Natural Birth
Options

Anterior placenta and labor

I don't post here much, but I did use this board a lot when I was pg with DS. I had a posterior placenta with him and a pretty easy first labor.  

This time around I have an anterior placenta.  I've heard that it often goes hand in hand with a more difficult labor.  Some say it is also more likely to have a sunny side up baby.  Has this been true for any of you?

Re: Anterior placenta and labor

• Options
    None of that was true for me.  I had anterior placenta with my first and had a good labor experience; no difficulty or issues.
  • Options

I've had two posterior babies.  One I had an anterior placenta and one I didn't/

Regardless, I survived my posterior births and so will you if it happens.  Pushing was definitely more difficult with them and the back labor was intense, but it is manageable naturally. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had an anterior placenta and had a quick labor.  My labor was 11 hours from the first contraction until I pushed my LO out!  The more difficult labor with an AP is due to the position on the baby. My doula made sure I labored in positions that helped put my LO is the anterior position for delivery!
  • Options

imageaylafsu88:
    I had an anterior placenta and had a quick labor.  My labor was 11 hours from the first contraction until I pushed my LO out!  The more difficult labor with an AP is due to the position on the baby. My doula made sure I labored in positions that helped put my LO is the anterior position for delivery!

This. Ask your nurse/midwife/ob to see tell you the position of the baby. There are plenty of positions to help releve the pain or even help rotate the baby. Your nurse should know these things so shoudl your provider.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Not true for me.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    With my 3 LOs Ive had both anterior and posterior placentas and fine labors everytime 
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm a FTM and had an anterior placenta and a super quick (six and a half hours), uncomplicated natural labor and birth. GL!

imageimageimageTTC since 07/11 | natural m/c 08/11 | BFP 12/6/2011 | Elinor Anna born 8/18/2012 | BFP #2 1/16/2014
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I had an anterior placenta and my entire labor was six hours long with no complications.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagebdutton0005:

imageaylafsu88:

This. Ask your nurse/midwife/ob to see tell you the position of the baby. There are plenty of positions to help releve the pain or even help rotate the baby. Your nurse should know these things so shoudl your provider.

I will make sure and ask my midwife about positioning.  Thank you! 

• Options
    I had a posterior placenta with DD ended in a CS but anterior with DS.

DS presented LOA and I had a precipitous labor total was 3 hrs from SROM to delivery at 38w. It was not easier by any counts but that's probably due to the ferocity of the labor.
  • Options
    I had an anterior placenta and worried as well. I had a four hour labor with 15 minutes of pushing (ftm) so it didn't slow me down at all (or if it did, thank goodness because I would have had the baby in the car! lol) The baby was not posterior but I have heard it is slightly more likely to have a posterior baby with an anterior placenta. Having an anterior placenta turned out to be pretty cool during pregnancy...it softens some of the blows when the kicks get strong!
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I had an anterior placenta and she was facing my right side.  About 28 hours of labor (with a good amount of back labor) waiting for her to turn.  The back labor definitely peaked for a few hours...I guess she was taking the long way around, LOL.  I was a FTM so I had nothing to compare it to, and I got through it fine.  The back labor contractions were mostly spent as limp as possible in my H's arms, swaying, while my doula applied counter-pressure to my lower back.  Counter-pressure is the key!
  • Options
    I had an anterior placenta with my daughter. I had a very quick labour (under 4 hours). The only issues I had were that when she came out she didn't turn so her shoulder's came out horizontally and I retained my placenta. Neither of those things were due to the anterior placenta I don't think. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I had an anterior placenta. Baby liked to hang out facing to my left, but he turned in labor and was born in the usual position. I did have a long labor - 22 hours of early natural labor, then 12 hours on Pit (for medical concerns, not for failure to progress), but everything went smoothly.
        image  image

• Options
    Was not true for me when I had anterior placenta.  Easy labor and baby in good position.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"