Attachment Parenting

How to Reconcile AP and Tummy Time

I'm struggling with reconciling tummy time with AP principles.  I know she really needs the tummy time, but she hates it and just cries and cries.  I want to pick her up immediately, even though this means not getting her time in. How do you guys handle this?

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: How to Reconcile AP and Tummy Time

• The point of tummy time is for the child to work on her neck and other muscles. If you are holding her upright, she is working them. And you can lay her tummy to tummy with you on your back - and she'll get some time that way typically babies prefer that.

Honestly, my LO hated tummy time. So we never did it. He never had any issues with his head, in fact he never even got the bald spot so many newborns get from laying on their backs. He was almost always held though - either in arms, or upright in a carrier. He was holding his head up early, and could sit independently at 5m.

IMO letting a newborn lay there and cry on their belly isn't conducive to anything.

imageimage
  • My little guy hated it too so we did it for very short periods, maybe five minutes here and there. If they are upset and crying they aren't getting much exercise anyway. I agree, I would never let my baby just cry, but I also think tummy time is pretty important. I had a friend who NEVER even attempted to get her baby to do tummy time and her daughter has always lagged behind on physical milestones. She is 7months and just started sitting on her own and she is very wobbly still and can't really do much else on her own.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • If you want to do it, idauggest putting her on a bed and then getting down so you're at eye level;making it a mommy+LO experience might make it more tolerable for her. But as PP suggested, it isn't strictly necessary, especially if she's being carried/worn a lot. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Do it on your chest.

Have baby in a carrier a lot. We didn't put much effort into tummy time, but I wore him for hours every day. It gets them off the head (prevents a flat head) and works the core and neck muscles... and baby likes it rather than freaking out.

• We did tummy time on my tummy.  I would lay her so I was flat on the couch and we were belly to belly so she had to try to pick her head up to see me.  We would do it for a few minutes at a time.  Tummy time doesn't have to mean on the floor.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imagetokenhoser:

Do it on your chest.

Have baby in a carrier a lot. We didn't put much effort into tummy time, but I wore him for hours every day. It gets them off the head (prevents a flat head) and works the core and neck muscles... and baby likes it rather than freaking out.

This is what we did, or did it in front of a mirror which kept him more occupied.  I also never did long periods of tummy time, just a little bit during every awake period.

Although my kid never really minded tummy time. 

June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I put both of my kids on my chest sometimes, too, but I was never big on having prescribed amounts of "tummy time" per day.  I think the point is just to not have them flat on their backs or in a bouncy seat, etc.  all of their waking hours.  That was never an issue for us and both of them progressed just fine.

• Along with the other things mentioned, I used the boppy to prop LO up and sometimes a bumble ball for entertainment. She loved that.
  • We did all things mentioned above and still only did it for a few minutes at a time because she hated it. She was a little "slow" to sit but is also a late preterm baby and pedi wasn't concerned.
  • I never did tummy time with either kid (and they were both "ahead" on physical milestones) - it is really an invention intended to combat lots of time spent in "baby buckets" and the fact that we put babies to sleep on backs now - so if you baby wear a lot or hold baby (we did do the lay baby on our chest thing) baby gets plenty of time to work on those muscles! 
  • My DD hated tummy time but she got a lot of tummy time when she laid on my chest, in the moby, or just holding her upright as often as I could.  It wasn't until she was close to 6 months that she could tolerate being on her tummy for more than 5 minutes.  What helped was me getting down on the ground with her and playing with her.  And keep in mind that just a few minutes a day is all you should be doing at this time.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Ditto PPs, we have baby lay tummy-to-tummy with us or have him lay across our knees while we give gentle back pats (this is a way of burping) and we do lots of babywearing. From a human survival through history perspective, putting a helpless baby on his tummy on the ground make no sense. It is really only a modern need because of the amount of time that babies spend in passive places like carseats, cribs, swings, etc.
  • imageBooger+Bear:

The point of tummy time is for the child to work on her neck and other muscles. If you are holding her upright, she is working them. And you can lay her tummy to tummy with you on your back - and she'll get some time that way typically babies prefer that.

Honestly, my LO hated tummy time. So we never did it. He never had any issues with his head, in fact he never even got the bald spot so many newborns get from laying on their backs. He was almost always held though - either in arms, or upright in a carrier. He was holding his head up early, and could sit independently at 5m.

IMO letting a newborn lay there and cry on their belly isn't conducive to anything.

All of this is true for me as well except my LO sat indepensently at around 7 months.  She is a happy, healthy, busy toddler.

• Oh, lord. Where are the AP trolls when you need them? Don't worry so much, I promise that your baby doesn't think you've abandoned her or anything. Sometimes being a parent means you have a sad kid, no matter how closely you align your beliefs to AP principles. Not that letting your kid scream at tummy time is good, but gently getting her to do it is a good idea.

Have you tried putting a rolled up or folded up blanket, or even a pillow under her tummy/chest? Doing that really helped my younger son start to enjoy tummy time. My older son hated it no matter what we did, so we didn't do it, and he ended up with torticollis (and lots of physical therapy).

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• imagenosoup4u:

Have you tried putting a rolled up or folded up blanket, or even a pillow under her tummy/chest? Doing that really helped my younger son start to enjoy tummy time. My older son hated it no matter what we did, so we didn't do it, and he ended up with torticollis (and lots of physical therapy).

Yes, we do that and she will tolerate it sometimes.  She actually already started out with a slight torticollis and has had pt.  So the tummy time is very important for her.  I just wish she could understand why I'm making her do it.  It breaks my heart when she just cries and cries and I just want to pick her up and be done with it.

• Thanks, you guys, for all the great suggestions.  I will try to incorporate some of this.  We do the chest thing a lot, but I'm afraid I don't provide her with a very flat surface, especially if she's going to learn to roll over.  She absolutely loves her stroller, but I will try wearing her even more.  I don't want to set her behind in physical development, so I really want to make sure she gets her time in.  I just don't want it to be traumatic!

• My little guy hates it too. He has reflux and TT usually ends up with him just puking everywhere. I just wear him or carry him. He's 9 weeks and has amazing upper body strength already. Actually, when forced to do TT he practically does a push up lol. His Dr was very impressed with his strength at his 2 month appt.

Just make sure your kid doesn't spend all day on his back and he will be fine. Don't worry
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    What just happened in my diaper?!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • try putting a boppy under her chest and a mirror in front of her. my son hated tummy time but loves it this way.
    Me: 29 | SO: 28
    Started Dating SO: 9/26/2009
    DS Born: 6/02/2012
    Tied the Knot: 11/14/2015
    Trying for Number Two since 9/1/15
    BFP!!! Baby 2 Due: 12/6/21
  • imagetheboki:
    imagenosoup4u:

Yes, we do that and she will tolerate it sometimes.  She actually already started out with a slight torticollis and has had pt.  So the tummy time is very important for her.  I just wish she could understand why I'm making her do it.  It breaks my heart when she just cries and cries and I just want to pick her up and be done with it.

Can you ask her PT for ideas? There's also tummy time mats (like this: https://www.amazon.com/Tiny-Love-Tummy-Time-Activity/dp/B0015CA3A4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348412901&sr=8-1&keywords=tummy+time+mat ), and I've also seen one that's some sort of liquid in a flat mat that they can squish. She's almost 6 months, right? Once they sit up life gets easier, at least in my experience...

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• imagenosoup4u:
    imagetheboki:
    imagenosoup4u:

Can you ask her PT for ideas? There's also tummy time mats (like this: https://www.amazon.com/Tiny-Love-Tummy-Time-Activity/dp/B0015CA3A4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348412901&sr=8-1&keywords=tummy+time+mat ), and I've also seen one that's some sort of liquid in a flat mat that they can squish. She's almost 6 months, right? Once they sit up life gets easier, at least in my experience...

She does have an activity mat with a little boppy but she still cries on it.  I am thinking about trying this one, though:

https://www.amazon.com/Infantino-Right-Angle-Tummy-Triangle/dp/B004Y42682/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=GRA7XADMM9VZ&coliid=I1JZ8FRQ57HVIE

I don't know anyone who has it or has tried it, though.  Hmm.  Never heard of that water one.  I will look around.

She's four months+ old, but as a preemie her adjusted age right now is about 3.5 months.  I am having her sit up a lot with a little assistance, and she is doing great at balancing her head by herself.  And she seems to enjoy sitting up.  So that's a plus!  But put her on her tummy and the screaming ensues. 

• imagenosoup4u:
    imagetheboki:
    imagenosoup4u:

She does have an activity mat with a little boppy but she still cries on it.  I am thinking about trying this one, though:

https://www.amazon.com/Infantino-Right-Angle-Tummy-Triangle/dp/B004Y42682/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=GRA7XADMM9VZ&coliid=I1JZ8FRQ57HVIE

I don't know anyone who has it or has tried it, though.  Hmm.  Never heard of that water one.  I will look around.

She's four months+ old, but as a preemie her adjusted age right now is about 3.5 months.  I am having her sit up a lot with a little assistance, and she is doing great at balancing her head by herself.  And she seems to enjoy sitting up.  So that's a plus!  But put her on her tummy and the screaming ensues. 

• imagetheboki:
    imagenosoup4u:

I think there is a difference between abandoning your child to let them cry and a child crying while their parent is providing comfort. Sometimes even when you do everything right a child will cry. As long as you're comforting her, rubbing her back and singing a soothing song to your child, she's not going to feel abandonded/unattached even if she is upset with having to do something.

• imageblu-eyedwife:
    imagetokenhoser:

Do it on your chest.

This is what we did, or did it in front of a mirror which kept him more occupied.  I also never did long periods of tummy time, just a little bit during every awake period.

Although my kid never really minded tummy time. 

All of this!

• imageKC_13:
    imagetheboki:
    imagenosoup4u:

I think there is a difference between abandoning your child to let them cry and a child crying while their parent is providing comfort. Sometimes even when you do everything right a child will cry. As long as you're comforting her, rubbing her back and singing a soothing song to your child, she's not going to feel abandonded/unattached even if she is upset with having to do something.

thanks for this. I will try to make sure I'm touching and talking to her the whole time and maybe it won't be so bad.

• Lurker- but I am a PT and all the suggestions are great using mirrors, boppy, rolled up towel.  Also carrying her upright will help develop those muscles, along with laying her on your stomach.  As she gets alittle older she may engage in looking at a toy for distraction.  Talking to her, singing and letting her see you might help as well.  The one other suggestion I didn't see listed is to lay her on her tummy across your forearm if that makes sense.  You can try carrying her that way for short periods of time.  Good luck- I know it can be hard!  Something else to think about- the whole tummy time idea also came into context as we have more bouncy seats, swings, carriers that infants are often left in for periods of time.  Limiting time in those should help as well.
  • imageAnna&Josh520:
    Lurker- but I am a PT and all the suggestions are great using mirrors, boppy, rolled up towel.  Also carrying her upright will help develop those muscles, along with laying her on your stomach.  As she gets alittle older she may engage in looking at a toy for distraction.  Talking to her, singing and letting her see you might help as well.  The one other suggestion I didn't see listed is to lay her on her tummy across your forearm if that makes sense.  You can try carrying her that way for short periods of time.  Good luck- I know it can be hard!  Something else to think about- the whole tummy time idea also came into context as we have more bouncy seats, swings, carriers that infants are often left in for periods of time.  Limiting time in those should help as well.

Thanks so much.  All great tips!

• imageAnna&Josh520:
    Lurker- but I am a PT and all the suggestions are great using mirrors, boppy, rolled up towel.  Also carrying her upright will help develop those muscles, along with laying her on your stomach.  As she gets alittle older she may engage in looking at a toy for distraction.  Talking to her, singing and letting her see you might help as well.  The one other suggestion I didn't see listed is to lay her on her tummy across your forearm if that makes sense.  You can try carrying her that way for short periods of time.  Good luck- I know it can be hard!  Something else to think about- the whole tummy time idea also came into context as we have more bouncy seats, swings, carriers that infants are often left in for periods of time.  Limiting time in those should help as well.

Thanks so much.  All great tips!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"