Health & Exercise

Any advice for running through 1st Tri Morning Sickness?

I'm just over 7 weeks pregnant and I've run regularly for several years. Up until 6 weeks I was able to keep my mileage, intensity, pace and then morning sickness hit. I have a 10 Mile race on October 7th. I would like to keep training and when I do run, I feel fine. I have a 9 miler scheduled for tomorrow and my worry is that my food consumption has been so horrible. I am not consuming many calories, especially protein and I'm struggling to stay hydrated. I am concerned it will impact my run...

Any advice? Anyone manage to run thru morning sickness? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Any advice for running through 1st Tri Morning Sickness?

• When I've been running pregnant I always have a water bottle on me. I used to only carry water on 12+ mile runs, but now I'm thirsty no matter how far I go! So stay hydrated!

For me, it helped if I ran in the AM before work. Otherwise I was exhausted and sick feeling with zero motivation to run after work. BUT after hitting 10 weeks, the nausea has gone away and some energy has come back! Just do what you can through this hard stretch and I hope you feel better soon!

I'm running a 10k just for the heck of it tomorrow and am going to run by feel instead of by pace. Don't be too hard on yourself time/pace-wise, though it's hard :) I know my competitive side is going to kick in... :s Enjoy your run and make sure to put baby's health 1st priority!

Children are a heritage from the LORD, offspring a reward from Him. Psalm 127:3 And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." Romans 8:28 BabyFruit Ticker Visit The Nest! imageimage
  • During the first trimester my running has always been dependent on how I feel....if I feel lousy I don't run and instead try to at least walk or get on the elliptical. On the days that I feel great as PP mentioned I set my runs based on how I feel as opposed to a mileage or pace goal. By second trimester with both of pregnancies I was back in my old running routine almost everyday however the further in second trimester I got my pace increased and my mileage increased. Third trimester was like my first....I did what I felt like. I went to the gym the night before both of my LOs arrived. With DS I rode the bike and did the elliptical and with DD I did a mile.

Trust your body!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks for the advice ladies!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Agreed with pp, I did better running first thing in the morning.  I usually had just a little something to eat, nothing too wild and crazy, maybe a handful of cereal  The added bonus was that after running or working out I always felt much better the rest of the day. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Listen to your body.  Rest.  You can always go back to running in 2nd tri
  • I second carrying water (no matter what the temp is, but especially if it's warm), it's so important to stay hydrated! I stopped wearing my Garmin about week 10 or so... My pace was so ugly and I just was berating myself about how slow I was running. So I stopped keeping track of that and just kept track of mileage. I also second running in the morning. I don't even think about it, I just go... Currently, I'm running about 1:30-2 minutes slower than I was before my pregnancy. And I am ok with that (although it's taken a while). I'm running these days for the love of the sport which is enough for me these days :)
    BFP 9/27/11, EDD 6/3/12, Missed MC 9w3d BFP 1/1/12 EDD 9/7/12 Natural MC 6w3d BFP 5/8/12, EDD 1/15/13 IT'S A GIRL :)Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageLeahEn:
    I second carrying water (no matter what the temp is, but especially if it's warm), it's so important to stay hydrated! I stopped wearing my Garmin about week 10 or so... My pace was so ugly and I just was berating myself about how slow I was running. So I stopped keeping track of that and just kept track of mileage. I also second running in the morning. I don't even think about it, I just go... Currently, I'm running about 1:30-2 minutes slower than I was before my pregnancy. And I am ok with that (although it's taken a while). I'm running these days for the love of the sport which is enough for me these days :)

This! I stopped wearing my Garmin, too. Otherwise I was stressing about pace constantly. Just enjoy the run!

Children are a heritage from the LORD, offspring a reward from Him. Psalm 127:3 And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." Romans 8:28 BabyFruit Ticker Visit The Nest! imageimage
  • I am in my first tri too, and I had to change my running schedule quite a bit already.  The best recommendation that I have is to listen to your body.  If you feel awful, do something else.  Also, do not be upset if you slow down.  My average pace is currently a little more than a minute longer than it used to be, and I would imagine that will only get worse as the pregnancy proceeds. 

I have found that I feel better the day after my runs, though.  So, I ran 5K on Wednesday, felt great Thursday.  Ran 5K Thursday, felt great Friday.  Took a rest day Friday, and felt awful today.  Ran 5 miles today, so tomorrow should be nice.  

At least, I hope.  

BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"