Trying to make decisions on FET — The Bump
Infertility Veterans

Trying to make decisions on FET

I talked with my RE yesterday about why she won't agree to RI's plan to add Letrozole to my FET. She said that she's concerned it will mess with my hormones and raise my estrogen level too much - she's concerned about endometriosis and adenomyosis growth. She said my ute looks really good right now and she doesn't want to add anything else to the mix that might alter that. She said one time a patient took herbs with estrogenic properties and it made her lining 'gooky' and it took them months to get it back to normal. I know that's just one example and isn't even the same thing, but I think in her mind she just doesn't want to take chances.

RI wants to use it because supposedly it was shown to help implantation in women with endo. So basically the exact opposite opinion. I'm not really sure who to believe. But I basically have three options: 1, cycle with RE without the Letrozole. 2, bring my frosties to RI and do the FET there. 3, cycle with RE but don't tell her I'm taking Letrozole.

I think I'm leaning towards 1. I don't really feel comfortable leaving and trusting my frosties to the random clinic that RI works with. I think I'm a bit jaded by RI since the IVIG last cycle did not work. In a way I trust RE more even though she is conservative; although maybe I should be taking chances at this point... I also don't think it's a smart idea to take a hormone and not tell her, since that could alter my levels.

Will I regret not doing the Letrozole? Not sure, but given my uneasy feelings about RI right now and thus wanting to stay with RE, I don't think I have a choice.

RI is also planning to prescribe Neupogen, which will be ok with RE since it's not a hormone.



Dx: High FSH, stage IV endo, homozygous C677T MTHFR and PAI-1
Early loss 10/08
Lap 1/09
IVF #1 "natural IVF" - 1 egg retrieved, missed m/c
Tried several mini-stim cycles with no response
Switched clinics - dx'd as carrier for Fragile X
IVF #2 MDL protocol Jan/Feb converted to IUI, BFN
IVF #2 take 2: Antagonist, one embie, BFN
IVF #3: Antagonist, no fertilization
One last ditch effort at OE IVF (antagonist with Clomid) cancelled
DE cycle #1 Jan/Feb 2011, BFP, ectopic
DE cycle #2 June/July 2011 - BFP
10/28/11 Baby girl lost at 17 weeks due to pre-term labor. We love and miss you.
DE cycle #3 June/July 2012 - BFP, twins, both heartbeats stopped, D&C
2 frosties but don't know what's next
FET Dec 2012: BFP! Praying this one sticks for the long haul!

Re: Trying to make decisions on FET

  • I agree that it wouldn't be the best idea to take the Letrozole without your RE knowing.  It sounds like even though she isn't as open to different therapies, you are very comfortable there and trust her overall judgment. 

    Since your ute is looking so good now and RE is willing to introduce the Neupogen, it seems like that is a good next step.

    These decisions are never easy and having conflicting approaches from your Drs has got to be stressful.  I'm hoping you are able to decide on a plan that makes you feel confident.


    TTC since 2008 dx PCOS & MFI
    Clomid/Femara no "O"
    IVF #1 BFN
    FET #1 cancelled for biopsy
    FET #1.2 c/p, July 2012 c/p
    IUI #1 & 1.2 canceled
    IVF #2 ER 12/1, Freeze all due to OHSS
    FET #2.1 cancelled due to DVT risk, FET #2.2 Jan 2013
    my blog
  • I know it's difficult being caught between two differing views, but you need to go with what you are comfortable with. Regardless of what your RE thinks, you don't have to agree with every treatment option that you are presented with by you RI or any doctor for that matter, especially when you've asked for supporting information and are making an informed decision. Good luck moving forward. And HUGS!! 
  • If it were me, I'd go for your #1 option, but I know this is a really hard decision to make.

    I think no matter if you choose to take or not to take the letrozole, if it doesn't work you'll wish you had made the opposite choice.  Either way, I hope it works and you get to be glad to made whatever decision you made ((hugs))  Good luck!

    TTC #1 Since 4/2010, Cycle 30
    Positive for HLA-B27, I'm a mutant :p
    Testing - Me ok, gluten issue? DH - borderline count, low motility
    4/28/11 IUI#1 = BFP!(5/25), EDD 2/2/12 - m/c 5w3d
    7/3, 7/31, 9/25 - IUI#2-4=BFN
    IVF#1 - 1 blast = BFP!! (12/30), EDD 9/9/12, confirmed c/p 4w2d
    FET#1 3/2/12 - 2 blasts =BFP!! EDD 11/18/12, us#1 = twins! Confirmed m/c 5w6d
    4/20-surprise BFP and another c/p 4w2d
    FET#2 7/16/12 - 2 blasts = BFN
    FET#3 8/20/12 - 1 blast - BFP!! Beta #1-2=177, 354
    1st u/s 5w6d, one beautiful little HB :), 2nd u/s 146bpm
    baby girl born 5/10/13

    TTC#2 since 12/17/2014, Cycle 8
    Repeat Testing...FSH=12, AMH=3.8, AFC=28. 
    IUI#5 5/10/15- c/p?
    IVF#2 8/19/15 - cancelled due to cysts
    IVF#2 take two 10/2015 - 5 blasts frozen
    FET#4 12/11/2015 - BFN - 4 blasts remaining
    FET#5 2/18/16 - BFP!!!  Beta1-3, 126, 250, 745!!

    Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

    Tons of love and ((hugs)) to my IF sister NMscubagirl

  • I'd go with your gut.  If you're first instinct is to go with option one, that's what I would do.  I doubt that I would go with 3-just b/c I would hate to have something interact the wrong way with the letrozole.

    TTC since 5/2010
    DX with Diminished Ovarian Reserve - AMH of 1.1 - 7/2011; AMH of .42 8/2012
    BFP 9/1/10-M/C confirmed 9/8/10-Methotrexate 10/6/10
    IUI #1 (w/clomid)-9/5/11-BFN ; IUI #2 (w/clomid)-10/5/11 - BFP - 11/1/12-No sac seen; 11/2/11 and 11/9/11-Methotrexate 
    IVF #1- ER 2/2; ET 2/5;-Two 8 cell embryos transfered = BFFN
    Surprise BFP - 5/7/12
    U/S on 6/8/12 - H/B at 128 BPM; U/S on 6/14/12 @ 9wks-No H/B-D&C on 6/17/12
    IVF 2.0- ER 10/17; ET 10/20-One 12 cell, one 10 cell and one 8 cell embryo transfered
    BFP!   11/16/12 U/S- Two nuggets with perfect heartbeats! EDD 7/10/13


    5/31/2013- My miracles arrived at 34w2d!  Welcome to the world Harper and Nolan!Lilypie First Birthday tickers

    My Blog-

    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards