VBAC

Anyone have a successful VBAC after full dilation with previous pregnancy?

When I read success stories I always want to know the reason for the previous csection. I haven't really seen many people who dilated fully and pushed but ended with a csection like me. DS was only 6lbs 9 oz, with a vacuum attempt, so sometimes I don't feel like the dilation/bigger baby issue applies to me and that's what is holding me back on choosing VBAC. He was OP though, so I'm hoping with a correctly positioned baby I will be ok, but one OB I discussed this with said that a suggestion she likes to follow is pushing out an OP baby is like pushing out a baby about 1lb bigger. That approximation still gives me a pretty average size. 

I'm just curious to see if anyone else has been in the fully dilated boat but still ended up with a csection. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Anyone have a successful VBAC after full dilation with previous pregnancy?

• I was induced the day before my due date, dilated to 10 and pushed for 2 hrs and lo never descended into the birth canal. My lo was 8lbs 9oz. It looked liked lo wasn't in the ideal position. The cone on his head wasn't where it should have been.

• I did!  With DD1, I dilated to 10, pushed for an hour and she never dropped.  Her heart rate would fall with every push.  She was OP and was not budging.  I was induced with her 5 days before my due date because my blood pressure was elevated.  No epidural, only nubane late into day 2 of induction.

With DD2, my VBAC baby I went into labor on my own  1 day before my due date.  Labored at home for 12 hours.  Went in and had her 5 hours later.  Pushed for an hour and a half.   She was also OP and 2 pounds heavier than her sister.  I pushed on my side for awhile and that helped her to get under the pubic bone.  I did have an epidural, but it only seemed to take about half the pain away and wore off once I was pushing.  I felt everything.

So it is do-able with an OP baby and a bigger baby at that.  Good Luck!

BFP #1 7/1/2009 ~ EDD 3/9/2010 ~ Ella Adeline (7lbs 4 oz, 19.5 inches) 3/5/2010 csection (39w3d)
    BFP #2 7/13/2011 ~ EDD 3/16/2012 ~Aubree Olivia (9lbs 1oz, 21 inches) 3/15/2012 VBAC (39w6d)
    BFP #3 5/15/2014 ~ EDD 1/16/2015~Addison Isabelle (9lbs, 0oz, 21 inches) 1/25/2015 2VBAC (41w2d)
    BFP #4 7/20/2016 ~ EDD 3/25/2017 ~ Malachi Mathew (10lbs 0oz, 22 inches) 4/4/2017 emergency csection (41w3d)

• Loading the player...
  • Me! I dilated all the way, pushed for two hours, then ended up with a c/s. My baby was OP like yours.  I had a fast and easy VBAC (well easy is relative--it was still giving birth!).  Baby #2 was OA and I definitely think that helped.  My babies were about the same size--#2 was two ounces larger.

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thanks, these are really helpful! Iris, if you don't mind me asking, how big were your babies? Now that I know can have success after full dilation, it just leaves me to wonder why the heck I couldn't push out/vacuum out such a little baby! 

• I did too - I pushed for 4+ hours with DS1 without much progress (he was also OP/lined up weird). I had a successful VBAC with DS2, who was also over 10.5 lbs - a full two pounds bigger than his brother. I think how your baby is lined up has more to do with vaginal birth that size, quite frankly.

Good luck!

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• My labor with DS was very "textbook" up until my c/s.  My water broke at home, contractions started immediately and progressed at a normal rate.  I was 10cm dilated and began pushing to no avail.  DS was OP and ultimately I think that was the reason for the c/s (even though the OB told me that my pelvis was just too small and that I'd never be able to deliver vaginally).  He weighed 8lb 3oz.

DD was positioned correctly.  My contractions and dilation didn't progress as well as with DS but once my water finally broke I was able to begin pushing and she was born vaginally 45 minutes later.  She was quite a bit smaller (6lb 11oz), but I really think the positioning was the ultimate factor!

• There are lots of us with similar stories. With DS1 I laboured naturally, pushed for three hours and got a c-section. He was 7 pounds. I had DS2 in an all-natural home vbac in two hours from first contraction to birth. He was 8 pounds.

DS1 was also OP. Having a baby OP is a HUGE deal for some women and can mean the difference between a natural birth and a c-section. I don't believe your doctor's "guideline" at all- babies who are one pound bigger don't have any more difficult births than slightly smaller babies. The baby's head would more or less be the same size in a 7 or an 8 pound baby (my 8 pound baby actually had a slightly smaller head than my 7 pound baby) so I don't see how that would be accurate or relevant at all.

ETA: after reading your follow-up post: please don't be concerned that you couldn't push out a small baby.I don't think your baby's weight has anything to do with it. Remember than when a baby gains weight the weight is generally in the torso area, not the head, and the head is the part you have to worry about pushing out.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageKristen050:
    Thanks, these are really helpful! Iris, if you don't mind me asking, how big were your babies? Now that I know can have success after full dilation, it just leaves me to wonder why the heck I couldn't push out/vacuum out such a little baby! 

C/s baby was 7lbs 10 oz.  VBAC baby was 7lbs 12 oz.

Sometimes OP babies just won't fit.  It's not necessarily because your pelvis is too small to deliver vaginally.  I think of it like those baby toys where you have to match the shape to the hole--if you take one of those shapes and turn it the wrong way, it won't fit, even though the hole is technically big enough.  

It also seems like FTMs are more prone to things getting stuck, because your body is new to the whole birth process and things have never stretched out like this before.  I felt like it was actually an advantage going into my VBAC that I had dilated all the way and pushed for a while, because that meant my body would have experience doing those parts the second time around.  And I did have a VBAC, so maybe there is some truth to that.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageiris427:

imageKristen050:
    Thanks, these are really helpful! Iris, if you don't mind me asking, how big were your babies? Now that I know can have success after full dilation, it just leaves me to wonder why the heck I couldn't push out/vacuum out such a little baby! 

C/s baby was 7lbs 10 oz.  VBAC baby was 7lbs 12 oz.

Sometimes OP babies just won't fit.  It's not necessarily because your pelvis is too small to deliver vaginally.  I think of it like those baby toys where you have to match the shape to the hole--if you take one of those shapes and turn it the wrong way, it won't fit, even though the hole is technically big enough.  

It also seems like FTMs are more prone to things getting stuck, because your body is new to the whole birth process and things have never stretched out like this before.  I felt like it was actually an advantage going into my VBAC that I had dilated all the way and pushed for a while, because that meant my body would have experience doing those parts the second time around.  And I did have a VBAC, so maybe there is some truth to that.

This is an awesome analogy!! I'm tempted to send it to the jerk OB who told me I'd never be able to deliver vaginally!!  

• Like many others, I was fully dilated, pushed for 2 hours and ended up with a c-section.  DD was 8 pounds.  I am hoping to have a VBAC when we have #2.  I think it was her positioning too because she just wouldn't come down.  Good luck!!!
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers imageimage
  • I am so thankful for this thread! I was about to post something similar!

With DS I was induced, labored for 28 hours, pushed for 2 more and with him facing the wrong way I just couldn't get him out so chose to go with the c-section. 

I have also been told by a couple doctors that my pelvis is an odd shape, birth canal is super tiny, and that they wouldn't recommend ever having a baby naturally. 

Even though I had a great experience with my CS, part of me wonders that if this baby is AP, I go into labor on my own, etc...basically all the stars align, if I could do a VBAC or if those doctors are right about my pelvis/birth canal.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    June 2010-April 2012: Lots of trying, chlomid, gonal-f, with triggers, without, IUI's and tons of BFNs
    May2012: Letrozole + IUI = BFP!!!! Due 2/10/13
  • imageluckymom3:

I am so thankful for this thread! I was about to post something similar!

With DS I was induced, labored for 28 hours, pushed for 2 more and with him facing the wrong way I just couldn't get him out so chose to go with the c-section. 

I have also been told by a couple doctors that my pelvis is an odd shape, birth canal is super tiny, and that they wouldn't recommend ever having a baby naturally. 

Even though I had a great experience with my CS, part of me wonders that if this baby is AP, I go into labor on my own, etc...basically all the stars align, if I could do a VBAC or if those doctors are right about my pelvis/birth canal.

Please know that soooo many doctors say this. It seems that half the women on this board were told something similar, and many went on to have uncomplicated vbacs. A friend of mine was diagnosed with CPD with her first and had two vbacs, with 10 and 11 pound babies. Most research shows that "super tiny" pelvises are virtually unheard of, and are generally caused by rickets, serious accidents, dwarfism, and the like. The baby's positioning matters so much more, and even the woman's pushing position (lying supine narrows the pelvis; kneeling or on hands-and-knees opens the pelvis. I delivered my vbac baby in a modified hands-and-knees position, but couldn't push out my first baby who was OP while I was forced into the standard hospital pushing position).

If having a vbac matters to you, please find a truly supportive care provider. So many women are bullied into rcs, or "bait and switched" by providers who initially seem supportive and then are scheduled into c-section at the last minute because they "just didn't go into labour" by 38 weeks or something.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageannabelle.27:
    imageluckymom3:

I am so thankful for this thread! I was about to post something similar!

Please know that soooo many doctors say this. It seems that half the women on this board were told something similar, and many went on to have uncomplicated vbacs. A friend of mine was diagnosed with CPD with her first and had two vbacs, with 10 and 11 pound babies. Most research shows that "super tiny" pelvises are virtually unheard of, and are generally caused by rickets, serious accidents, dwarfism, and the like. The baby's positioning matters so much more, and even the woman's pushing position (lying supine narrows the pelvis; kneeling or on hands-and-knees opens the pelvis. I delivered my vbac baby in a modified hands-and-knees position, but couldn't push out my first baby who was OP while I was forced into the standard hospital pushing position).

If having a vbac matters to you, please find a truly supportive care provider. So many women are bullied into rcs, or "bait and switched" by providers who initially seem supportive and then are scheduled into c-section at the last minute because they "just didn't go into labour" by 38 weeks or something.

Yes 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • With DD#1, my water broke at 37w.  Labor stalled, I started pit, then an epi, 5 hours after the pit and 1 hour after the epi I was pushing.  I pushed for 3.5 hours before agreeing to the non-emergency c/s.  Neither DD nor I were ever in danger, she just wasn't coming out.  She did weigh 8lb6oz.  Big, but not huge.  Her position just was not right.

My DD#2 was born via VBAC 2 years later.  She was in a different position - I could feel it the entire pregnancy - and I was able to have a med-free birth. She was slightly smaller 7lb12oz, but not that different in size.  I pushed for 30 minutes. 

During my second pregnancy, I did things to help make sure the baby was positioned better, and I labored differently, too.  I will do those things again this pregnancy.

"Little seahorse/Floating on a primal tide/Quickening like a/Spark in a haystack side/I already love you/And I don't even know who you are" -Bruce Cockburn BabyFetus TickerLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BOOKWORMS and BUTTERFLIES
  • imageCeefome:

During my second pregnancy, I did things to help make sure the baby was positioned better, and I labored differently, too.  I will do those things again this pregnancy.

What did you do? I had thought about yoga, I wish I had started earlier. I was thinking about  seeing a chiropractor as well. If you have insight on what you did that would be great!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"