New to The Bump
Options

new and what does all these terms mean?

I just joined today and I've never been one to post in the "hey I'm new here" section of forms. But hey, I'm gonna be a mommy and why not post here.

Okay firsties, I've looked around at some sections and... now I'm confused, what is a "DD", "IO", "SO" and all that?

And now about me, first pregnancy and it was unplanned. I'm in my mid 20's and not married, the baby's daddy is around but I'm having second thoughts about him sticking around. So I'm looking into being a single mommy. ....and I'm pretty sure many people mention it, that stero-typical goverment helped single woman. I'm going to get it over with and say it, I live on my own and get assistance (the BF lives with his parents still). There's probably some section with other people that have disabilities and get SSI and/or section 8 and assistance from WIC. The BF doesn't get any such kinds of assistance and mine has restrictions/rules and some may say I'm some loser. But I'm not willing to give up housing assistance for the baby's father to live with me (and he doesn't have a job). I would rather keep the house assistance and keep a roof over baby and me; then to give it up and have my whole SSI check going to rent and not into baby needs. [I've vented this in a diffident section, so I won't get into boyfriend drama.]

I'm sorry. I'm off my meds (doc ordered it) because of the pregnancy, so I have all those preg hormones and feels; on top of my mental illnesses not getting treatment. So I tend to babble. But yeah. I'll stop this post here.

Pregnancy Ticker image

Re: new and what does all these terms mean?

• Options
    Hey! I'm new as well and I've had to google lots of the terms. Still don't know what they all mean, but DH-Dear husband, DS-Dear Son, DD-Dear daughter, LO-little one. Not sure why they don't just say "my husband..." "my son..." etc., but I guess I'll get used to it! :) Congrats and good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    the glossary helped me, A LOT, in the beginning.
    Me: 29 | SO: 28
    Started Dating SO: 9/26/2009
    DS Born: 6/02/2012
    Tied the Knot: 11/14/2015
    Trying for Number Two since 9/1/15
    BFP!!! Baby 2 Due: 12/6/21
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Thank you! I thought I was the only one lost in terms too!

As for the babble...I do it too. On my 3rd baby and off my depression and anxiety meds. I am married now, but when my son (now 9) and daughter (now 11) were young (daughter was 2 and son was 4 mos) I divorced my scum of an ex and became a single mom...by choice. He was (and still is) a loser. But God blessed me with children to care for. I took what assistance I had to as a single mom until I got myself to a more self sufficient place. There is NOTHING wrong with that and I will fight tooth and nail against anyone who says otherwise. That is what the help is there for. And you are no less of a woman for taking what you need, but in my eyes a stronger one for admitting you need it! Don't let the BF with no job (and at this point no real future) drag you down. Be the strong woman you are already showing yourself to be and do what you have to for you and baby to survive and be healthy. And don't be ashamed of it! (I was a single mom for 6 1/2 years by the way...it was a struggle but I have NO regrets)

And know there are good men out there if this one doesn't get his act together. My husband is a soldier and took my two in like they are his. His gives us a great life. We are not rich by any means, but we never do without. And I couldn't ask for a better father for my two kiddos. We are now expecting one of our own. And if I had t be back in the single mom shoes again, you bet your A** I would take what assistance I had to until I could provide for myself sufficiently again. I did it before I can do it again. You will be fine. And don't listen to the privileged women out there who never had to struggle to survive. They take their blessings for granted. Being a single mom will show you just what you are really made of and how strong you can really be. And it will make you a better person. Just promise yourself that when you can make it on your own, you will let the assistance go to another young woman in your same shoes. You can and will do just fine.

36 yr old mom of two expecting #3

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"