Trouble TTC
Options

PCOS and short cycles???

Happy Monday everyone.

I was diagnosed with PCOS at age 17. At that point, I was having only about 4 periods per year for several years, so I started BCP. After 10+ years on BC, I finally stopped in February. Since then, my cycles have been very short and now I get my period almost too frequently. I have been using an iPhone app to track my cycles and my last cycle was only 19 days. Does anyone else with PCOS have very short cycles as well? I am very surprised because I expected to have the opposite problem. I'm also not sure if this means it will be easier, rather than harder, for me to get pregnant. Any insight? TIA!

BabyFruit Ticker image image

Re: PCOS and short cycles???

• Options

My first few cycles off BCP were short (not as short as yours) 21-26 days. Then they started getting longer and annovulatory. I have just been recently diagnosed with PCOS though. Have you had any other levels checked (thyroid, etc.)?

Are you temperature charting? If not, I would recommend it so you can figure out what is going on with your cycle. Fertility Friend is a good resource for that. If your cycle is that short, you are ovulating very early or have a short luteal phase. It is also possible that you are having annovulatory bleeding. Temperature charting for a cycle or two will help you figure out what is going on.

TTC#1 since 5/2011
    DX: Hypothyroidism, PCOS, Myasthenia Gravis, Aplastic Anemia, one copy MTHFR DH SA: count 52% motility (slow progressive), 0% normal morph
    June-July 2012: Clomid cycles=BFNs
    August 2012: New RE, started Metformin, Letrozole 7.5mg+TI=BFN Sept. 2012: IUI#1: Letrozole 7.5mg=BFN
    Oct. 2012: IUI#2 Letrozole 7.5mg+Dexamethasone=BFN
    Nov '12-March '13 on a break
    April 2013: IUI#3 Letrozole 7.5mg+Dexamethasone=BFN
    June 2013: IVF#1  Follistim/Menopur/Ganirelix =BFN, 3 Frosties
    August 2013: FET#1=BFP 8/20/13,  EDD 4/30/13, MMC 10/1/13
    December 2013: IVF#2 Follistim/Menopur/Ganirelix=?
     ~PAIF/SAIF Welcome~

imageimageimage

• Options

My cycles were very short ever since I got off BCP 4 years ago. I never paid attention to it until we started TTC last year. They were averaged about 23 or 24 days. IF I was ovulating, my luteal phase was 7 to 9 days, which is too short. Whether or not I ovulated, my cycles were on the short side.

I'd start temping and charting - it really sheds a lot of light onto what is happening with your body and gives you some good data and history for when you talk with your doctor. I was against it for a while b/c I just wanted to see if we could do it without all that, but I caved after I started the Met and PCOS diagnosis. I really wanted to be able to determine if I was ovulating or not with the meds. 

Good luck! 

Married since 2008 | TTC #1 since 2011

2 losses: Nov '11 and Aug '12
    Dx: Feb '13 - HSG shows clear tubes but minor diverticulitis; Borderline DOR; Low DHEA and low testosterone.
    Moving on to IUI or IVF.

3.4.13:  Holy crap! Surprise natural BFP on cycle #19. EDD 11.12.13
    We've got a peen.....it's a boy! 
    Little man born 11.17.2013 via c-section

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagebeth9409:

My first few cycles off BCP were short (not as short as yours) 21-26 days. Then they started getting longer and annovulatory. I have just been recently diagnosed with PCOS though. Have you had any other levels checked (thyroid, etc.)?

Are you temperature charting? If not, I would recommend it so you can figure out what is going on with your cycle. Fertility Friend is a good resource for that. If your cycle is that short, you are ovulating very early or have a short luteal phase. It is also possible that you are having annovulatory bleeding. Temperature charting for a cycle or two will help you figure out what is going on.

Yes I have had all necessary blood work done and everything else is normal. I have tried the temperature charting thing but gave up rather early. I guess I don't know how I'm supposed to do it at the same time each morning. I wake up at different times due to an irregular work schedule. I also am a zombie in the morning and usually forget to do it. But I will consider trying it again. Thanks.

BabyFruit Ticker image image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"