Eco-Friendly Family
Options

Pregnant, itchy scalp, and dandruff, anyone have a remedy?

Hi ladies, I'm fairly new to the Bump, and I've phased out most chemicals in our home for about a year now.  I normally use Castille Soap for body wash and shampoo, and I use macadamia oil for styling, but since I got pregnant, I've been dealing with itchy scalp and dandruff.  Do any of you know of a good home remedy?  It's getting to the point where I don't want to wear anything dark colored.  Thank you!
Me: unexplained infertility - annovulatory DH: testicular cancer survivor!! TTC since June 2009 BFP May 11, 2012 EDD January 24, 2013 June 1, 2012 - first u/s, heartbeat 124 BPM!! June 22, 2012 - heard the heartbeat 9w1d 181 BPM!! 24 hours of labor, 4 1/2 hours of pushing, and IT'S A BOY! Welcome to the world my miracle, we prayed and prayed for you, and we can't believe you're here!

Re: Pregnant, itchy scalp, and dandruff, anyone have a remedy?

• Options
    you may need to change the castille soap,for olivo oil,you can use it for both hair and body,also change the macadamia oil for olivo oil with jojoba and some tea tree oil to help with the itchy and dandruff,just put a few drops of the tto to the mix of ovo and jjo.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    This may sound counterintuitive, but try shampooing your hair less. It will take a week or two to adjust the oil production, but my scalp is totally cured from the flakes and itchiness. I wash my hair twice a week now, as opposed to every day.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageGrk_Natasha:
    This may sound counterintuitive, but try shampooing your hair less. It will take a week or two to adjust the oil production, but my scalp is totally cured from the flakes and itchiness. I wash my hair twice a week now, as opposed to every day.

I have to agree with this. During this pregnancy my scalp and hair have been in their best form when I wash my hair maybe once every week/week and a half. I use a KissMyFace shampoo when I do shampoo it and then I use a Giovanni leave in conditioner afterwards. I air dry and then use styling products as usual.

I had the opposite problem of having greasy grimy hair when I was washing more often. When I cut back on the washing, my hair is now barely oily feeling when I wash. So weird, but it's working great. Definitely try experimenting with your washing frequency. I'm beginning to see that less is more for me when it comes to haircare right now.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Thank you ladies.  I only wash My hair about twice a week anyway, but I'll try cutting back to once. 

Me: unexplained infertility - annovulatory DH: testicular cancer survivor!! TTC since June 2009 BFP May 11, 2012 EDD January 24, 2013 June 1, 2012 - first u/s, heartbeat 124 BPM!! June 22, 2012 - heard the heartbeat 9w1d 181 BPM!! 24 hours of labor, 4 1/2 hours of pushing, and IT'S A BOY! Welcome to the world my miracle, we prayed and prayed for you, and we can't believe you're here!
  • Options

I get a scaly, itchy build up if I don't wash daily. 

I use Grandpa's Pine Tar bar soap on my scalp and it works really, really well.  Oh, and it's inexpensive.  You can buy online or at health food stores.

The word you're looking for is SEX.  I promise.  No, it's not gender.  It's sex.  You're welcome.
  • Options
    You can try warming up some coconut oil and massaging it into your scalp as a treatment.
    sam & arlo 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"