January 2013 Moms
Options

is Dreft really necessary?

Question for all you second time moms. Do I really need to use Dreft to wash LO's clothes? We already use All Free & Clear because my DH has sensitive skin. I remember hearing somewhere that Dreft doesn't remove the chemical that makes PJs flame retardant but I don't know how true that is. Obviously, I'll buy it if it's necessary but I've been thinking it's probably a lot like sensitive skin laundry detergents. TIA.

ETA: What about fabric softener?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: is Dreft really necessary?

• Options

Dreft is a huge waste of money, and any free and clear detergent is going to be much better for your baby's sensitive skin.

Edit: I don't use fabric softner. Just a little vinegar and baking soda, and I use dryer balls in the dryer for fluffing. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Not in my opinion. I recently heard that Dreft actually has more chemicals than All Free and Clear. We use Tide Free and Clear for DS's sensitive skin and it has always worked great.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We were suckered in at first too....but it only last the bottle or two we had.  It wasn't anything special.  I eventually just started trying DS's clothes in with ours and he was fine.  Now we make our own soap and it is very mild and everyone is okie dokie here!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagebearkatjen:

Dreft is a huge waste of money, and any free and clear detergent is going to be much better for your baby's sensitive skin.

Edit: I don't use fabric softner. Just a little vinegar and baking soda, and I use dryer balls in the dryer for fluffing. 

Ditto this exactly.  Although I don't use anything as a softener on the regular, but when I do I use vinegar.  

imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    I've also read if you're going to attempt cloth diapering, you really don't want to use Dreft - one of the least recommended mainstream detergents out there.  To me, that means I probably don't want to use it for anything on LO - so like another PP, I've made up a batch of powdered detergent that works great so far, and for pennies, too.
  • Options

imageclariknittist:
    I've also read if you're going to attempt cloth diapering, you really don't want to use Dreft - one of the least recommended mainstream detergents out there.  To me, that means I probably don't want to use it for anything on LO - so like another PP, I've made up a batch of powdered detergent that works great so far, and for pennies, too.

If you are going to CD, I wouldn't even recommend a mainstream free and clear detergent. Pinstripes and Polkadots has a good run down of detergents forCDing. My personal recommendation is Allen's Naturally. Get the gallon size with the pump dispenser for correct measurements. A huge issue with CDing is how much detergent to put in. It's not rocket science, but it's not far off.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    imageLindsRockies:

Nah.

I agree with PPs, any dye/perfume free detergent is fine.  Even then, I only used it for about the first month or so. 

i agree. Though I did use Dreft only because I was a FTM and thought that's what I needed to do. :P the good thing is that by the time I got through the first bottle of it, we no longer needed to use "special" detergent. It lasted a while. At least 5-6 months.  I did use a perfume free fabric softener as well. We had one small box of the sheets and that's all we used. After that we went to regular fabric softener sheets.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP #1:10/31/10 DS born 6/22/11BFP #3:4/24/12 DD born 12/31/12
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagebearkatjen:

imageclariknittist:

If you are going to CD, I wouldn't even recommend a mainstream free and clear detergent. Pinstripes and Polkadots has a good run down of detergents forCDing. My personal recommendation is Allen's Naturally. Get the gallon size with the pump dispenser for correct measurements. A huge issue with CDing is how much detergent to put in. It's not rocket science, but it's not far off.

Cool, I will check it out!  I know I err on the skimpy side when I wash with this powder, so I really don't know how it will work out when these clothes/diapers are actually soiled...on our regular stuff, I love the 7th generation free & clear in the compost bottle - is my granola showing?? :)

• Options

No, I never had any issues with DS , I think it's a waste of money!!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    another vote for regular free and clear stuff!

11/18/16 missed m/c 9w1
    05/2017 cp
    08/03/17 no hb 8w

• Options
    imagebearkatjen:

Exactly this. We use detergent from www.crunchyclean.com ..... and we will use it for babys clothes as well. We will be buying cloth diaper detergent from the same place.

Mom to Carter, Kendall, Kiersten and Baby O #4

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Waste of money!  Make your own if needed for sensitive skin, there's all kinds of recipes online and most contain, baking soda, washing soda, borax, etc.  Very cheap too!  
  • Options
    I never used it. We use free and clear anyway so we'll just keep using that. I've also never used fabric softener in my life so I won't be starting now!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I use tide free and clear,
  • Options
    I hated how it smelled. I used ALL baby and never had any problem and honesty only even used that becaused it smelled good!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest

Dx MTHFR (C677T & A1298C, Compound Heterozygous)

• Options

I'm not a second time mom but I was a nanny for a long time. While the Dreft the family used smelled lovely...I don't think it's necessary at all. 

I make my own laundry detergent as well. It lasts forever and is much milder than typical detergents. I'll likely just keep using that unless it appears to be a problem for LO.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"