Baby Showers

Gift Cards

So, my Amazon and Target registry have the option of adding giftcards. I've heard from some people that its tacky...but they do offer that option so i'm assuming its not that unusual for people to do it. I would like to add gift cards, but i wont if its considered tacky.

Re: Gift Cards

• In my opinion, registering for gift cards is just registering for cash, I am totally put off by it. If I want to give you money I will do so without being told how much. It especially kills me when I see they put how many of each they want, 3-$20, 4-$50, etc.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• I would think people will buy a gift card if that's what they want to buy, regardless of if it's on the registry or not. If I didn't see anything on the registry I really wanted to get, I would just buy a gift card, and wouldn't even think to make sure they registered for it.
  • Loading the player...
  • I think it's totally fine. I have never thought twice about people having that on their registries.

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I honestly think that you don't need to register for gift cards. Usually, people will give you a gift card if they don't see anything that they would like to get you off of the registry. I honestly would not feel comfortable asking for gift cards/cash on my registries.
  • imageSmileyGirl18:
    imageGreyhound78:
    So, my Amazon and Target registry have the option of adding giftcards. I've heard from some people that its tacky...but they do offer that option so i'm assuming its not that unusual for people to do it. I would like to add gift cards, but i wont if its considered tacky.
    In my opinion, I think it is pefectly acceptable. Some people rather give gift cards than cash and this way they know what stores will be useful to you.

Okay, but if you already have a registry, and someone is looking at it, then they know what stores will be useful to you. There is no need to register for gift cards, if they want to get you a gift card, they will do so.

• On the Target registry you simply just choose wheter you would like gift cards or not.

I am so glad we did this, at our first shower a lot of people got us a small gift with a gift card so we could get whatever type/size/brand diapers we will need at a given time. If it said I registered for 10 $100 gift cards, then no I wouldn't like it.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I haven't seen the lists like PP mentioned, but on my registry it just allows the option (target) Of buying giftcards. I think it's done in a decent way. I usually use this option when I am unable to make it to a shower. It does ask or list how many it just gives the option. If you go in store you really don't need this step, but ordering online this option makes it a little easier to send it. 

Oops! Posted this before I saw Brooke's comment. But yes same here.  

• I would side eye it.  People know that gift cards are a welcome gift and if they are looking at your registry, they know where you would like gift cards to. 
    11/2010 Diagnosed with PCOS 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19 

• Yeah, I would.  If you don't spell every last thing out for your guests, they are likely to screw it up.  No one has ever heard of a gift card before, so you're best to just go ahead and place it on your registry in big bold letters. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Little Man (4 years old---holy cow)
    He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  
  • imageBallSox:
    Yeah, I would.  If you don't spell every last thing out for your guests, they are likely to screw it up.  No one has ever heard of a gift card before, so you're best to just go ahead and place it on your registry in big bold letters. 

This.  I mean, who would EVER think to give a gift card?  That just blew my mind!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I don't see it as something that needs to be actually listed, though.  If I don't see anything I want to buy and I don't have any other ideas, then I'll just on my own give a gift card.  I don't need to be TOLD "Oh- you can just give me a GC ".
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• imageEastCoastBride:
    I don't see it as something that needs to be actually listed, though.  If I don't see anything I want to buy and I don't have any other ideas, then I'll just on my own give a gift card.  I don't need to be TOLD "Oh- you can just give me a GC ".

But how would you know what gift card to get?

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• imageMelRC117:
    This whole post is cracking me up.  We assume our guests are just plain stupid that if we don't suggest gift cards they wouldn't think of it.  If people want to give a gift card they will.  If people want to buy from the registry, they will.  If people want to buy you a cute outfit they loved from a store you didn't register at, they will.  A registry is basically a list of suggestions anyways.  I guess you could always return gift cards from stores you didn't register at anyways for store credit ;)

4 words: 

Plastic

Jungle

dot

com

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Little Man (4 years old---holy cow)
    He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"