April 2011 Moms

Waning from binky

DS is almost 18 months and was using his binky just for naps and bedtime, it never left his crib. Our pedi reccomended getting rid if it a while back but we are just now doing it. We went cold turkey Thursday night and he has been crying himself to sleep sometimes only 10 mins other times 20 minutes every night and waking up at 5 instead of 6 and naps have been a nightmare, he cries for 30 minutes and only calms down/falls asleep if I go pick him up. He was such a peaceful sleeper before and I'm wondering if anyone else has gone through this and can hopefully reassure me that he will go back to being a good sleeper. He used to go in his crib at bedtime wide awake, wave goodnight to us, and fall asleep on his own quietly.....

Re: Waning from binky

• I am anxious to see answers as DD is still very attached to her paci.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers imageimage
  • We weaned DS cold turkey.  For the first two days it was very difficult and we had to constantly redirect him during the day and distract him from wanting the pacifier.  We also let him cry it out for naps and at night, but we did wait until we knew he was very tired before putting him in bed, which helped him fall asleep faster.  After three days he forgot about it and it was back to normal behavior without the pacifier.
  • Loading the player...
  • i'm curious to see how we're going to do with it...DS only gets the soother in his crib and sometimes in the car if it's pushing nap/bedtime and lets be honest...you can't drive when they're screaming and you know a plug will help! eeek! judge away.

DS has been waking up crying at 1030 or 530 am and is just sitting there  with his eyes basically closed when i go in and his soother is sitting right in front of him, so i give it to him and he falls over and back to sleep before i leave the room! 

we'll see....i'm going to start (tomorrow...ha) not giving a bottle at nap time and start a sippy of milk with lunch so one step at a time!

all i know is that i want to have him done with it before DS2 comes 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DD also only had her paci at naps and bedtime.  We were able to get her off of them at 15 months, but we did it slowly.  We took it away for bedtime, but let her keep it for her naps for the first couple of weeks. We also gave her a few very safe plush animals to sleep with (no beans, no button eyes).  We would give her the animals to cuddle, cover her up and walk out.  Once she got used to having the animals as her security, she didn't care about the paci anymore.  When we finally took it away at naps, she didn't mind because she had her animals.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"