Dads & Dads-to-be
Options

Quick Childbirth Classes.

Hi,

I just wanted to get the male opinion on childbirth classes. After talking to some dad's to be, I get the impression that you guys don't mind the classes if they are to the point and short. I recently changed the classes I teach to a one-time 4 hour Saturday Class. How do you all feel about this, any tips for me teaching the class so that the dads also enjoy the class and feel good about taking it?

Re: Quick Childbirth Classes.

• Options

With our first, we went to class once a week for four weeks.  Each night was three hours long (I believe).  It was helpful, but not really my cup of tea.  I did learn a few things, but my wife was so research happy that I already knew most of it.  The lady teaching the class separated the men and women a few times so each could brainstorm about the same subject.  This was the most interesting part of the class because of seeing how each side thinks about one thing.  The more activities the better.  Some nights it was mainly a PowerPoint presentation (BORING!), so I would suggest staying clear of a four hour PowerPoint presentation.  The moms might stay interested, but for the most part, I think the dads will go into their own world and just wait for it to be over.

• Options
    imagemhaverkamp:

The more activities the better.  Some nights it was mainly a PowerPoint presentation (BORING!), so I would suggest staying clear of a four hour PowerPoint presentation.  The moms might stay interested, but for the most part, I think the dads will go into their own world and just wait for it to be over.

Thanks so much! Great tips! I really appreciate the feedback.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagepolooo26:

I would suggest having lots of hands on activities. Pass some of the tools the doctors use around the room. That sort of thing. Talking for more than 10 minutes and I'm in a different world. 

Perfect! Thanks!!!

• Options

I would have loved a one time-one day class.  We went to 5 classes total, once a week, 3 hours a class.  It was pretty brutal for me, although we got a ton of information.

I agree about the hands-on activity.

• Options

OK, I have a few hands on activities, but sounds like you guys really like that part. I have a lot of information to get through in 4 hours. I do have a power point, but it has some funny animations and videos. It isn't a bunch of reading. Most of my class encourages discussion. But, I will look into adding more activities! Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"