VBAC
Options

VBAC WWYD?

At what point do you give up on trying for a VBAC?

We conceived our second child (this pregnancy) pretty much right after having DD which apparently didn't help my odds of having a VBAC. Fortunately, we found a great doctor that is willing to let me go for it but will not induce due to the risks. So now I am 41w4d and still no baby. We have check ups twice a week and our next one is Tuesday. The doc said next time we need to have a discussion about possibly scheduling a repeat c/s if this baby doesn't come on its own. I am not dilated or effaced (I know that doesn't necessarily mean anything), and I am not having any BH. My body just doesn't seem to want to give up this baby. I have tried all kinds of old wives tales and suggestions for bringing on labor and nothing has helped.

My husband has to leave to go out of town next Saturday. I really don't want to go into labor without him there. The hospital doesn't have a childcare service so I would have to fly in a relative to watch DD on short notice. My husband will not be back in town until I am past 43 weeks along. The doctor has already said as long as I keep passing the non stress tests and the fluid looks okay we can keep going but he isn't a fan of going past 43 weeks.

If we don't wait it out, we would have to have the c/s next Friday so I would be in my 42nd week. If we wait it out and no labor happens, we would have to have the c/s in the 43rd week hopefully after DH returns.

I know DH and I need to make this decision together and we have already discussed it at length and I am a wreck. I am just wondering what some of you ladies think.

Both options come with their own risks. At what point am I being selfish if I keep the baby in there with a no longer ideal placenta, less room to move, and an increasing amount of fecal matter? I feel like I am being selfish to consider forcibly removing my child from myself too and have to go through surgery. Am I hormonal much? Maybe

Anyway TIA for your thoughts

Re: VBAC WWYD?

• Options
    If I understand correctly, you could schedule a RCS for next Friday you'd be 42w3d? but your husband would leave town the next day?

If that's the case I think you need to fly someone out to help you regardless.

Personally I would not want to go past 42w. And with a low bishop score, I'd probably just schedule the RCS. I mean, if you are not at all dilated then castor oil, foley bulb, nip stimulation, etc is unlikely to work anyway.

His sure are you on your EDD?
  • Options

I think that if the doctor felt your placenta was no longer ideal and there was fecal matter in there, he'd suggest a c/s. 

I am very pro-VBAC.  If I was over 42 weeks and none of the labor inducing techniques were working, I'd probably go for the c/s.  Really, you could go into labor before next week anyway and it's not an issue. 

I am surprised that there is a doctor out there that allows any woman go past 42 weeks these days.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageMAprincess:

I think that if the doctor felt your placenta was no longer ideal and there was fecal matter in there, he'd suggest a c/s. 

I am very pro-VBAC.  If I was over 42 weeks and none of the labor inducing techniques were working, I'd probably go for the c/s.  Really, you could go into labor before next week anyway and it's not an issue. 

I am surprised that there is a doctor out there that allows any woman go past 42 weeks these days.

All of this.  If induction is not an option for you, that is... 

~Sweet Girl *8/18/08* c-section ~ Sweet Boy *12/2/10* VBAC ~ Sweet Boy *8/14/12* VBAC~ 

VBAC Birth Story    2VBAC Birth Story  

• Options
    Are most docs against cervadil and pit induction? Mine seems to be, but we have not discussed it fully. She seemed to say its go naturally she would have stripped membranes, but I was not dilated on my due date or RCS.

I'd not go past 42, personally... But then again, I'm not there yet myself!! Good luck!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Thank you for your thoughts ladies.

I know we have our due date correct because we were trying to conceive so I was tracking my ovulation and our sex nights. My body just seems to want to hold on to the baby.

I am going to ask him about stripping my membranes and whatnot and see what he says. Your comments have definitely made me feel better about scheduling a RCS next week if the baby doesn't come by Tuesday or other options are not an option.

Smile 

• Options
    I personally would want the baby born, regardless of how, while DH was still there.  My DH missed DD's birth (g/a csection) and my biggest fear is that happening again. 
  • Options
    My VBAC baby didn't cme until 41wks 6days and I would have had to do a c/s the next morning if she didn't come on her own because my MW didn't do inductions or go past 42 weeks for VBACs. If all was well and nothing on NSTs, I would go a few days past 42 but not sure I would go all the way to 43 weeks. GL mama and I hope baby comes before you need a RCS :)

BabyFruit Ticker image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"