C-sections
Options

2u2 and c/s?

I am a SAHM due in April, a couple months before DD's 2nd birthday. It is very likely that I will choose to have a c/s (due to nerve damage from previous delivery), but the choice is mine. I don't hate the idea of a c/s, but I am a little worried about recovery.

We just moved into a two-story house with the bedrooms upstairs. Can/could you take the stairs (several times a day) post-c/s? Or will I be stuck downstairs for a while?

At what point in recovery should I expect to be able to care for a newborn and a toddler? I know this varies, but I'm not sure what to expect. I do have family nearby available to help if needed.

Obviously I have some time to decide, but this is on my mind... TIA. 

Re: 2u2 and c/s?

• Options
    my kids are 22 months apart.  I had c-sections with both.  There were no issues caring for both kids.  We have 3 levels of living and I had no problems going up/down stairs (albeit slowly).  DH stayed home a week, my mom came for a week and then I was on my own (and my oldest was still in a crib so I was lifting her in/out).  
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options

No advice on the 2u2 but I live in a two story and I could use the stairs but was cautious and slow moving at first.  I did make sure that I had the essentials I needed for the majority of the day on the main floor so I didn't need to make any trips that were not needed. I never encountered any issues with the stairs though so I am sure you will be fine.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I'd recommend staying on the same level for awhile. I think it was a week or a little after, my niece was over and wanted to see a cat that was downstairs, I went down with her fine. When I went to come back up, it was hard lifting my leg w/o it hurting the c/s.

I do want to point out, you're not going to want to lay flat for a week or two. I didn't realize this. The 1st night home, it took me a good half hour to get out of bed. At the hospital I could recline myself out. Next time I'd sleep in the recliner. 

BFP #1 on cycle 19, 6/13/09, blighted ovum discovered on 8/3/09
    BFP #2 3/1/10 yay for seeing the baby and seeing hb at 6w! Found at on 4/26/10 that the baby had stopped growing at 7w
    BFP #3 11/19/11
    Baby Boy Bruce born 7/21/12
    Check out my blog!
  • Options

My boys are 14 months apart and I had c-sections with both of them. I elected the csection with my 2nd pregnancy. The recovery after an elect c-section is waaaaay easier then recovery from an emergency c-section after being in labor for awhile. On day 2 in the hospital I took a shower and was walking a bit, which is great compared to my first c-section I was forced up by nurses on day 3. I felt great on day 3 with my 2nd csection. I had help at home for 1 week with my toddler.

By week 2 I was taking care of baby and toddler by myself during day. I couldnt lift my toddler outa his crib so Dh had to get him up before he left for work. I also had stairs and would only go up and down them twice a day.

I just had my 3rd csection and am feeling great first day home. Just ask for help when needed and take your pain pills.

• Options

When I got home from the hospital, we did spend time downstairs. I would go down there once or twice a day though--not up and down the stairs several times a day. I would definitely try to limit your trips especially when you'll have a not yet 2 year old and an infant.

I had DH home for 3 weeks after my second section and it was great. I probably didnt need him for that final week, but the extra help and the bonding time he got with the kids was wonderful. I would definitely plan on 2 weeks though if at all possible. If it's not doable, one week with DH home plus a family member stopping by for a little bit to help out everyday would be sufficient.

• Options
    Thanks, ladies!
  • Options

I do not have experience with stairs as we live in a ranch home with all bedrooms on the same level. But I did have 2 under 2. DD was 21 months old when DS was born. I came home on a Friday and DH was back to work on Monday.

We moved DD into a toddler bed a few weeks before DS was born so I would not have to lift her in and our of a crib. Other then that we changed nothing. I was able to stay at home with both kids no problem. 

• Options
    I have a 19 month old and a newborn and had a c-section with this delivery.  My recovery has been pretty easy; I was expecting to be in bed and unable to do stairs for several weeks but it hasn't been anything like that.  We have a split level so 2 half flights between bedrooms and kitchen.  I could do stairs slowly and backing down the stairs for my first 2-3 days at home but after that was back to normal.  I also didn't lift my toddler for 2-3 days, then started slowly but was doing everything I used to a day or so later.  In my opinion, if you've been a "good healer" in the past (like with first delivery, even if it was vaginal) you will most likely do well after a c section too.  
  • Options

All three of my babies have been born via scheduled c/s.  My first two were 17 months apart, and it was great.  I was able to take care of #1 easily from the time I got home from the hospital, and was on my own 5-6 days a week with my 2u2 at 2 weeks out - no big deal at all.

The two story house thing wasn't a big deal for me, either.  I was able to do stairs from the time I came home.  I did keep a stash of both kids' diapers downstairs to minimize the up and down, but I do that even when I'm not recovering from surgery.

The big benefit, imo, is not having to worry about arranging care at the last minute for your older child - it was really nice to know when #2 was coming so we could have my parents in town and at our house to care for #1. 

the bug & bee blog
    (read it. you know you want to.)
    anderson . september 2008
    vivian . february 2010
    mabel . august 2012
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I can't speak to 2u2, but as for stairs..totally doable. I live in a townhome style house and have three flights of stairs. The pain was much worse getting out of bed than walking the stairs.
    b/w=FSH 15.6, AMH 0.4 surprise natural BFP on 3/12/11
    DS born via unplanned C-section at 40w6d

• Options

imageTooShy2:
    I have a 19 month old and a newborn and had a c-section with this delivery.  My recovery has been pretty easy; I was expecting to be in bed and unable to do stairs for several weeks but it hasn't been anything like that.  We have a split level so 2 half flights between bedrooms and kitchen.  I could do stairs slowly and backing down the stairs for my first 2-3 days at home but after that was back to normal.  I also didn't lift my toddler for 2-3 days, then started slowly but was doing everything I used to a day or so later.  In my opinion, if you've been a "good healer" in the past (like with first delivery, even if it was vaginal) you will most likely do well after a c section too.  

See, I don't really know if I am a "good healer" or not. I've never had surgery before. And with my first delivery, I was unable to walk for 3 months. I was so distraught about the paralysis, that I don't remember much about other aspects of recovery... 

• Options

I just had a c/s a week ago, have twins and a 14 month old DD and we live in a tri level home. I was nervous about recovery,but it was all for nothing. 

By the time I was released (standard 72h stay) I was fine,and quite able to manage the stairs. At this point I'm only taking Motrin as needed, I think I took the stronger medication for two doses or so. I'm able to lift DD (I try to avoid it and have help around). I could care for all 3 alone confidently but the extra help around is appreciated so I can rest up and heal well.

I began wearing an abdominal binder as soon as they let me up in the hospital and that made a big difference in adding support. 

• Options
    My girls are 11 months apart and I had c-sections with both. My first was a breeze. I was at a wedding dancing 9 days later with minimal discomfort.. My second, however, took a while longer to heal. It was probably a good 2 weeks before I could move around for more than a few minutes and about 3 weeks before I could comfortably handle a toddler and a newborn. My c-sections were very close together so this may not be the case for you, but plan to have someone there to help you for a little while. Best of luck to you!
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"