Natural Birth
Options

Has anyone done Placental Encapsulation?

What was your experience?

We are looking into it.  Is there anything specific we should ask or look for in hiring someone to do this?

I haven't talked to my OB's about it yet.  Was your doctor/midwife supportive? 

Were there any obstacles in getting this done in a hospital setting?

TIA!!!

Natural M/c 12/13/08 at 8w5d 

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Has anyone done Placental Encapsulation?

• Options

We didn't do encapsulation, we did an "essence" which you can read about here but it's similar. I think it helped balance things out after the birth. I definitely noticed an emotional imbalance when I didn't take it. Even if it was all in my head I still believe I benefited from it. The mind is a powerful thing.

My midwife was totally supportive, as was the hospital. I do live in the Seattle area so most hospitals here are pro-natural birth and the things that go with it so me asking for my placenta was definitely nothing they hadn't seen before. They did have a rule about taking the placenta from the hospital within an hour after birth. They wouldn't let us take it to postpartum with us. My sister took it home and prepared the essence for us which worked out because I got to start taking it before I even left the hospital.

Just ask for the placenta. You don't have to tell them why you're taking it. You shouldn't encounter any problems. 

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I did it. Totally worth it. I had a hme birth and my midwife took my placenta to be encapsulated. I got it back 24 hours later. It's helped with my mood and my milk supply. I definitely recommend it. As far as getting it I the hospital... I have no idea how that works out, you'll have to talk to your doctor about getting it.
    Mommy to Emery Vera 5.20.12  Blog
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I did it and I found it to be helpful with my moods.  I would notice more "baby blues" on days I did not take the pills.  I also think it helped my milk supply since I have never had issues with low supply.  I had my LO in the hospital with an OB.  I talked to my OB about encapsulation and she just thought it was weird but was not against it.  My doula did the encapsulation and took the placenta home from the hospital.  I did not have any issues taking my placenta and I got the pills in 24 hrs. My doula had a placenta waiver  that I filled out just in case the hospital gave me hard time about taking the placenta.
  • Options
    I'm still thinking about doing this so I won't be much help but I did speak with a couple who did it and highly recommended it. They gave birth in a big hospital and said they just had to sign a waver to bring the placenta home with them. The hospital basically considers the placenta an organ (which it is, of course) but because of that, it just takes a little effort to get it into your possession.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imagevintagejjane:
    I did it. Totally worth it. I had a hme birth and my midwife took my placenta to be encapsulated. I got it back 24 hours later. It's helped with my mood and my milk supply. I definitely recommend it. As far as getting it I the hospital... I have no idea how that works out, you'll have to talk to your doctor about getting it.

All of this.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"