Health & Exercise

Running while pg- workout gear recs?

Hey girls...barely pregnant with LO#2. I started running a few months ago and am training for a 5 mi run on Thanksgiving. Right now I'm fine with my normal workout gear, but any recommendations for what I will need in a few months? Support bands, etc?

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersimage

Re: Running while pg- workout gear recs?

• A good supportive bra comes to mind.

• I love Moving Comfort's Fiona bra-- great motion control, really comfortable, and fits larger sizes really well.

I'd get re-fitted for running shoes sometime in your second trimester once your bump starts protruding and changing your mechanics and stride.  Go to a running store and have them watch you run and walk on a treadmill or outside and then get a shoe that matches your needs.  Waiting till then should also give you time to see if your feet are going to spread/swell.  You may need a larger size.

I haven't needed a support band, and I'm still running 6 miles/day and I'm seven months pregnant.  

• Loading the player...
  • Awesome. Thanks, ladies. I will be ready for new shoes around second tri anyway; mine are nearing the end of their life expectancy.

@tasia, are you wearing compression shorts/pants? I saw that ON makes maternity compression pants and didn't know if that was necessary. I only run 3-5 miles at a time, if that makes a difference.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersimage
  • Around 24 weeks I started need a support belt. It's different for everyone. I started having more pelvic issues around then, so you might need one. Just wait and see how you feel- if you do, I recommend the brand Gabriella. You can get it from Amazon for around $20.

As for clothes, you should be fine with what you are already wearing if your pants have elastic waists. I already wore compression pants/capris and they still work just fine.

shirts are another story. The past few weeks I only have about 3 tops that fit over my belly. I did buy one Old Navy maternity running top and I have two Lululemon ones that are longer and looser that are working well.

I would caution you on buying new running shoes... my feet have grown with each pregnancy. I was a 7-7.5 before my first, grew to an 8.5, and now, I'm mostly definitely a size 9. I've heard this is fairly common. And your feet don't shrink back. So if you can find a good deal, awesome, but I wouldn't spend too much before you know what your body is going to do.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageburkems:

Awesome. Thanks, ladies. I will be ready for new shoes around second tri anyway; mine are nearing the end of their life expectancy.

@tasia, are you wearing compression shorts/pants? I saw that ON makes maternity compression pants and didn't know if that was necessary. I only run 3-5 miles at a time, if that makes a difference.

In general I am not wearing compression pants, though I have a pair of compression capris, and let me tell you, THEY ARE HORRIBLE on my bladder.  Bump does just fine uncovered and alone... probably because my core was/is very strong, and my abdominals are still holding it in place.  I feel like my boobs move way more than my bump.

• imagemelodramatic26:

Around 24 weeks I started need a support belt. It's different for everyone. I started having more pelvic issues around then, so you might need one. Just wait and see how you feel- if you do, I recommend the brand Gabriella. You can get it from Amazon for around $20.

As for clothes, you should be fine with what you are already wearing if your pants have elastic waists. I already wore compression pants/capris and they still work just fine.

shirts are another story. The past few weeks I only have about 3 tops that fit over my belly. I did buy one Old Navy maternity running top and I have two Lululemon ones that are longer and looser that are working well.

I would caution you on buying new running shoes... my feet have grown with each pregnancy. I was a 7-7.5 before my first, grew to an 8.5, and now, I'm mostly definitely a size 9. I've heard this is fairly common. And your feet don't shrink back. So if you can find a good deal, awesome, but I wouldn't spend too much before you know what your body is going to do.

This is all great advice - especially the part about it being different for everyone.  I didn't need to buy a single stich of new workout gear when I was pregnant, no support belt, no shoes, no pants.  I did, however, start registering for "large" t-shirts when I raced because my mediums ended up being too short at the end. 

This is 38 weeks, I had him a little over a week later:

June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I never needed any supportive belts or anything.  I ran up until I was 35 weeks and then I got cramping that just made it uncomfortable to run, so I started walking. 

I just continued to wear my running shorts and capris, I just wore them under my belly.  I found maternity fitness clothing to be pricey, so I just bought workout tanks at TJMaxx a size up and looked for long length ones that would cover my belly (mainly Nike ones). 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• i ran up to the day before i had DS. i did buy a size larger in workout pants from old navy (non-maternity) and also a larger shirt. i got buy on bare minimums and did just fine. 
    Baby Charchie born 12/22/2011
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"