VBAC
Options

Marginal Placenta Previa and VBAC

I had a scheduled C section at 38 weeks with DS due to a complete placenta previa.  Now I am expecting DD with a marginal placenta previa. I have been thinking VBAC, and had my OB appointment Friday.  The OB stated that my placenta is currently 2 cm from the cervix.  He said under 2 cm, is an automatic Csection, 2-4 cm is a grey zone and he would recommend a Csection but stated that he is more conservative than some OB's in this regard, and over 4 cm and it is totally my choice if I want a repeat c/s or VBAC.  So I am currently in the grey zone.  I have another US this Friday and follow up appointment with the OB next Friday, he wants a decison re VBAC or repeat c/s.  I am so torn, I have a 2 year old and the idea of the lifting restrictions after a c/s and carrying for my busy son is daunting, however I am currently in the "grey zone,"  and that scares me too.  If the placenta has moved greater than 4 cms it is an easier decision but as it is I am lost about what to do.  Is anyone/has anyone been in a similar situation?  Any thoughts or advise is more than welcome TIA. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Marginal Placenta Previa and VBAC

• Options
    I had marginal with DD, My Dr. spoke to a few other Drs. about it and said we could go for a a vaginal birth.  I did cancel the scheduled C section, but ulimtately ended up with one anyway.  Nothing to do with the previa just she needed out
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Does he want you to make a decision next week? 29-30 weeks is early for marginal placenta, I know my MW told me we could keep having u/s through the end of my pregnancy to check on how far up it was moving. I would ask to have it check in 4+ weeks to see what it looks like then. 

Are you currently at 2 cm? If so, that's really good, because your placenta will only get further from your cervix as your uterus gets bigger - at least, that's what I was told when I had it. 

I had marginal placenta with my first - I'm pretty sure I had hit the 2 cm minimum by about 32 weeks or so? I know I was cleared for vaginal birth by then, at least. hth

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I confused why you have to make this choice now. I know someone personally whose previa didn't clear up until 32-34 weeks. She had a vaginal birth.

at 29 weeks... you still have plenty of time to go.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies.  My follow up is on October 5th so just under 2 weeks and the OB has stated that we should make the call then.  I have a feeling it is more a scheduling issue that he wants the decision then as it will be 30.5 weeks.  With my son it was still a complete previa at 30 weeks and that is also when they made the call to have a section although I did have another US at 36 weeks which still showed a full previa.  I don't know if he is planning further US after the one at 30 weeks this time around.  
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

imagebgf1:
    Thanks for the replies.  My follow up is on October 5th so just under 2 weeks and the OB has stated that we should make the call then.  I have a feeling it is more a scheduling issue that he wants the decision then as it will be 30.5 weeks.  With my son it was still a complete previa at 30 weeks and that is also when they made the call to have a section although I did have another US at 36 weeks which still showed a full previa.  I don't know if he is planning further US after the one at 30 weeks this time around.  

They can schedule for a c/s in shorter notice than 10 weeks. If he won't do anymore u/s, especially for something like marginal previa, and insists on a c/s, I would think about looking for another doctor, in all honesty. You're still really early for your placenta to move, especially if it's already on the edge of being far enough away. 

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Options
    Since you're only 29 weeks  now I would plan on the VBAC and see where the placenta is when it gets closer. Good luck!
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I am in your situation too! At my last ultrasound it was at 2 CM and my doctor needs it to be at least 3 to OK a VBAC. I have a final ultrasound at 34 weeks to determine VBAC or C-Section. She assured me that at the last ultrasound that there is plenty of time to get to 3 cm and not to worry. Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"