Maryland Babies
Options

Opinions/Experiences?

Hey ladies -- I'm a FTM and starting to get a little nervous realizing how close I am to entering the third trimester. I'll be delivering at Anne Arundel Medical Center and I was just wondering if anyone here has taken classes there or delivered there? Did you find the classes to be helpful or not really? I feel like taking a birthing class would just make me MORE nervous, as weird as that may sound. Anyway, I'm just looking for some thoughts or experiences people had...I really appreciate it! :)
imageimage BabyFetus Ticker Our Pregnancy Journey! -- http://when2bcomeone.blogspot.com/

Re: Opinions/Experiences?

• Options

I delivered my DD at AAMC. However, I was a patient at Special Beginnings Birth Center for my entire pregnancy and started labor there. I ended up transferring to AAMC (with my midwife) when I had been in labor for 22 hours with no progress for 12 hrs and running on 3 hrs sleep. My MW and I decided I needed an epidural and some rest, so off we went!

I can't speak to the OBs there as my MW was still my care provider the entire time and I didn't take any classes there. I will say the hospital itself was very nice and I found most of the staff (I only dealt with an anesthesiologist, techs, nurses, and one pedi) to be very nice. I wasn't thrilled with everything, but a lot of that was due to the fact that I'd planned on delivering at the birth center, where things are very different.

Sorry if this isn't much help, but I figured I'd share what I know! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    No, definitely a help and I appreciate it! Any little bit of information and experience is helpful! :)
    imageimage BabyFetus Ticker Our Pregnancy Journey! -- http://when2bcomeone.blogspot.com/
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I delivered my DS at AAMC in April 2011 and will deliver DS #2 again in Feb 2013 there. We took the "One Wonderful Day" class there which is the full day 9-5 of the whole "birthing" experience. It was okay - it had some good information in it, but it was a long day and the videos didn't do much for me. But, they do recommend it if you are going to be delivering there. They give you a tour of the hospital which is helpful. I will suggest taking the Newborn Care class - both DH and I found that 4 hour class extremely helpful!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageKrisM86:

I delivered my DD at AAMC. However, I was a patient at Special Beginnings Birth Center for my entire pregnancy and started labor there. I ended up transferring to AAMC (with my midwife) when I had been in labor for 22 hours with no progress for 12 hrs and running on 3 hrs sleep. My MW and I decided I needed an epidural and some rest, so off we went!

I can't speak to the OBs there as my MW was still my care provider the entire time and I didn't take any classes there. I will say the hospital itself was very nice and I found most of the staff (I only dealt with an anesthesiologist, techs, nurses, and one pedi) to be very nice. I wasn't thrilled with everything, but a lot of that was due to the fact that I'd planned on delivering at the birth center, where things are very different.

KrisM86, I sent you a PM, I would love to have more information about Special Beginnings and your overall experience there!  

• Options

I delivered at AAMC  but was a patient of the Bay Area Midwifery Center. I was planning on giving birth there anyway because my insurance wouldn't pay for the birth center.

I had an AWESOME experience. The L&D and recovery nurses were wonderful AND my MW was in charge of every aspect of my L&D. At one point the NCIU Dr.'s wanted to be IN THE ROOM when I gave birth. I said No and my L& D nurse looked at my midwife for confirmation and she shook her head no.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I delivered DD there in May of 2011 and took the one day birthing class, 4 hour newborn care class and the breastfeeding class. All were very informative and I liked the tour you got with the birthing class. It was helpful to know where you needed to go, instead up just showing up at the hospital and wondering. I probably could have done without the newborn care class, since most things you learn just because instinct after the baby comes. But it was a really fun class and the teacher is a riot. Good Luck!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I delivered both my boys there. When I was pg with DS1 we took the childbirth class and found it really helpful and informative. Even DH admitted he learned a lot and he didn't think he needed to go. I probably had the same instructor as Nezwee, she was hilarious.

The L&D nurses there are truly wonderful, as are both the anesthesiologists I had. I really like their L&D department and would recommend it to anyone. You will spend the majority of time with your L&D nurse, since your doctor will only pop in here and there to check on you and then come in to catch the baby. So having great nurses is critical to a positive experience.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I had DS there, under the care of an OB.  And will have this LO there (hopefully a VBAC), but under the care of the MW's at Special Beginings.  We took the general childbirth class, I think we had 4 or 5 classes in the evenings.  It was a pretty good class, went over the basics, got a tour, and was good because it went through what AAMC typically does before, during and after birth.  There wasn't anything presented that would make you nervous, it would probably set you at ease getting to hear their standard proceedures and actually seeing the area you give birth and recover in.  I ended up with a c/s and overall had really great care, there was one nurse once I got to the PP rooms that was kind of a PITA, but she was older and I also had DS 2 days before Christmas and went home on Christmas day so I imagine that had a bit to do with it.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

you can also take a free tour of the hospital w/o taking any of the classes.  (It was the tour of the hospital that led me to change my mind about delivering there).

imagesconklin1982:
    imageKrisM86:

KrisM86, I sent you a PM, I would love to have more information about Special Beginnings and your overall experience there!  

I gave birth there too so feel free to pm me  as well.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thanks!  I sent you a PM!

• Options
    Thank you ladies so much for all your input! Feels so good to hear some real life experiences! 
  • Options
    imagesconklin1982:
    imageKrisM86:

I also gave birth at Special Beginnings- I'd be happy to answer any questions you have if you want to send me a PM too.

Visit The Nest! image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Another SB mom here. Feel free to PM me too if you haven't had enough ;-)
  • Options
    PMs sent thanks so much! 

• Options

I delivered at AAMC in 1/11. I took the Hypnobirthing class and it was so awesome. I ended up going pre-term and was only halfway through the classes, but they helped me so much. While I did end up getting the epidural, I credit my speedy recovery and almost no damage "down there" to the techniques. There is a lot of useful information and it really helps relax you. It is not at all like on tv, but just helps you get to a deeper level of relaxation. When we are ready for #2, I am going to take the class again. 

You also get a hospital tour in this class. And lots of yummy hospital ice (like at Sonic) to chomp on.  Sidenote, my tour was scheduled for the day after I gave birth and when I was in labor, I drove myself to the side of the hospital where the classes were...don't do that...they made me wait for an ambulance to get there to wheel me across the street and wouldn't let me walk.

I loved AAMC. The staff was excellent and, hopefully you wouldn't need it, but their NICU is top-notch. 

• Options
    imageDoIreallyWantToChangeMyName:

I delivered at AAMC in 1/11. I took the Hypnobirthing class and it was so awesome. I ended up going pre-term and was only halfway through the classes, but they helped me so much. While I did end up getting the epidural, I credit my speedy recovery and almost no damage "down there" to the techniques. There is a lot of useful information and it really helps relax you. It is not at all like on tv, but just helps you get to a deeper level of relaxation. When we are ready for #2, I am going to take the class again. 

You also get a hospital tour in this class. And lots of yummy hospital ice (like at Sonic) to chomp on.  Sidenote, my tour was scheduled for the day after I gave birth and when I was in labor, I drove myself to the side of the hospital where the classes were...don't do that...they made me wait for an ambulance to get there to wheel me across the street and wouldn't let me walk.

I loved AAMC. The staff was excellent and, hopefully you wouldn't need it, but their NICU is top-notch. 

Where did you take your hypobirthing class? At AAMC? Is it through the hospital or a lady?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I took it through the hospital. I just checked the schedule and it looks like they are offering it in September and November.
  • Options
    Hi all, I just found out I'm pregnant, and think I might be 9 weeks already, going in this week to Bay Area Midwifery next to AAMC for my first visit. I took a tour last winter and had a well woman visit in the spring, but didn't take the time to look at Special Beginnings. I'm concerned that Bay Area only has two rooms, and SB only has three - do you know of anyone that had to deliver at the hospital because the rooms (at either) were "occupied" :) ? Or any feedback in general comparing the two birthing centers?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"