February 2013 Moms
Options

No Paci?

Hi Ladies,

I was reading the birth plan posts and dictating to the hosp paci requests seemed important to some.  Do any of the STMs have paci advice?  Why should we go one way or the other?

Thanks!

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: No Paci?

• Options
    My kids never took pacis. I wouldn't let them have one before nursing was established and once I offered they were completely disinterested. I was glad because they seem like a PITA (always fall out, drop on the ground, etc).
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    It's best to wait until a good breastfeeding relationship has been established (if you're breastfeeding). I'm pro-paci if my child exhibits a high desire to suck when not hungry but only after the first month so I don't end up with latch issues like I had with my first.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Giving a new baby a pacifer can sometimes cause nipple confusion, which is a big deal when you are trying to establish breastfeeding and a good latch. Because of the risk for nipple confusion, many mothers prefer to not offer the baby a pacifer.

That being said, when DD was born I had no intention of giving her a pacifer in the hospital, but she was such an eager eater that I literally spent the ENTIRE time nursing and was desperate for a few hours of sleep. She was constantly rooting and fussing for something to suck on. I nursed her basically the whole time I was there but I when I finally tried to sleep for an hour I gave her the pacifer. I don't regret it and I am glad I was open to it. :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    The hospital never offered one to ds after I had him.  I really didn't want to use it because of how hard I knew it would be to get him to stop (which I'm in the process of trying to do now).  Anyway, I wound up using it because nothing else would literally pacify him and it would quiet him down, calm him, and help him sleep.  I kept several in the crib in case he lost or dropped one. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

BFP#1 - 11/27/09 EDD 8/5/10, DS1 arrived 7/24/10 via emergency c-section.

BFP#2 - 6/18/12 EDD 2/23/13, sweet baby girl born sleeping on 10/4/12 at 19 weeks, 3 days.

BFP #3 - 1/18/13 EDD 10/1/13, natural mc on 2/2/13 at 5 weeks, 4 days.

BFP #4 - 8/29/13 EDD 5/12/14, our sweet rainbow, DS2 born 4/29/14 via c-section

• Options
    2 of my 3 have used pacis, the third didn't use it because he preferred his thumb. He is 6 and for the life of us we can't get him to stop sucking his thumb.  DD had used a paci only for sleep until a few weeks ago when she suddenly became very attached to it, but like we did with DS, we will likely 'forget' to take it one weekend when we go visit the grandparents...it was a rough first day or two, but after that he never asked for it again.  I plan to use one again for this baby...it does make life a whole lot easier and I've not found a strong enough reason not to use one.
  • Options

My daughter came out sucking her fingers she absolutely would not take a paci.. that being said she is 7 and still sucks her fingers when shes tired.

It is a lot easier to take away a paci than to get them to stop sucking thumb/fingers...

My son on the other hand took a paci which he threw away on his 2nd birthday and was so much easier. It was also easier when it came to calming him after shots or crying fits for some reason popping a paci in his mouth always calmed him right down.

D14 December siggy Free for all

DD born 12/07/04  
    DS1 born 11/07/06
    Angel baby Addy 12/03/11 due to MTHFR
    DS2 born 01/29/13
    DS3 due 12/26/14                                                                                               
  • Options

I had a loose plan not to use one with DD because I thought it would be a good idea to use one until BFing was well established and then give it a try for sleeping.  Well, that plan flew out the window the second night!  We realized she just wanted to suck when the nurse came in to help us (desperate parents totally crazy eyed after hours of her on the boob nonstop) and popped her thumb in her mouth.  It calmed her instantly--DH went out to buy a paci from the hospital vending machine that night and we used it a LOT from then until about 6 months when she dropped the habit.

We never had any problems with BFing, nipple confusion, or supply even though she had a pacifier since day 2, formula from bottles while staying in the neonatal care unit for 3 days due to jaundice, and using a plastic nipple shield the first 5 weeks.  Our BFing relationship was smooth sailing up until a few weeks ago when my supply dried up and I had to switch to formula.

I'm not saying nipple confusion isn't real, but in my experience I'm glad I didn't listen to those who advise against using things like nipple shields and pacifiers because they both helped me stay sane and thus establish a very successful BFing relationship.

I think the key is not overusing them though--we did realize around 3 or 4 months that she had her pacifier in all day long pretty much and at that point I stopped giving it to her except for naps and bedtime.  It actually wasn't difficult to do, but maybe I just have a baby that adapts easily.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageMollusksWrangler:
    Pacifiers reduce the risk of SIDs, that's enough for me. They also can help when baby just wants to suck but doesn't need to eat. Cons? Having to get rid of it when they are attached to it later, replacing it when they drop it in the middle of the night. We only use it for sleeping though. And "nipple confusion" which we never had an issue with.

This.  And, we never had nipple confusion, either.  DD has only ever used it for naptime or bedtime and it stays in the crib.  She makes a production of throwing it back into her crib in the morning and after a nap.  It's starting to happen more frequently where she doesn't even fall asleep using it anymore.   

• Options
    imageambernjj:

My daughter came out sucking her fingers she absolutely would not take a paci.. that being said she is 7 and still sucks her fingers when shes tired.

It is a lot easier to take away a paci than to get them to stop sucking thumb/fingers...

My son on the other hand took a paci which he threw away on his 2nd birthday and was so much easier. It was also easier when it came to calming him after shots or crying fits for some reason popping a paci in his mouth always calmed him right down.

I am completely open to paci's b/c my daughter sucked her thumb. I wish I could keep it past tense but occasionally when really tired or when I see her asleep she will have it in her mouth again. She's 8. It's driving me insane. We've gotten that awful tasting nail polish, which she just whines about it making her food taste nasty(dh and I tried it on our fingers and she was right, you couldn't eat anything with your hands without tasting that gunk)...we still threaten it though and use it occasionally when I see her stealing a suck.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My birth plan dictated no pacifier.  Lots of things can reduce the risk of SIDS but if you are planning to breast feed, or at least attempt it, you should not introduce the pacifier until the baby is one month old.  It can interfere with the baby learning how to properly nurse.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageMollusksWrangler:
    Pacifiers reduce the risk of SIDs, that's enough for me. They also can help when baby just wants to suck but doesn't need to eat. Cons? Having to get rid of it when they are attached to it later, replacing it when they drop it in the middle of the night. We only use it for sleeping though. And "nipple confusion" which we never had an issue with.

This. We didn't have any nipple confusion either. DS was given one in the hospital when he was taken away because of jaundice. He stuck with it for about 3 months and one day just stopped taking it. We would only give it to him at night. I even tried to give it back when he was teething at 6 months but he wouldn't take it.

ega Pictures, Images and Photos support our troops Pictures, Images and Photosega Pictures, Images and Photos Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagesararn2004:
    imageambernjj:

I am completely open to paci's b/c my daughter sucked her thumb. I wish I could keep it past tense but occasionally when really tired or when I see her asleep she will have it in her mouth again. She's 8. It's driving me insane. We've gotten that awful tasting nail polish, which she just whines about it making her food taste nasty(dh and I tried it on our fingers and she was right, you couldn't eat anything with your hands without tasting that gunk)...we still threaten it though and use it occasionally when I see her stealing a suck.

Same here we have tried everything and she still sucks her fingers, and it seems like she is constantly catching colds. I know it is because she is putting her fingers in her mouth. ugh if you ever find out the magic trick to making her stop completely let me know lol

D14 December siggy Free for all

DD born 12/07/04  
    DS1 born 11/07/06
    Angel baby Addy 12/03/11 due to MTHFR
    DS2 born 01/29/13
    DS3 due 12/26/14                                                                                               
  • Options
    I am Pro Paci, we used it with our first and he was done with it by 15months. He mostly used it for sleeping.  This baby will be getting a paci as well. I prefer the NUK brand.
  • Options
    Thank you everyone!  I love having so many stm helpers!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

DS, like many babies, was a thumbsucker in the womb and although we tried him with a paci he just didnt take to it. He much prefered, and still prefers, his thumb.

We had no feeding problems with him - he latched fine once he learned how and he took to the bottle aswell. No confusion with either.

I would have been ok if he wld have taken the paci, but am glad he stuck with his thumb. He only sucks it when he?s tired and only then just before he drops off to sleep.

I have no issues with either.

• Options
    The paci was a life (and sanity) saver!
  • Options

I think you should play it by ear. I was always 100% against pacifiers. Then I had a baby. haha! She was using me as a pacifier, and I wasn't able to ever get anything done. Once we got BFing established, I broke down and tried a pacifier. We were both a lot happier then.

With DS, I bought a few in advance. I didn't use them in the hospital, but I did start offering them a few weeks later. He was picky, though. He only liked the old fashioned style latex Playtex pacifiers. 

In your plan, I would specify that they need to ask you before they offer one. You can always make the decision at that time. 

imageimageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

imo you should always start off by offering one. Don't force it on your kid if they don't take to it, but try it as soon as possible.

Reduces SIDS risks
    Strengthens sucking/latching muscles
    DOES NOT cause nipple confusion
    Helps break early thumb sucking habits if the baby has one
    Aids in self-soothing/reduces "comfort" (i.e. excess) feedings
    Helps with teething

There are very, very few downsides to using one, plenty of downsides to not offering one. After we brought home our first thumbsucker, we will NEVER delay introducing one again. Our choice to have a one-month delay helped promote development of a three-year thumb habit and one awful overbite. 

image  image

image image

*Spontaneous* OHSS diagnosed 08.06.2012
    Right ovary removed 09.04.2012 via vertical laparotomy
    Essure implant placed on remaining tube 06.13.2013; successful followup scan 09.30.2013

• Options
    I'm not a fan of Pacifiers. We didn't offer one to my daughter until after 2 months. By then she had no interest and the only reason we did offer was someone bought us a couple so we tried it out. I was concerned about her being established bfing before introducing if we were going to. Also I allowed myself to be the human paci and I think that may be why we had such an easy time of bfing (well after the first week or two where we were bubbling fools trying to figure it out). 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

imageNG2HD:
    My birth plan dictated no pacifier.  Lots of things can reduce the risk of SIDS but if you are planning to breast feed, or at least attempt it, you should not introduce the pacifier until the baby is one month old.  It can interfere with the baby learning how to properly nurse.

This is FALSE and outdated information. 

https://www.ohsu.edu/xd/about/news_events/news/2012/04-30-to-use-or-not-to-use-a-p.cfm 

image  image

image image

*Spontaneous* OHSS diagnosed 08.06.2012
    Right ovary removed 09.04.2012 via vertical laparotomy
    Essure implant placed on remaining tube 06.13.2013; successful followup scan 09.30.2013

• Options

My birth plan dictated no pacifiers. I didn't want to have issues establishing a breastfeeding relationship.  The same for bottles.

DS never did take a pacifier or a bottle, nor did we need one.  There were a few times I tried to offer, and tried different pacifiers, and there was never any interest. Unless this baby really shows a need for constant sucking, I won't be offering a pacifier.  

I think it's a very personal preference, but honestly, I liked the fact that I never had to worry about weaning.  If parents want to use a pacifier, that's fine, but it's not for us.

FWIW, there are lots of things that prevent SIDS, so a paci isn't your only option.

• Options
    My sister nor my cousin's babies never used them. I plan to try not to or limit its use.
    BFP #1 6/18/2012 // EDD 2/28/2013 // Birthdate 2/7/2013

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    It was also a life saver for me, other wise DS would have wanted to nurse the entire day because he loved to suck. He got one right away in the hospital and didn't have nipple confusion..... I plan to use one again. BUT now that DS is almost 2.5 he is not really ready to get rid of it.... though we have not really pushed it, and he only uses it for sleeping.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

The hospital gave DS one when he was circumsized and he's had it ever since.  I didn't know to tell them not to give him one!  We did have issues with low supply, but it was unrelated to pacifier use and we ended up bfing for 19 months, so it worked out.  We have an ultrasound picture of him sucking his thumb in utero and he came out with sucking blisters on his lips!  He sucked on his fingers and blankets and everything.  He definitely needed a pacifier.  Ever since, even if we take it away, he sucks his thumb instead.  I figure I can permanantly remove the paci one day, but his thumb is not removable! :)  He now just uses it at night and when he's really grumpy.  With this baby, we will try to hold off until breastfeeding is established, but I won't be upset if he/she ends up needing one sooner.  Some kids just need to suck for comfort all the time.  I would accept one if the hospital offers or buy a few just in case and you will be able to decide if you think your LO needs one or not.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Eh. I was worried about it so we waited a few weeks but DD never really got into it. She was a super awful sleeper though and sucked at self soothing so I might try it earlier this time in hopes of avoiding some sleep issues.
  • Options
    My baby will have the option.  My son stopped using his at 3 months and I will try to have this baby use one for a short period.
  • Options

imagebobcatsteph:
    The paci was a life (and sanity) saver!

My daughter never took one. I bought every type on the market hoping I would find one that she liked. I always thought it would be so much easier if she took one, and people who don't at least try are crazy. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options

DD did not know how to suck properly at first and to try and teach her my nursing teacher told me to give her one. She could not keep it in her mouth for more than 5 seconds at first but figured it over time with her paci and bottle but never figured out how to nurse.

Had they not told us she needed it to learn how to suck/nurse we probably wouldn't have given it to her at all. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imagepenguingrrl:
    My kids never took pacis. I wouldn't let them have one before nursing was established and once I offered they were completely disinterested. I was glad because they seem like a PITA (always fall out, drop on the ground, etc).

This was us. I was so paranoid about having a good BFing relationship that I banned pacis for a few weeks, then she didn't care about it. She either wanted a boob, or nothing at all. Some babies love them, and some don't. You'll have to see what works for you, but it's best to wait if you're BFing to get your latch right first.

imageimage imageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerLilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options

If you plan on breastfeeding please check out the info on Kellymom about pacifiers.

https://kellymom.com/ages/newborn/newborn-concerns/pacifier/

I refuse pacifier use as long as possible. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Screen Shot 2012-11-15 at 8.25.16 AM
  • Options
    imageRynleigh:

imageNG2HD:

This is FALSE and outdated information. 

https://www.ohsu.edu/xd/about/news_events/news/2012/04-30-to-use-or-not-to-use-a-p.cfm 

Sorry but a study in Oregon doesn't make it FALSE - I think it can be true for some children and not true for others.  As you can read in the article, the AAP still says what I stated above. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"