Single Parents
Options

How do you do it?

I'm curious how others went about things when they first split. If you owned a house together, did you keep the house or move to an apt or in with family? If you were a SAHM, did you go to work full-time or part-time?
Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: How do you do it?

• Options
    I had to move in with family .. DS was only 6 weeks old when we moved out .. I was a SAHM and decided to go back to college this fall .. it's been hard though cuz ex-SO is refusing to pay child support and I'm still waiting on financial aid .. and it's been even harder because I'm still not over him .. !? 
    image Visit The Nest!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    imageimage
  • Options

We rented an apartment together and he asked me to take the kids and leave (they were 2.5yrs and 5 weeks old).  I rented a little 2br apartment a block away.  It was tight financially, even with him helping with daycare costs (no formal CS), so I applied for new jobs and got one closer to home making more money.  Filed for CS, saved and saved and was able to buy a house a year later.

I've always been the independent type though - never know what could come up and I wouldn't be comfortable not knowing if I could take care of myself and my kids alone. That's always been my priority.

SS10 - SD9 - DD7 - DS5 - DS born 10/3/12
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We were renting an apt. Me and DS moved in with my mom. I was a SAHM mom and still am pretty much.. I work for a small business. But I will be going back to college in the spring for a 10 week program where I will become a certified phlebotomist.
    "Before cancer I just lived, now I LIVESTRONG"- Lance Armstrong. Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

XH and I had 2 houses, one we had just built and moved into, the other we had previously lived in and planned to rent out.  I took the older, smaller house, and he took the newer, more expensive house (I knew I couldn't afford it).  I worked full time when we split, so I continued to do that.  About a year after we split up, I bought my own house just to have a fresh start. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I had to move in with my parents. I was 24 and DS was a year and a half. I thought I could do it myself and I moved in with an old high school friend and that really just made things worse for me. The money that I did have went to rent and daycare and I QUICKLY went broke. I had to suck it up and tell my parents that they were right and I needed their help. It really helped me to get back on my feet since really my only expenses were my cell phone bill and daycare. With no other bills, I caught my bank account back up in no time and was able to move on.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
      Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"