Natural Birth

planning no epi, but will be accepting pain meds

anyone else? also for those stms who had pain meds: they dont make you super loopy do they? lol i would liketo be 100% all there when meeting my baby lol
Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

Re: planning no epi, but will be accepting pain meds

• No experience myself, but from what I understand IV pain meds make you feel sort of drunk.  I have a friend that had Stadol, and she said all it did was make her tired, and did nothing for the pain (it's hard to imagine it didn't help at least a little, but that's what she reports).  She said she would never do it again.  

Just out of curiosity, why are you hoping to go this route?  Why this over an epi, if you don't mind me asking? 

• My MW and I agree that an epi is actually preferable to a narcotic.  They can very well make you loopy and from what I have heard they don't even help with the pain that much. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes they will make you very loopy and they don't help much just make you out of it so you can't complain about the pain. At least that's my experience with them from when I was in the hospital and had major pain and they gave stadol to me.

And due to the effect on the baby they won't give them to you after 7 cm or so to give it time to wear off before the birth which means pushing is all natuural.

If you don't want a natural birth get the epidural as it's more effective and in comparison safer than the meds for baby. 

• From what friends and an LD nurse have told me, pain meds are really only helpful if you have early labor that's stretching on and you need a nap break.  They won't make a dent in later labor pain, but they may dull early labor pain and knock you out enough to sleep.  I'm keeping them on the table if I'm heading toward exhaustion and need a break (I'd rather try drugs first than go straight for epidural), but if what you want is full pain relief, an epi is a better option.

Pain meds affect everyone differently--some women are fine, some get very tired, some nauseated, some really loopy.  And there are a lot of diffferent drugs that can be used--it's really hard to guage what your experience will be like from others' because everyone reacts differently and there are so many options.

That said, they usually won't administer drugs within a couple hours of baby's estimated birth so that the drugs have time to clear the baby's system and s/he won't be born doped up.  This means you won't be loopy at that point, either.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The only pain meds that I know of that reduce pain without making you feel loopy, or affecting the baby is nitrous oxide, or laughing gas. But that's the extent of my knowledge, so I'm going to agree with PP. 
    TTC 1: Off BCP late October 2011. BFP #1 Jan 2, 2012; EDD September 5, 2012; m/c Jan 12, 2012. BFP #2 June 14, 2012; EDD February 22, 2013.
    BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
    My super all about me birth story:
    Then: Fraternal twins born at 26 weeks in 1983. Me: 640 grams. Brother: 840 grams. Family kept watch in the NICU for 5 months before being allowed to go home. On oxygen for a year and a half after being released.
    Now: Me: PhD student and married. Brother: Lawyer and married.
    Dad's wedding speech: Thank you to all the family who stood watch and prayed for our children's survival. Well now the little scrawny chicken is married. Who would've thought? (Thanks dad for making me laugh and cry at the same time).
    My BFP Chart
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagesschwege:

No experience myself, but from what I understand IV pain meds make you feel sort of drunk.  I have a friend that had Stadol, and she said all it did was make her tired, and did nothing for the pain (it's hard to imagine it didn't help at least a little, but that's what she reports).  She said she would never do it again.  

Just out of curiosity, why are you hoping to go this route?  Why this over an epi, if you don't mind me asking? 

to be honest, one of the huge reasons why i don't want an epi is because i just don't think a needle should be going near my spine like that, it FREAKS me out. honestly, if an epi were a shot in the arm, i most likely would get it done. 

• I haven't experienced it first hand, but it seems that they affect everyone a little differently -- anything from tipsy to sleepy to no effect whatsoever (including not taking the edge off).  The worst side effect, imo, is when it makes people itchy.  It also does not last very long.  The first shot gives you up to an hour, the second maybe a half hour, and the 3rd often doesn't do anything.
  • Narcotics also affect the baby - it makes THEM loopy, or sleepy, and can cause issues with breastfeeding initiation because of that.

I would have accepted the nitrous if I'd wanted/needed it, but other than that I'd rather have an epi.

• imagedpraseutsinh:
    imagesschwege:

No experience myself, but from what I understand IV pain meds make you feel sort of drunk.  I have a friend that had Stadol, and she said all it did was make her tired, and did nothing for the pain (it's hard to imagine it didn't help at least a little, but that's what she reports).  She said she would never do it again.  

to be honest, one of the huge reasons why i don't want an epi is because i just don't think a needle should be going near my spine like that, it FREAKS me out. honestly, if an epi were a shot in the arm, i most likely would get it done. 

I would ask your doc about the nitrous oxide route. That wasn't an option for me when the time came, but I definitely would have tried that first. I was offered Stadol over the Epi but the risk of being totally drunk feeling sounded absolutely miserable at the time.

The needle in the spine thing sounds way worse than it actually is. Don't get me wrong - it SUCKED having them put in the catheter while going through contractions. But really, the worst part of it was the fact that I had to sit still during contractions while they were doing it.

• looks like i'll be passing on the pain meds! lol thanks ladies!
  • imageHyaline:

From what friends and an LD nurse have told me, pain meds are really only helpful if you have early labor that's stretching on and you need a nap break.  They won't make a dent in later labor pain, but they may dull early labor pain and knock you out enough to sleep.

This is exactly why I ended up having one dose of some medication (I don't know the name of it--it was in Spain and my mom didn't write it down in the labor log she was keeping) during my labor.  I was exhausted and really feeling overwhelmed.  I was on the edge of giving up and asking for an epidural.  I had contractions two minutes apart and extremely intense for a couple hours, but I wasn't progressing past 5cm.

They gave me the medicine, it made me out of it and did nothing for the pain at all, but it helped me get short little naps and I was able to rest for about an hour or so.  Then after that wore off I was re-energized, went into transition, and had no more drugs the rest of my labor.  

I did not plan to have this intervention, but I don't regret it.  It didn't help with the pain,but it did help my personal outlook at the time and my energy level so I think it was definitely worth having.   

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageCelyn:
    I haven't experienced it first hand, but it seems that they affect everyone a little differently -- anything from tipsy to sleepy to no effect whatsoever (including not taking the edge off).  The worst side effect, imo, is when it makes people itchy.  It also does not last very long.  The first shot gives you up to an hour, the second maybe a half hour, and the 3rd often doesn't do anything.

YES...being itchy is the worst!  They gave it to me with DS1 and I hated it.  It did nothing for the pain and it made me feel terrible and itchy.  I had an epi with #2 and it was totally different - you just don't feel any pain when a contraction hit but you are totally with it and know what's going on.  I don't know what it feels like to push with an epi since it wore off for me by the time I had to push with DS2.  DS3 I was completely natural.

*** William Abner 8/25/2008 24w3d *** Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I respect a mom's decision to choose what is right for her & her baby, but I personally don't understand going through an entire pregnancy making sure I am careful about what I put in my body (meaning not even taking a single tylenol or any medication) and then at the end saying "what the hell" and putting narcotics in my body.  They do pass to the baby; the pain of childbirth isn't that bad so I would instead go in with an open mind that you CAN do this med free.  A lot of it is mind over matter.

• imagewannabigfam:

I respect a mom's decision to choose what is right for her & her baby, but I personally don't understand going through an entire pregnancy making sure I am careful about what I put in my body (meaning not even taking a single tylenol or any medication) and then at the end saying "what the hell" and putting narcotics in my body.  They do pass to the baby; the pain of childbirth isn't that bad so I would instead go in with an open mind that you CAN do this med free.  A lot of it is mind over matter.

This is a public board and of course you are entitled to say whatever you want.  Which is why I am going to say what I'm going to say, the tone I am feeling from your post is judgmental and totally unhelpful.  She didn't ask about your opinion on medicated births, only wanted to know if people had experience with forms of medicated pain relief other than an epi.  

OP: Only you can know what is right for you and your baby.  You got a lot of helpful advice on this post.  I hope you disregard this one as someone who clearly has an oversimplified view of things.      

• imagesschwege:
    imagewannabigfam:

I respect a mom's decision to choose what is right for her & her baby, but I personally don't understand going through an entire pregnancy making sure I am careful about what I put in my body (meaning not even taking a single tylenol or any medication) and then at the end saying "what the hell" and putting narcotics in my body.  They do pass to the baby; the pain of childbirth isn't that bad so I would instead go in with an open mind that you CAN do this med free.  A lot of it is mind over matter.

This is a public board and of course you are entitled to say whatever you want.  Which is why I am going to say what I'm going to say, the tone I am feeling from your post is judgmental and totally unhelpful.  She didn't ask about your opinion on medicated births, only wanted to know if people had experience with forms of medicated pain relief other than an epi.  

OP: Only you can know what is right for you and your baby.  You got a lot of helpful advice on this post.  I hope you disregard this one as someone who clearly has an oversimplified view of things.      

I don't care if it sounded judgmental or not.  I'm not sure why women think that the decisions they make SHOULDN'T be judged.  Why is so awful to point out that the medication DOES pass to the baby...if that tidbit of information makes a mom feel bad, well then maybe they shouldn't be making that decision re: taking the medication in the first place.  To the OP, I think the question is a great one - but I think it's important to understand the meds to pass to the baby and if you're okay with that, then great, that's your decision as a mom.  I just would encourage you to have more confidence - you don't  HAVE to go into childbirth assuming that you will HAVE to have medication.  Educating yourself about your options is great - but also consider the possibility (and perhaps go in with the mindset) that medication might not be needed.  

• I was given IV drugs with my twins.  They dulled the pain, but did not remove it, and I was very loopy.  Given our situation (born too premature so 100% chance thy would die), it was what I needed.  I would not choose that route for a birth I wanted to be fully mentally present for.

With DS I used nitrous oxide.  Again, it does not remove the pain, but does take the edge off, and takes away the anxiety about contractions. As well, because you have to breathe it in, you control your breathing and if you don't like it, you simply pull it away to be done.  No side effects for you or babe.

DD came too fast for any option then natural.  I would have used nitrous again if I had the time or felt the need.  That said, her birth really was the least painful and the one I felt most in control of, despite the speed. 

• When I laboured with my twins (which I lost, see siggy) I was on morphine and had been given 2 Ativan a few hours prior. It was awful. I had no idea what was happening and felt super loopy. My SIL also had morphine and she said she really hated it. It's the absolute one thing I for sure do NOT want when in labour this time. 

ETA: Oh yeah and they did nothing for the pain. Still felt everything and was totally out of it. After they were born DH was crying and I was clueless for several minutes after they passed. Definitely will be avoiding next time! 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • imagewannabigfam:

I'm not sure that women who choose pain meds do so with an attitude of "what the hell". Perhaps they are educated on their choices and are making the choice that is best for them. (which you respect)

It is your opinion that the pain of childbirth isn't that bad. Maybe some women do feel they need pain meds even with the knowledge that their bodies are made for chidbirth and women have been doing this forever.

I know I can have a child med free because I went that route with my first but I choose to have an epi with my second child. I don't regret it at all. I was more rested and I was able to enjoy more of the labour. After the baby was born I wasn't overly tired and I was able to breastfeed and spend more awake time with my new baby. I am pregnant now and I have a truly open mind. I know I can do it either way and I plan on doing it in the way I need to while in labour. I am walking in thinking med-free but with options.

OP, You just need to know your options, know that whichever way you choose you can do it and be comfortable with your choices. Don't feel pressured to go with or without meds.

I found the epidural amazing and I really enjoyed the fact that I was more awake after birth. I found my med-free birth amazing although more painful.

• I had Stadol with my DS and eventually ended up with an epidural anyway.  The Stadol did absolutely NOTHING for my pain!  It just made me sick and tired, as well as a little loopy.  I would tend to say if you end up wanting some type of intervention for the pain, skip the narcotics and just go for the epidural.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageHyaline:

From what friends and an LD nurse have told me, pain meds are really only helpful if you have early labor that's stretching on and you need a nap break.  They won't make a dent in later labor pain, but they may dull early labor pain and knock you out enough to sleep.  I'm keeping them on the table if I'm heading toward exhaustion and need a break (I'd rather try drugs first than go straight for epidural), but if what you want is full pain relief, an epi is a better option.

Pain meds affect everyone differently--some women are fine, some get very tired, some nauseated, some really loopy.  And there are a lot of diffferent drugs that can be used--it's really hard to guage what your experience will be like from others' because everyone reacts differently and there are so many options.

That said, they usually won't administer drugs within a couple hours of baby's estimated birth so that the drugs have time to clear the baby's system and s/he won't be born doped up.  This means you won't be loopy at that point, either.

This was my experience with Staydol.  I got it around 3-4 centimeters but I was literally 3-4 for almost 10 hours.  I was exhausted and couldn't sleep.  I was actually so thankful for Staydol because it knocked me right out and gave me 2 hours of peaceful sleep.  I definitely wouldn't want to have it close to delivery but I would totally take it again if I had another long labor. 

Also, I did some research and if there is any effect on the baby, it is almost always when given to late in labor. 

• As a labor and delivery nurse we usually only give IV pain medication in early labor. Sometimes it's too early to get an epidural, but they need to relax so they can dilate. We use Fentanyl or Opana. It does go to the baby. You can see it on the fetal heart rate tracing, the baby's heart rate gets flat. We don't like to give it after about 8 cm on a first time mom, because it can cause respiratory depression on the baby and the baby sometimes needs to be resuscitated. (Yes, like code blue for an adult.) We also can give the baby Narcan which is the antidote, and can reverse the affects of the narcotic.

Also, the narcotics do not get rid of the pain, but make you loopy and usually nauseated. I had them once, and I didn't like the feeling and I still felt pain, but just didn't care so much about the pain.

With a good epidural, you can usually feel pressure when it's time to push and you don't feel "out of it." It takes away the pain, but not the experience.

• I had a completely different experience with stadol then everyone else here. After 48 hours of labor I was at 7 cm when I arrived at the hospital. I was EXHAUSTED and overwhelmed and couldn't do it anymore, I asked for the stadol so that I could sleep and take the edge off, and that is exactly what it did. While on it I was able to sleep, and though I still felt the contractions they weren't nearly as overwhelming. I did feel completely drunk and out of it while I was on it though. 

It lasted about an hour and 40 minutes and by the end of it I was at 8.5 cm.

When it wore off, I was completely back and feeling everything again - there was no residual side effects. My daughter latched on with no problems after birth and was not under the influence.

I do not at all regret getting the stadol - it was what I needed to get over the hump and continue on to a natural labor. However, immediately after the stadol wore off I got into the labor tub at the hospital which was full of warm water (it had jets but we turned those off because they just annoyed me during contractions). I was able to float my entire body in the tub and completely stretch out - it was fantastic and very helpful. Had I gotten in the tub first I think I might have been able to do it without the stadol. 

So here is my recommendation for what you should do:

Try to do it without the drugs - if you go into hoping for completely natural but flexible in terms of doing what you need to do to get through.

Try the labor pool if that is an option at your hospital (it really helps) 

If you need something to take the edge off for just a little while and to get some rest there is nothing wrong with asking for what you need. Your baby will be fine.  

TTC since July 2009 ^Rosemary^ May 7, 2010 Holding my rainbow, Beatrix, since August 21, 2012
  • imagedpraseutsinh:

As someone who has had many epidural steroid injections for herniated discs, I can promise that you'll feel better if you talk this one over with your doctor - epidural injections sound much weirder than they feel. I was freaked to at first, but I was also in so much pain I was willing to try whatever - and maybe you'll be the same way, just in labor pain instead of having nerve pain.

Even if you're sure you don't want an epidural, I'd try to get comfortable with the idea in case of c-section. Correct me if I'm wrong since I haven't had a c-section, but all my friends who have tell me they got epidural pain blocks / medication in order to be awake when baby came out... If it were me, just on the off chance I have a problem and have to have an unexpected / last minute c-section, I'd go ahead and try to get comfortable with spinal meds - better to be prepared just in case.

I do understand being freaked though! Hopefully your doc can help. Or maybe even talking with some women who've had an epidural during labor - I can tell you that my injections didn't hurt at all, but I was able to lay on my stomach and have a local anesthetic for them so I'm sure it's different.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"