Eco-Friendly Family
Options

non stick bakeware

I think my ideas on nonstick cookware might be dated. I'm still following the old teflon scenario that it emits a toxic gas when heated and kills birds. But has it changed and is it okay now? I also use glass pots and pans because i'm worried about acids causing the metal to leach into the foods and glass storage containers because i'm worried about the chemicals in plastic...so I definitely err on the cautious side, but what does everyone else do? any studies/reports?

Thank you for suggestions/opinions.

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Re: non stick bakeware

• Options

As far as I know, teflon is still bad.

I use stainless steel pots and pans and cast iron skillets. I  use glass bakeware, as well as a pizza stone for pizza, biscuits, cookies, etc. The stainless steel and glass aren't nonstick though. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I use All Clad (without the non stick layer).
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have and have used the silicone bakeware which is not plastic... And supposed to not to toxic... But I was curious about this too. I haven't used it in a while as I prefer glass bakeware, pizza stone.

But haven't really looked up the facts. But the splat is awesome! And no need to use aluminum foil!

We use ss pots and just got a cast iron pan. :
  • Options

I recently switched to stainless steel cookware and I love it. I received some All Clad cookware as a wedding gift. It's expensive, but if you slowly collect it, it's totally worth the price. Foods heat more evenly and efficiently and they actually taste better. I now realize that my old aluminum pot was reacting with my homemade spaghetti sauce (changing flavor and giving me an unwanted dose of aluminum) and the scratches on my non-stick stuff was leaching chemicals into my food. Yuck! I was afraid the SS cookware would be a pain since it isn't non-stick, but it has turned out not to be an issue. You will learn how to cook with it as it's a bit different. When something doesn't wash off easily, I use a recommended powdered cleanser (which is supposedly not made with harsh chemicals) called Bar Keepers Friend. This stuff rocks and made the transition painless.

For a non-stick, non-toxic (and made in the USA) bakeware, I love this line:

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/search/results.html?words=williams-sonoma goldtouch? nonstick 6-piece essentials bakeware set

It bakes evenly and has a ceramic coating that will not get into your baked goods. It's super easy to clean as well. I also use some stoneware dishes for things like casseroles, etc. I'm with you on the glass storage for food, freezing, etc. Can you recommend any good and affordable kinds?

• Options
    imagemoonmythb:

I recently switched to stainless steel cookware and I love it. I received some All Clad cookware as a wedding gift. It's expensive, but if you slowly collect it, it's totally worth the price. Foods heat more evenly and efficiently and they actually taste better. I now realize that my old aluminum pot was reacting with my homemade spaghetti sauce (changing flavor and giving me an unwanted dose of aluminum) and the scratches on my non-stick stuff was leaching chemicals into my food. Yuck! I was afraid the SS cookware would be a pain since it isn't non-stick, but it has turned out not to be an issue. You will learn how to cook with it as it's a bit different. When something doesn't wash off easily, I use a recommended powdered cleanser (which is supposedly not made with harsh chemicals) called Bar Keepers Friend. This stuff rocks and made the transition painless.

For a non-stick, non-toxic (and made in the USA) bakeware, I love this line:

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/search/results.html?words=williams-sonoma goldtouch? nonstick 6-piece essentials bakeware set

It bakes evenly and has a ceramic coating that will not get into your baked goods. It's super easy to clean as well. I also use some stoneware dishes for things like casseroles, etc. I'm with you on the glass storage for food, freezing, etc. Can you recommend any good and affordable kinds?

Just an FYI for those that live near or visit Pittsburgh, twice a year All Clad has a huge factory sale in Canonsburg, PA.  It's the first weekend in June and December, think. Anyhow, the prices are fantastic!  My husband and I saved a lot of money over retail prices of All Clad.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"