Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

Sore throat an old wives tale??

2»

Re: Sore throat an old wives tale??

• Options
    imagejz0930:

Wow, sad that a woman can't come on this site and ask questions without feeling like she is dumb or get mad fun of. Whatever the question, no one should be made to feel like that. Everyone on this board is going through the same thing and all has questions about what the hell is going on with their bodies! Is it really that awful that she asks a question. You people need to get over yourselves and stop acting like you are the experts just because you spend every waking moment on this site. I have purposely not asked questions on here because I am afraid someone is going to call me lame or stupid for not already knowing the answer. For many of us this is our first time going through this experience and have no clue what to expect.

Maybe we can help each other out and be supportive through this exciting and unsure time in our lives, pretty sure that is what this board was intended for. Also, not to mention the fact there is a huge problem with bullying in schools across America. Possibly due to the fact that kids are watching their moms do the same thing on their laptops?

Grow up ladies

• Options
    imagejz0930:

Wow, sad that a woman can't come on this site and ask questions without feeling like she is dumb or get mad fun of. Whatever the question, no one should be made to feel like that. Everyone on this board is going through the same thing and all has questions about what the hell is going on with their bodies! Is it really that awful that she asks a question. You people need to get over yourselves and stop acting like you are the experts just because you spend every waking moment on this site. I have purposely not asked questions on here because I am afraid someone is going to call me lame or stupid for not already knowing the answer. For many of us this is our first time going through this experience and have no clue what to expect.

Maybe we can help each other out and be supportive through this exciting and unsure time in our lives, pretty sure that is what this board was intended for. Also, not to mention the fact there is a huge problem with bullying in schools across America. Possibly due to the fact that kids are watching their moms do the same thing on their laptops?

Grow up ladies

It is very brave of you to defend this OP, you are missing the point. This is not bullying when the OP brought this 'irrelevant and quite ridiculous' question upon herself to a board of women who see things like this constantly!  And the answers are always the same....take an HPT, and you'll know if you are PG.  Otherwise, keep reading, lurking, and when you have a serious or intelligent question to pose to this board (or you just need to vent for whatever reason), feel free to post.  But always remember that not everyone will agree with you, write what you are hoping to read, or be as sweet as you may want.  It is expected....you need to be mature enough to handle it.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagejz0930:

Grow up ladies

How did you know?!! I've got my kids lined up behind me right now, reading every word I type. (I read it aloud to my 2-year old since she can't read and I don't want her to miss out.)

Iz a gud mommee.

Mary Jane {12} Kaden {10} Eliza {4} Due Sept. '14

CafeMom Tickers

Considering . . . Agatha, Beatrix, Clara, Daphne, Isadora, Josephine, Matilda, Philippa, Tabitha, Winifred . . .
  • Options

imagejz0930:
    Wow, sad that a woman can't come on this site and ask questions without feeling like she is dumb or get mad fun of. Whatever the question, no one should be made to feel like that. Everyone on this board is going through the same thing and all has questions about what the hell is going on with their bodies! Is it really that awful that she asks a question. You people need to get over yourselves and stop acting like you are the experts just because you spend every waking moment on this site. I have purposely not asked questions on here because I am afraid someone is going to call me lame or stupid for not already knowing the answer. For many of us this is our first time going through this experience and have no clue what to expect. Maybe we can help each other out and be supportive through this exciting and unsure time in our lives, pretty sure that is what this board was intended for. Also, not to mention the fact there is a huge problem with bullying in schools across America. Possibly due to the fact that kids are watching their moms do the same thing on their laptops? Grow up ladies

Oh, what would we ever do without you internet hero / Internet white knight? Please cure us evil bitches of our ways!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Eta: resized

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    heh, we can all dream that a sore throat is a symptom right? I'd be KTFU for sure then! lol  sadly tho, it's a nasty cold that I don't see going away in the next couple days. =p
    *married June 18, 2011 to the most wonderful man ever* BFP #1 6/11/12, M/C on 7/11/12 @ 9 weeks 6 days, baby measuring at 6 weeks 2 days. We love you baby v! Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers PitaPata Dog tickersPitaPata Dog tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    imageCLECyclist:
    imagesugarellie:

Isnt this what this whole site is for ? a sounding board of other women and support ?

Wheeeeee

This = amazing

Also, I cannot believe that this really does happen every Tuesday. It's incredible. I wonder what it is about Tuesdays.... 

12/19/2012 BFP! 
    EDD 08/26/2013 
    Our little girl arrived 8/22/2013!

• Options

imagesugarellie:
    Morning everyone !! So I woke up this morning with a really sore throat.. no congestion, no cough , just a sore throat.. from lurking with Dr. Google it seems some women think this is an early sign of pregnancy.. Any of you have experience with this??? or weird coinsidence ??

I believe it! With my first son I had a sore throat, and then turned into a flu. Once the flu lasted so long I took a pregnancy test and it was positive. With my 3rd son I also had a sore throat, and decided to test as well and it was positive too! So I guess for me it was...

BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

Well, I'm 7 DPO and woke up with a sore throat this morning. Then I remembered that it's ragweed season and I'm allergic ;)

I have read that your sinuses can feel odd because of the changes in mucus but I've never heard of the throat thing. It does sound like a bit of a stretch.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagejz0930:
    Wow, sad that a woman can't come on this site and ask questions without feeling like she is dumb or get mad fun of. Whatever the question, no one should be made to feel like that. Everyone on this board is going through the same thing and all has questions about what the hell is going on with their bodies! Is it really that awful that she asks a question. You people need to get over yourselves and stop acting like you are the experts just because you spend every waking moment on this site. I have purposely not asked questions on here because I am afraid someone is going to call me lame or stupid for not already knowing the answer. For many of us this is our first time going through this experience and have no clue what to expect. Maybe we can help each other out and be supportive through this exciting and unsure time in our lives, pretty sure that is what this board was intended for. Also, not to mention the fact there is a huge problem with bullying in schools across America. Possibly due to the fact that kids are watching their moms do the same thing on their laptops? Grow up ladies

Most of us educate ourselves by reading TTC books and articles from trusted sites. Please, pick up a book. Everyone is NOT going through the same thing. We have the same goal but different paths. If you want baby dust and glittery unicorn farts then check out one of the other ttc boards. We are not someone's personal Google. We have fun and keep each other sane. That includes telling someone not to believe silly old wives tales. If you want support, give support. Stick around and I promise we will make you laugh, too!

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageSlapptastic:
    imageHBGroz6912:

imagesugarellie:
    Morning everyone !! So I woke up this morning with a really sore throat.. no congestion, no cough , just a sore throat.. from lurking with Dr. Google it seems some women think this is an early sign of pregnancy.. Any of you have experience with this??? or weird coinsidence ??

I believe it! With my first son I had a sore throat, and then turned into a flu. Once the flu lasted so long I took a pregnancy test and it was positive. With my 3rd son I also had a sore throat, and decided to test as well and it was positive too! So I guess for me it was...

Right, but you were able to turn an HPT positive at that point.  

I believe the OP was talking about before you have enough HCG in your system to even register on a pee stick.

True, BUT the sore throat actually happened 3 weeks after my LMP. I didn't test for another 2 weeks! So technically I don't know if I would of been able to turn a test positive. I am not saying that every sore throat is a sign, but for me personally it was. Even with my 3rd, I woke up with a sore throat and thought I bet I am pregnant and sure enough was... Crazy things happen when you are pregnant. For instance I get a patch of brown on my neck, my hair keeps getting curlier, my ankle had a patch of dry skin, I've got the mask of pregnancy. My dr has even said you can't rule anything out with pregnancy. It may not be a sign you are pregnant but once you are don't assume it isn't because you are pregnant.

• Options
    imageCLECyclist:

Are you freaking kidding me???

I .... I just can't.

Holy crap

Wow.

This what thought! I woke up with a sow throat two days in a row! I must be having twins.... 

imageimage

Started TTC July 24, 2012
    BFP #1 June 15, 2013 ended in MMC July 21, 2013
    BFP #2 October 13, 2013 ended in natural miscarriage November 1, 2013
    ALL WELCOME
  • Options
    imageCLECyclist:

imageHBGroz6912:
    True, BUT the sore throat actually happened 3 weeks after my LMP

I don't know about this. By this logic, everything that happens to you in the 2WW is a pregnancy sign. That's kind of a reach, I think? The reason this question can never be answered with full sincerity is because what happened for you, may not happen for someone when they're pregnant.

I'm not saying that you believing that it's a pregnancy symptom is wrong/invalid - it's just that it could as easily NOT be a pregnancy symptom as it could be one. I'm editing to say that I know YOU know this, but I'm not sure about some of the others reading this post ;-)

Pregnancy symptoms would occur AFTER implantation, and by then (or a couple days after) you'd turn an HPT positive. So your experience works and is valid for you, but isn't valid for someone else (necessarily). Technically telling someone it's a pregnancy symptom is a half truth, or speculative at best.

First of all my first son was an oops! I had no idea I was pregnant so it wasn't phantom symptoms... Second the only reason I even remember I had a sore throat and when it occured was because it was a Friday and I was at work saying how my throat was killing me! In fact I just looked at the Calendar, and it wasn't 3 weeks after my LMP it was 2. 04/06/05 was LMP, and my sore throat was 04/22. I ended up calling in all the next week cause that sore throat turned into chills, diarrhea, fever, you name it! I had it all week, and then it went away and came back the next. My mom asked if I was pregnant and I thought she was nuts. Since when is the flu a pregnancy sign... but it was.I took my test 05/15. My 3rd son I got a sore throat 04/26 and test the same day. However my LMP was 03/30. So that was about 4 weeks.

I told you my experience because it's not like I am telling this girl hey you are pregnant cause I was, but I am saying well I had something similar so anything is possible... And she never mentioned how far out she is? Did she test? I am no expert but hey the worst that will happen is she will test and it will be negative and she'll realize it wasn't a sign for her.  

• Options

It is an early sign...of you getting sick!!! 

Confused

photo 46122502-649c-4d9b-a99e-dc22cf009d51_zpsf72c5124.jpg photo mason4_zps7f19f81c.jpg

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker TTC 07/2010, Dx with PCOS 11/2011, H's S/A= Perfect!!! HSG= both tubes clear!
    Round #6- 7.5mg Femara+ .5mg Dex+ 75iu Gonal-F+ hCG trigger+ IUI=BFP!!!
    Beta #1(14dpo)- 94 Beta#2(22dpo)- 1,619 Beta#3 (28dpo)- 11,396!!!

Just a Little Blog

• Options
    imagejz0930:

Grow up ladies

If my very best friend in the whole world asked me the question the OP asked, the very LEAST I would do is look at her like this:

And then I would probably laugh and tell her "Are you kidding me right now? NO freaking way. Stop googling crap like that and use your brain." In love, of course. ;)

I don't consider that "bullying". No one considered it "awful" that a newb asked a question, but I think people are kind of *headdesk* that the question lacked any common sense.

Asking if a sore throat means you're pregnant is like saying "I got a bug bite. I wonder if that means it's going to rain?". The two things aren't related in any way.

As for your response - a tad dramatic, don't you think? Good gravy, lady.

Evelyn (3.24.10), Graham (5.30.13) & Miles (8.28.16)
  • Options

imageCLECyclist:
    imageHBGroz6912:
    You could not go to a doctor and say you had a sore throat and the hot poops and have them tell you that you're pregnant WITHOUT doing a pregnancy test. There isn't a set list of symptoms that everyone has that definitively indicate pregnancy. That was the point I tried (and evidently failed?) to get across to you and to this thread.

Um ok. I got that as well. I was however was trying to shed some light that just cause it isn't on a list doesn't mean it can't be part of being pregnant. But everyone treated her like there was no way a sore throat would ever have anything to do with being pregnant. So I said well in my case I think it did. Smile

• Options
    imageangelaclevenger:
    imageCLECyclist:

Are you freaking kidding me???

I .... I just can't.

Holy crap

Wow.

This what thought! I woke up with a sow throat two days in a row! I must be having twins.... 

A sow throat?  Ruh-roh.

Married to my best friend 6/5/10
    BFP #1 9/7/10, EDD 5/14/11, Violet born 5/27/11.
    BFP #2 4/9/12, EDD 12/16/12, M/C Rory 4/24/12.
    BFP #3 10/6/12, EDD 6/16/12., Matilda born 6/17/13.
  • Options
    imageGhostMonkey:
    imageHBGroz6912:

True, BUT the sore throat actually happened 3 weeks after my LMP.

So you think a sore throat prior to implantation was a pregnancy sign?

Ok then.

Prior to implantation? Um obviously not. Who said that it was?

• Options
    imageHungryRunner76:

It's Tuesday.  Let the madness begin.

This is what I was thinking!

**~Future Mama to my June "Sprout"~**
    EDD- 06/13/2017
    **Stinkerbelle-8-27-10 * Mr.P's 2nd Mama 7-27-07**
    TTGP's 2013 Sweetest Bumpie <3 

• Options
    imageMrsErinH:
    imageCLECyclist:
    imagesugarellie:

Isnt this what this whole site is for ? a sounding board of other women and support ?

Wheeeeee

LOVE.THIS!

Me too!  CLE, you really outdid yourself with the bingo.  Is it new?  

imageHBGroz6912:
    imagesugarellie:
     I'm patiently waiting for when OP comes back in a few days and says "Guess what!  BFP after all!"  

But that's Thursdays.  Or weekends.   ;)   

imageimageimage
  • Options

Correlation =/= Causation.

It's been said before on this board and it will be said many more times. It's like saying "I wore a blue shirt on the day I broke my arm; therefore, I cannot wear blue shirts ever again or I will break my arm again." 

It's a little murkier here because I have also heard that increased mucus production during pregnancy can give a woman cold-like symptoms. But as PPs have said, this would occur well after your BFP. Any symptoms prior to that are unrelated to pregnancy. 

I promise to never forget that this little dude deserves just as much love after the baby comes as he has now.
    imageimageimageimage
    Me & H: 28 TTC #1 since 7/12...come on baby!
  • Options
    Didn't we have another poster asking if she was pregnant a few days ago because she had a sore throat and thought it was a symptom? Or am I just making that up?
  • Options
    Well I must be destined to get KU with triplets this cycle because I've had an inexplicable sore throat for the past several days and I haven't even O'd yet! 
    OP, its a coincidence. 
    image  image
    О Привязать! Z!
    The Science Babies debuted 5/6/14 @ 34 weeks
  • Options

Sore throat was my first pregnancy symptom. Don't know why or how, but it was true for me. It came on very suddenly at around 12 DPO with no other symptoms of illness. It just felt like a "different" sore throat. Tested at 14dpo and was pregnant. Yes I know how stupid I sound. It is what it is. Felt compelled to defend OP.

can't get the ticker to work, but I have two sons:

Baby RJ, born 1/25/2014

Formerly Twilightmv
  • Options
    imageHBGroz6912:
    imageCLECyclist:

imageHBGroz6912:
    True, BUT the sore throat actually happened 3 weeks after my LMP

I don't know about this. By this logic, everything that happens to you in the 2WW is a pregnancy sign. That's kind of a reach, I think? The reason this question can never be answered with full sincerity is because what happened for you, may not happen for someone when they're pregnant.

I'm not saying that you believing that it's a pregnancy symptom is wrong/invalid - it's just that it could as easily NOT be a pregnancy symptom as it could be one. I'm editing to say that I know YOU know this, but I'm not sure about some of the others reading this post ;-)

Pregnancy symptoms would occur AFTER implantation, and by then (or a couple days after) you'd turn an HPT positive. So your experience works and is valid for you, but isn't valid for someone else (necessarily). Technically telling someone it's a pregnancy symptom is a half truth, or speculative at best.

First of all my first son was an oops! I had no idea I was pregnant so it wasn't phantom symptoms... Second the only reason I even remember I had a sore throat and when it occured was because it was a Friday and I was at work saying how my throat was killing me! In fact I just looked at the Calendar, and it wasn't 3 weeks after my LMP it was 2. 04/06/05 was LMP, and my sore throat was 04/22. I ended up calling in all the next week cause that sore throat turned into chills, diarrhea, fever, you name it! I had it all week, and then it went away and came back the next. My mom asked if I was pregnant and I thought she was nuts. Since when is the flu a pregnancy sign... but it was.I took my test 05/15. My 3rd son I got a sore throat 04/26 and test the same day. However my LMP was 03/30. So that was about 4 weeks.

I told you my experience because it's not like I am telling this girl hey you are pregnant cause I was, but I am saying well I had something similar so anything is possible... And she never mentioned how far out she is? Did she test? I am no expert but hey the worst that will happen is she will test and it will be negative and she'll realize it wasn't a sign for her.  

No it wasn't a pregnancy sign.  You just so happened to be sick at the same time you were finding out your were pregnant.

• Options

FFS, We don't need people perpetuating the 'old wives tale'.

The bottom line is, no one knows. Take a test. If it is negative, it isn't a symptom. If it is positive, it could be, but maybe not. The world may never know.

Use this as a reference for all other questions that sound like...'is XYZ a symptom of pregnancy?'. If it is, you can turn an HPT positive.

Off BCP since 1/12
    TTC since 3/12
    High LH/FSH Ratio 8/12
    DX with PCOS 11/12
    Clomid 50mg - 19.5mm Follie - Trigger + TI = BFP! 11/12
    EDD August 11, 2013 
    DS Born August 14, 2013!

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage 

• Options
    ZOMG, DH has a sore throat!!! Guess I better have him POAS
    __________________________________________________________________________________________Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"