Health & Exercise
Options

am I exercising too much?

I used to run 5 miles a day M-F and then 6.5-8 miles Sat- Sun.  It's early in my pregnancy (6 weeks), but my energy is ridiculously low, so I've reduced that to a 5k each weekday and 5 miles each weekend day.  After my run today, I had to take a 2 hour nap and I'm STILL wiped. Am I exercising too much?

Also, while I'm not puking (much), I cannot finish any meal -- I'm just not hungry. So maybe that's not helping things. 

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: am I exercising too much?

• Options
    Nope- you're just going to be more tired in the first tri; once you get to the 2nd tri you'll likely be able to run just as much and not feel so tired.
    imageimage
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I think this is normal. I ran a half marathon today at 13 weeks 2 days and was tired this afternoon (took an hour nap), but I've already seen a change from other long-run training runs, after 9, 10, 11 miles (at the same weeks) I would/could literally nap for 3-4 hours. So I'm already feeling a little of the 2nd trimester rebound. Also, please make sure you're staying well-hydrated and getting calories in some way. I could manage a gu at 100 calories a pop and they made my runs more effective beside just getting me some mid-run nutrients. Good luck!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    i'm surprised you can run that much while you are pregnant.  during the whole pregnancy I always had to take a nap between first and second dinner.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I focus more on the fatigue aspect during my workout. My MD said to continue at my current level but don't exercise to the point of complete exhaustion. I took that to mean DURING the workout. I am having the opposite issue with exhaustion--insomnia and restless sleep. I also work out first thing in the morning when I get up so I think that helps keep my energy up during the day! On days I exercise, I try to pay more attention to my calorie intake and have an extra snack or add bread/starch in with my dinner. Keep up the good work with the runs!
    BFP 9/1/12, EDD 5/11/13; heartbeat 9/24/12, heartbeat gone 10/2/12; D&E 10/5/12 Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options
    Probably not, but each person is different, too. I was exhausted and nauseous from weeks 6-9, but kept running anyways. If I felt too bad, I would just opt for a shorter run that day. Just make sure you get enough sleep and hang in there! At week 11 I started feeling like my old self again - more energy and no nausea!
    Children are a heritage from the LORD, offspring a reward from Him. Psalm 127:3 And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." Romans 8:28 BabyFruit Ticker Visit The Nest! imageimage
  • Options
    As PPs have said, base it on your fatigue.  I, too, had a spell of exhaustion early on, but it lifted.  I'm 33 weeks pregnant now and still running 5-6 miles every day.
  • Options
    I had a horrible time getting up the motivation to run during the first trimester and only ran once/week versus my normal of 4 to 5 times.  After ~15 weeks my energy returned and I ran up through the last week.  My advice would be to not push yourself too hard, but keep exercising when you feel up to it. Once the baby is born you will be really happy that you kept exercising and have less baby weight to shed.
  • Options

the first Tri you are going to be dead tired all the time.  I would grab my ipod,  put on my sports bra and tennis shoes...and DH would find me on the couch sound asleep when he got home. 

your energy will go right back up in the 2nd tri.  As for working out, you can keep doing what you were doing before as long as it is comfortable.  There are certain exercises that you need to modify or eliminate as you get later into your pregnancy, but for runners your body will tell you when it is time to trade your run for a walk.

I worked out (im not a runner, im a crossfitter) up until my due date then didnt work out at all for the week i was overdue due to blood pressure issues.  But the docs said my working out all 40 weeks helped speed my recovery afterward, so keep on runnin!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"