Attachment Parenting

What to do when you can't wear LO?

When we're out and about, I wear DD pretty much constantly.nbsp; We don't even own an infant carseat/carrier because it got so little use as a carrier with DS that I gave it away and started with convertible carseats from birth for DD. We also don't own a stroller that is appropriate for a young baby; all we have is a little umbrella stroller to use on rare occasion for DS.It occurred to me the other day that there will be a few times when I probably can't wear DD for example, at my postpartum MW appt in a couple weeks.nbsp; What do you do in a situation like that?nbsp; Put LO on a comfy blanket on the floor for a moment?nbsp; Kinda ick!nbsp; Ask if a nurse can hold her?nbsp; Seems obtrusive of me!nbsp; Carry along a portable baby seat for LO?nbsp; Do any exist other than the Bjorn one? nbsp;
Natural hospital birthing, babywearing, cloth diapering, co-sleeping, Baby Led Weaning, milk donating, extended breastfeeding, fully vaxing, extended rear facing SAHM to:
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: What to do when you can't wear LO?

• imageSortaCrunchy:

When we're out and about, I wear DD pretty much constantly.  We don't even own an infant carseat/carrier because it got so little use (as a carrier) with DS that I gave it away and started with convertible carseats from birth for DD.

It occurred to me the other day that there will be a few times when I probably can't wear DD-- for example, at my postpartum MW appt in a couple weeks.  What do you do in a situation like that?  Put LO on a comfy blanket on the floor for a moment?  (Kinda ick!)  Ask if a nurse can hold her?  (Seems obtrusive of me!)  Carry along a portable baby seat for LO?  (Do any exist other than the Bjorn one?)

Ask a nurse to hold LO. They usually love to do it. Heck, I brought LO in with an infant carrier and the nurses made me take her out so they could pass her around. LOL

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Well, at my postpartum appt after DD was born I had her in her infant carseat but she wouldn't stay in it.  I ended up holding her on my chest while I got my exam.  A little awkward, but no big deal.  My OB said it happens all the time.  DS did stay in the carseat, which was nice, but I was fully prepared to do the same again if necessary.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • When I don't wear her, I just use a stroller. (We have a convertible car seat too, so no carrier.) I didn't start BW until more recently so prior to that the stroller got a lot more use.
  • After DD was born I had a rough recovery that required lots of dr appointments and five months of weekly physical therapy. DD spent lots of time being held during exams and such.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Currently going through our second deployment. Can't wait for Zoe to meet her daddy!

• Normally a blanket on the floor doesn't phase me, but a medical office is kind of icky for me with that. I have heard of moms using a Bumbo for those moments. Once I brought a foldable baby bath seat out with me (like below). A stroller can work, too. (I got mine from Freecycle.)

Summer Infant Deluxe Baby Bather - Blue

• I actually did hold Eleanor (and maybe Callum too...can't remember) for at least one pp appt.  For another, one of the front desk staff offered to hold her.  This was a midwifery birth center practice though so they expected you to have baby at the appt. since they did a check up on her as well.  If you aren't able to hold her on your chest during the exam (which should be ok for a newborn) I wouldn't feel odd asking a nurse to hold her.
  • imageaglenn:

Well, at my postpartum appt after DD was born I had her in her infant carseat but she wouldn't stay in it.  I ended up holding her on my chest while I got my exam.  A little awkward, but no big deal.  My OB said it happens all the time.  DS did stay in the carseat, which was nice, but I was fully prepared to do the same again if necessary.

This I had him on my chest while she did my exam he was fussy & needed to nurse.  Not so bad & the exam is quick. Do what you have to do!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"