Natural Birth

2 cm for 3 weeks now..4 days til due date

Pregnant with my 2nd child and already labor is very different from my first. With my first child, I went into labor naturally 3 days before my due date,  I went from 0% efaced 0 cm dilated to days later having regular contractions every 5 mins, when we went to the hospital they checked me and I was 3 cm, so they kept me. It was so clear cut that I was in labor...

With this pregnancy, I'm 4 days til due date and I've been 2 cm dilated and 60% efaced for the past 3 weeks and no labor signs or contractions at all. I'm patiently waiting for her to come naturally like my first, but she seems very content in there! haha I want a natural delivery like I had with my son, but i'm worried because my doctor is talking about inducing me if I don't go by my due date.

I'm actually affraid of being induced with the pitocin, as I said I like the all natural route.I heard pitocin makes labor harder, more painful, and sometimes causes complications. Then again I heard some people say it made the labor quicker and they loved it. I just hope she comes on her own SOON!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: 2 cm for 3 weeks now..4 days til due date

• Why does your doctor want to induce by your EDD?  That would be my first question to him.

I was induced with DD and did not enjoy it at all.  I'll leave it at that because you don't need my negative story at a time like this.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Currently going through our second deployment. Can't wait for Zoe to meet her daddy!

• imagedanienross:

Why does your doctor want to induce by your EDD?  That would be my first question to him.

I was induced with DD and did not enjoy it at all.  I'll leave it at that because you don't need my negative story at a time like this.

I agree with this.  I dont understand why you would ever get induced on your EDD unless there are medical reasons. LO has plenty of time if your doc will let you go the normal 10-14 days overdue. All pregnancies and labors and deliveries are different- I wouldnt worry about it. With DS I was 2 cm and 50% effaced for a few weeks. I went into labor 1 day overdue and he was born 6 hours later.

Mom to Carter, Kendall, Kiersten and Baby O #4

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Here is where internal exams do nobody any good.

You're not even at your EDD and you're worried about being induced.

Drink some tea (raspberry leaf), go for a walk, get yourself some afternoon delight and revel in the easy bliss of having only one child to care for. 

Smile

promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
  • Is your baby engaged yet?  When you feel the top of your pelvic bone and move upward toward your belly, do you feel the bone and then smoothness or the bone and then a bump?  Is your baby's back on your left side or right?
  • I've heard its not uncommon for women who have had one or more children already to just open up like that. You are not laboring yet but your OB seems to be acting as if you are...

Try not to stress over it and try not to get induced on your due date. It seems like your OB has little to no experience with your situation and is scared and just wants the baby out.

I think if you just relax your nerves and stay active that your openness could easily transition into labor naturally. Talk to your OB about why she/he wants to induce and try to push for a longer timeline. It would be very different if you were laboring and only very slowly dilating/effacing. That would mean that your baby is ready to come out but isn't able to and that's a problem. From what you say, it seems as if she isn't ready to come just yet but that your cervix is getting ready JIC. I think your baby will come out naturally on her own if she's given the chance.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagemrsodonnell12:
    imagedanienross:

Why does your doctor want to induce by your EDD?  That would be my first question to him.

I agree with this.  I dont understand why you would ever get induced on your EDD unless there are medical reasons. LO has plenty of time if your doc will let you go the normal 10-14 days overdue. All pregnancies and labors and deliveries are different- I wouldnt worry about it. With DS I was 2 cm and 50% effaced for a few weeks. I went into labor 1 day overdue and he was born 6 hours later.

Yes  This.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageCelyn:
    Is your baby engaged yet? nbsp;When you feel the top of your pelvic bone and move upward toward your belly, do you feel the bone and then smoothness or the bone and then a bump? nbsp;Is your baby's back on your left side or right?

Shes head down and ready, i feel pelvic bone then bump and her backs on my left side...
  • If i dont go by my due date then he wants to schedule an induction. Sorry for confusion..im just worried because i dont like to be medicated. I want to go naturally and have her natural thats all. I heard pitocin can cause complications so it worries me. Hopefully she comes soon
  • Unless there is a medical condition where she needs to come out, there is no reason to induce at your due date. I was 2cms and 50 effaced for weeks and went into labor on my own at 40w 1 day.
  • imagedreamsweetlee:
    If i dont go by my due date then he wants to schedule an induction. Sorry for confusion..im just worried because i dont like to be medicated. I want to go naturally and have her natural thats all. I heard pitocin can cause complications so it worries me. Hopefully she comes soon

And we're trying to tell you that unless there is a medical reason, there is no need to set an induction yet.  You deserve to give yourself the best chance to go naturally, not put yourself on your OBs timetable.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Currently going through our second deployment. Can't wait for Zoe to meet her daddy!

• imagedanienross:

imagedreamsweetlee:
    If i dont go by my due date then he wants to schedule an induction. Sorry for confusion..im just worried because i dont like to be medicated. I want to go naturally and have her natural thats all. I heard pitocin can cause complications so it worries me. Hopefully she comes soon

And we're trying to tell you that unless there is a medical reason, there is no need to set an induction yet.  You deserve to give yourself the best chance to go naturally, not put yourself on your OBs timetable.

Yup- this.

Mom to Carter, Kendall, Kiersten and Baby O #4

BabyFruit Ticker
  • You might want to check out spinningbabies.com paying attention to the info about rotation and engaging the baby.
  • Ditto evryone else. A due date is not a "due by" date, and saving for any legitimate medical reason, you shoukdn't get induced for a date on the calendar. Also, many if not most care providers dont even do cervical checks anymore because they dont tell you anything worth knowing. I didnt have one with either pregnancy. Let nature take its course unless something comes up that requires action.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagedreamsweetlee:

Are we talking about scheduling an induction or actually doing an induction if you don't go by your EDD?  My MWs like to schedule inductions early, so it's 'on the book', but don't recommend induction until the evening of 41w6d.  So in other words, they scheduled an induction at my 39w appointment, but it was for 3 weeks out and I never needed it as most women don't.  So I guess I'm just not understanding your post.

If he wants to induce you on your EDD without cause then I would have a definite problem with that, it's called an estimated due date for a reason!  Keep in mind that no matter what your doctor's recommendation, you can always refuse!  

• I never had internals so I have no idea what my "progress" was like before my labors, but my daughter was born at 39 weeks, 3 days and my son was born at 41 weeks exactly.  I thought he would be earlier since he was my second, but every baby is different and they all have their own timetables!  

I would not even entertain the idea of an induction until I was past 42 weeks or there was some other medical issue going on.  

imageimage 
  • imagedreamsweetlee:

Tell your doctor to back off! If you're healthy and she's healthy, there's no reason to induce. It'll happen.

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• imagemrsodonnell12:
    imagedanienross:

imagedreamsweetlee:

Yup- this.

I agree.  This is why I am not a fan of internal exams.  They just create more opportunity for unneeded intervention.  Just say no.  To internal exams and induction.  Unless there's a valid medical reason, I don't see the reasoning. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"