Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

Baby over 95% in height. Is this ok?

My 6 month old just checked in at 29 inches in his checkup.  That's greater than the 95th percentile for height.  (He's 19 pounds, which is 75th percentile for weight.)  Has anyone heard of this?  I'm waiting for the doctor to call me back to explain the results.  By the way, I'm only 5'2" and my husband is 5'10" so it's not like we're giants!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Baby over 95% in height. Is this ok?

• Options

All it means is that he's taller than 95% of babies his age. There's nothing wrong with him, he's just tall! Also my doctor says that height measurements up until they are about 3 or 4 years old means nothing and does not in any way indicate how tall they will become as an adult. 

FTR, my baby is sort of the opposite of yours. He's in the 90%ile for weight and 75%ile for height. All babies grow at different rates and the tracking is really just to see that your baby is growing at a healthy rate.  

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    No reason to worry. At 6 months, my little one was 28 inches and 19 lbs. & 13 oz. His father is 5'9" and I'm not even 5'2".
    Ashley
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageHilarityEnsued:

Honestly this isn't even something outrageous.  What part are you wanting the doctor to explain? 

Babies will grow at drastically different rates.  The percentile numbers themselves don't mean much.  Doctors are usually looking to see that they stay on the same track.

This. What explanation are you expecting from your doctor?? The only one I can think of is, "Your baby is tall." 

My son was in the 95th percentile in height for a while (I think he's 80th now.) My husband and I aren't particularly tall. It's really not a big deal, and I'm not sure why you'd think it was cause for concern. People say, "He's long for his age," and I say, "Yes he is!" End of conversation. 

• Options
    imageHilarityEnsued:

Honestly this isn't even something outrageous.  What part are you wanting the doctor to explain? 

Babies will grow at drastically different rates.  The percentile numbers themselves don't mean much.  Doctors are usually looking to see that they stay on the same track.

This. As long as he isn't off the charts in either direction, there isn't any need for concern.

• Options
    Thanks everyone!  I guess I was concerned because Gerber.com has an interactive growth chart and when I plugged in Alex's stats, the program spit back that I should check with my doctor that everything's normal since the baby is in the 97th percentile for height. 

• Options

imageilanat:
    Thanks everyone!  I guess I was concerned because Gerber.com has an interactive growth chart and when I plugged in Alex's stats, the program spit back that I should check with my doctor that everything's normal since the baby is in the 97th percentile for height. 

I don't mean for this to be at all rude, but... this is exactly why it's not always a great idea to get your medical information online. :) Your doctor will tell you if you have cause for concern, and he's in a better place to know that than some online calculator. My husband's an ER doctor, and anytime I look something up about our son (consistency of his poop, fussiness, etc), he says "Don't do that! It's only going to make you worry for no reason." If there's something legitimately wrong with your child, then by all means, educate yourself about it. But if you have an otherwise healthy child, a lot of the information you find online makes it really easy to start to worry about problems that aren't there. 

• Options
    Lucia has been above 95th percentile for height and around 25th for weight at all appointments. Her father and I are both short and come from short families so we assume she'll stop growing at some point!
    BabyFruit Ticker

BFP 3.8.16  EDD 11.20.16

• Options
    You're totally right!  And my dad, who is also an ER doctor and internist, tells me the same thing all the time, so I should know better.

• Options
    They don't always grow proportionately, so he might have got all his length out of the way early!
  • Options

This is a kinda oddball question.  You really are confused about this? 

Well, I've heard of this many times over.  Each kid is different and grows at different rates and all that jazz.  My daughter has been over the 97% for height since birth while her weight is usually around 60-75%.  My son is currently only 40% for height while he's 85% for weight.  He is a stocky boy so it makes perfect sense.  Doc said my daughter is simply getting height quickly up front and will be about 5'7" in all likelihood. 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options
    Babies grow at different rates which is why my dr does t even give percentile. He may grow more now and less later means nothing
    Kingsley Kennedy Wolff born March 16, 2012!!!
  • Options

That's sort of funny honestly.

My son was 28 1/4" - 95th and 18lbs 11oz - 75%.  The Dr. wasn't concerned at all, in fact she thought it was great.  As long as they are following the growth curve with no sudden drops, then there is nothing to worry about.

• Options

You just have a tall baby!  I wouldn't worry.  Babies grow at different rates.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My baby is also above the 95th percentile in height. It's nothing to worry about. Babies grow at different rates, so while he may be tall now, he may check in at a lower percentile at your next appointment. It doesn't mean your baby is going to be a giant, it just means that he/she is currently taller than the average... but does not mean that they will remain that way.
  • Options

Pffffff...DS is in the 98th percentile.  We must have a freak!  

Totally normal, his height may slow down later and his weight catch up.  Ours will not, he's destined to be a giant (5'9" for me and 6'7" for DH).  He is only 50th percentile for weight, which surprises me.  But I have a small frame and DH has a thick frame so I guess he just averaged between the two of us! 

Anniversary

• Options

My 6 month old is off the charts for height and weight. So yeah it's totally heard of. Some babies are just big.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I wonder what Gerber.com would suggest doing since your baby is exceptionally tall.  I can't believe they have a warning pop up because your baby is too tall - what do they want you to do?  Put your baby in a small box and hope they don't grow anymore?
  • Options

I've read some super ridiculous post on TB before, but this one takes the cake. Wow. Just. WOW.

98%ile for height here (29" and I actually think he was closer to 30" thankyouverymuch) and 80%ile for weight. My baby is fine. Gerber website is stoooopid. Stop getting your information from the interturds. Or are you one of those "if it's on the internets it must be true" kind of people? Ugh.

• Options
    imageHilarityEnsued:
    imageLillyGrrl:

I've read some super ridiculous post on TB before, but this one takes the cake. Wow. Just. WOW.

Not even close.  Your join date says 2004!!! I've only been on the bump for a year or so and this doesn't even come close to taking any Ridiculous Cake.

Um. Yeah. Apparently you never spent any time over on TTGP, Lilly. Read a few, "My right foot itches and my period is 3 seconds late, am I pregnant???" posts, and you'll realize this is nowhere near the most ridiculous thing TB has to offer.

• Options

imageJen0204:
    I wonder what Gerber.com would suggest doing since your baby is exceptionally tall.  I can't believe they have a warning pop up because your baby is too tall - what do they want you to do?  Put your baby in a small box and hope they don't grow anymore?

Lol! My guess is that they do it to avoid a lawsuit. In case one in every 10,000 "tall" babies is actually too tall because they have a rare pituitary gland problem or something, Gerber probably has to say that so no one can come back and say, "Gerber told me my baby was perfectly healthy!"

• Options

No, you are correct I did not spend a lot time on TTGP (some, not a lot).

Still I feel like this is a pretty ridiculous post.

• Options
    My first born son was in the 95 percentile in height for a long time, he is 20 now 5 foot 10. I was told the percentile tracking was done more to watch for drastic changes that could indicate a health problem. As in baby was 90 percentile first 6 months then is in the 20 th at 9 months.

But another thing is sometimes kids grow taller than both parents, my mom is 5 ft 4" dad 5 ft 9" my brother 6 foot. My mom has tall brothers though.
  • Options
    My DD is literally in the 100% percentile.....Dr said "you have a tall baby".
    BabyFruit Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    It's a percentile. SOMEBODY has to be in the 95% percentile, just like half of babies are going to be above 50% and half of babies are going to be below 50%. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"