Natural Birth

Nervous as due date approaches?

My due date is tomorrow and while I expect to go over I'm starting to feel nervous about L D.

I've felt confident this whole time about going med free, but now I'm getting nervous that I won't make it, like I don't have enough to get through it. Some of the stories on my BMB go on and on about how awful contractions are and some people think I'm crazy.

DH is so supportive and on board, I've done tons of research and have lots of techniques to change things up. I've had lots of positive and encouraging talks with myself and feel mentally prepared, but wonder if these things will be enough. I don't know if there is a point to this, but did any of you get anxious as labor approached?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Nervous as due date approaches?

• Yes!  I always get nervous as my due date approaches!  In fact, I had myself super psyched up for this delivery and I found nerves settling in as the 3rd tri started!  I think it's absolutely normal, just try to remind yourself that you CAN do it, and whether you want to or not baby will come... :)  and most importantly try to relax because it will be so much better for your frame of mind when labor does start.  GL, mama!

Haha, my username should read "3Girlsand1BoyMama"...with #5 on the way!  (and then we're done.)

Me, 33, DH, 32  DDs 9, 7, 4 and DS 2.  EDD #5 4-29-15

BabyFruit Ticker

• Thank you! I think I just needed some encouragement and someone to tell me that the nerves are normal. I think I need to stop reading medicated birth stories.
  • Loading the player...
  • Everyone gets anxious. It's the unknown, and it's a big deal. I was anxious too, but I got through it naturally. Women have been doing it naturally for forever, and you can, too.

All that being said, you might decide you don't want to do it naturally. I dont say this to be discouraging, just factual. Birth plans change, and they can change in labour, too. If you find you really want the meds, and you are informed about that choice, and you make it with the proper support and aren't bullied into it, there is nothing wrong with that decision. There have been a few birth stories posted lately from wouldbe natural birthers who got the meds and are still happy with their experience. And that's wonderful, too.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Accept that there will be pain, very intense pain, in the labour and delivery of your baby.  It will happen.  And it's ok.  It really is ok.  Wrap your head around the notion that the pain is ok.

promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
  • imageallierhiana1:
    I'm not going to lie to you, contractions during transition are awful.nbsp; I was shaking uncontrollably.nbsp; However, you CAN do it.nbsp; Seriously.nbsp; I'm a huge baby, and I got through it.nbsp; Just close your eyes and concentrate on breathing.nbsp;

I think transition is my biggest worry, that I won't recognize the signs or remember that that is the shortest phase. I hope DH helps to remind me!
  • Yes, giving birth is painful BUT everyone experiences pain differently during this process. Just relax and ignore the scary stories b/c every birth is different. You never know what you body is going to do and what you will want until you are in the situation.  You have done everything you can do to prepare, now let your body do the rest. 

With DS3, I didn't start feeling any pain until I was ready to push and he was out in 30 mins.  DS2 was 2 hrs of pushing.  Yes they were both painful but nothing compared to holding them in my arms and I don't remember it now.  Also, like pp said if you decide to get an epi b/c you really need one, don't beat yourself up about it.  The most important thing is to have a happy and healthy baby.

*** William Abner 8/25/2008 24w3d *** Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I've never given birth before, but I just thought I'd step in and say that I'm definitely feeling the same way as you.  Up until very recently, I hadn't had any confidence issues, and it is only now that I find myself sometimes breathless with fear about how this is all going to work out.  It probably has a lot to do with just the fact that my due date is approaching and it's all becoming very real, but also my mother just recently died, and it has seriously affected my ability to focus and remain confident in myself (she was very supportive of my natural birth plan and had birthed me without drugs).  My doula keeps reminding me to refer back to my positive affirmations and continue doing breathing exercises...but I feel it is very difficult to jump back on the preparation wagon when I've been off this long (I haven't been doing my breathing or relaxation exercises consistently since she died a month ago).

I just wanted to say good luck in finding your strength.  In my strong moments I know I (and you) can do this, it's just the weak moments I'm worried about :)

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• imageannabelle.27:
    Everyone gets anxious. It's the unknown, and it's a big deal. I was anxious too, but I got through it naturally. Women have been doing it naturally for forever, and you can, too.

All that being said, you might decide you don't want to do it naturally. I dont say this to be discouraging, just factual. Birth plans change, and they can change in labour, too. If you find you really want the meds, and you are informed about that choice, and you make it with the proper support and aren't bullied into it, there is nothing wrong with that decision. There have been a few birth stories posted lately from wouldbe natural birthers who got the meds and are still happy with their experience. And that's wonderful, too.

Yes

BabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"