lawless:

I teach 1st/2nd grade at an alternative school that focuses on behavior. So I have my share of tantrums/fits. The best thing you can provide is structure. The same thing (or close to) every day. When children can predict what is going to happen less, their anxiety goes significantly down. Provide simple 1-3 step directions, so that way they don't get confused or muddled in the unimportant. Provide at most 2 choices. When given absolute authority/ independence, negative behavior ensues, quick.  My school uses a Boys Town Model for approaching/ correcting behavior. They have TONS of parent resources, plus I can pretty much say the model in my sleep. It provides praise, while also providing feedback or criticism on why the "bad" behavior choice they made is "wrong".

Boys Town has a program called Common Sense Parenting. https://www.boystown.org/educators/workshops/common-sense-parenting-authorized-parent-trainer It might be worth looking into, although I don't know the specifics of your daughter's behaviors besides the tantrums.  If you have any questions about this, please message me!

Thanks for all your help! I feel like I'm drowning in my lack of knowledge to help my DD. This method of parenting makes complete sense to me and fits my character. I think when I child knows why the choice they made was bad, they will understand why it is important to make the right choice next time. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

• Options

imageLittleMommaBlueHen:
    Does she come home and scream/tantrum  every day?  Apparently that is how my sister handled the stress of kindergarten and my mom said that often my sister just needed to scream (she wasn't being mean or violent or responding to anything at home so my mom just let her have a good scream.)  Also,  it may be worthwhile to talk to her teacher(s).  Perhaps there is something happening at school that is triggering the behavior at home.  Best of luck!

Oh wow! That must have been trying for your mom! Luckily she doesn't do that exactly. She comes home everyday saying how tired she is and how she wants to take a nap, but then she can't settle down to take one. So she'll end up getting in trouble and being sent to her room, then she cries her heart out and falls asleep. I've been wondering if maybe we should look at switching her into the afternoon class. But I know that will only side-step our challenges now because she will have class all day next year. I think you're right. I need to raise my concerns with her teacher and guidance councelor. Thank you so much for your imput! I feel like I'm at the end of my rope here!

• Options
    imageRedCamaro:
    imagealysson.lawless:

Thanks for all your help! I feel like I'm drowning in my lack of knowledge to help my DD. This method of parenting makes complete sense to me and fits my character. I think when I child knows why the choice they made was bad, they will understand why it is important to make the right choice next time. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

your welcome! I'm glad I could help! It really helps with curbing these behaviors in younger children when they know their choices will and can affect other students. good luck!

PS. what is your feeling on half day kinder? 

Married 02.06.10
    DS1 born 11.19.11
    DS2 born 07.02.14

• Options
    imagealysson.lawless:

your welcome! I'm glad I could help! It really helps with curbing these behaviors in younger children when they know their choices will and can affect other students. good luck!

I'm not really sure what to think. My DD has had 2 years of preschool, so I feel like this is just more of the same. I went to full day kindergarten, so I'm in favor for full day. My mother pointed out that she may be bored in class. She's been reading since March and is moving up to the next level. I'm so proud of her and I want to keep her focused and challenged in a healthy way. I just feel like I'm failing to raise the girl she's becoming right now.

• Options
    imageRedCamaro:
    imagealysson.lawless:

I'm not really sure what to think. My DD has had 2 years of preschool, so I feel like this is just more of the same. I went to full day kindergarten, so I'm in favor for full day. My mother pointed out that she may be bored in class. She's been reading since March and is moving up to the next level. I'm so proud of her and I want to keep her focused and challenged in a healthy way. I just feel like I'm failing to raise the girl she's becoming right now.

I would say, as a primary grade teacher, she may be able to read ahead of her class. If this is the case, talk to her teacher and express your concerns. I know I have a couple kiddos who are WAY ahead of the rest and I always am finding activities to accommodate their needs. You may also want to ask her teacher about behaviors and when they typically occur. Is it during Reading? If so, she might be ready to read advanced text.

I also went to full day kinder. I feel like half day is a total waste, but I keep my opinions to myself.

Married 02.06.10
    DS1 born 11.19.11
    DS2 born 07.02.14

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"