Parenting

At what temp do you put your kid in pants..?

As we enter into more mild temps, I find myself wondering when to send DD to school in shorts and when to send her in pants. We have a lot of days where it's mid 50s to mid 60s in the AM, but mid 80s to low 90s in the afternoon. So, when DD goes outside in the AM, she'd be cool in pants, but hot when they go out in the afternoon. So, what's your deciding factor or temp when deciding on pants or shorts?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: At what temp do you put your kid in pants..?

• I go by what the day temp is going to be... so if it's going to be in the 90s she's in shorts.

Just send her with a light zip up for morning and she'll be fine.  Kids where I live take their coats off when it's like 35 degrees out.  I don't think kids ever get cold, lol.

• I'm still sending him in shorts at those temps. He's only outside for a few minutes going to daycare and by the time they do their morning outside time, it's warmed way up.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Loading the player...
  • Where I live it's like all the time pants weather. We get maybe 3 months of decent weather where shorts, skirts, and dresses are needed. So, as of right now I'm breaking out the new jeans and leggings.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • when it's like that I'll put some leggings on underneath her shorts so when it heats up I can just whip off the leggings and she's good to go...but it's been hot hot hot here this week...ugh...where is fall?!???
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageNana_Osaki06:
    Where I live it's like all the time pants weather. We get maybe 3 months of decent weather where shorts, skirts, and dresses are needed. So, as of right now I'm breaking out the new jeans and leggings.

Where we live it ends up being opposite. Shorts, skirts and dresses can be worn from mid March to late October/early November. We even have a few random days in DecFeb that you could potentially wear shorts in the afternoon. However, most people around here like to pretend its not 80 degrees in December and where long sleeves and pants anyway, lol!
  • imageAbinormal:
    imageNana_Osaki06:
    Where I live it's like all the time pants weather. We get maybe 3 months of decent weather where shorts, skirts, and dresses are needed. So, as of right now I'm breaking out the new jeans and leggings.
    Where we live it ends up being opposite. Shorts, skirts and dresses can be worn from mid March to late October/early November. We even have a few random days in DecFeb that you could potentially wear shorts in the afternoon. However, most people around here like to pretend its not 80 degrees in December and where long sleeves and pants anyway, lol!

Well, we still wear flip flops when it's 45 degrees outside and raining. We like having dirty feet apparently.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My kids love wearing pants so it's pants 24/7 here unless the temp is above 90.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers image Mom to 4, pregnant with 2
  • imageNana_Osaki06:

imageAbinormal:
    imageNana_Osaki06:

Well, we still wear flip flops when it's 45 degrees outside and raining. We like having dirty feet apparently.

I pph flip flops, and I do the same. It was November before I caved. It was in the teens. As for the kids and shorts, mine are hold outs around 60, sometimes lower. They don't mind it. 

• 60s

I also buy short sleeved shirts for winter time because some years you never use long sleeved ones. We just use layers.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagegimmietimmies:
    imageNana_Osaki06:

imageAbinormal:
    imageNana_Osaki06:

I pph flip flops, and I do the same. It was November before I caved. It was in the teens. As for the kids and shorts, mine are hold outs around 60, sometimes lower. They don't mind it. 

DH and I actually had a convo about this before. The female wardrobe around here is  light hoodie, shorts, and flip flops for late spring/summer, fall, early winter, and early spring is hoodie or North Face zip up, jeans, and fli flops, winter is the same as the previous only with Uggs.

• imageLovesMM:
    60sI also buy short sleeved shirts for winter time because some years you never use long sleeved ones. We just use layers.

I think I just keep pretending that it actually gets cold where live... DD ends up wearing her long sleeves
  • imageNana_Osaki06:
    imagegimmietimmies:
    imageNana_Osaki06:

imageAbinormal:
    imageNana_Osaki06:

DH and I actually had a convo about this before. The female wardrobe around here is  light hoodie, shorts, and flip flops for late spring/summer, fall, early winter, and early spring is hoodie or North Face zip up, jeans, and fli flops, winter is the same as the previous only with Uggs.

Ugh, same. Just that the effing hoodies in my neighborhood are freaking Lululemon. I'm cheap, I'm not spending $130 on a hoodie.
  • I'd say shorts are ok there, because you know it will be warmer.

T gets pants if it will be under 70 for the day 

The Mob Boss 
    Birth: 10lbs 11oz, 21.5 inches <> 1 mo: 14lbs 7oz, 23.5 inches
    2mo: 18lbs 15oz, 25.5 inches <> 4mo: 26lbs 8oz, 27.5 inches6mo: 29lbs 8oz, 30 inches <> 9mo: 32lbs, 32 inches12 mo: 37lbs, 34.5 inches <> 15 mo: 38lbs 6 oz, 36 inches. 20.5 inch noggin18 mo: 43lbs, 37.75 inches 21 inch head2yr: 47 lbs, 42 inches. 21.5 inch head. Woah.  

imageimage
  • Pants when the high is in the 60s/low 70s. In your case I would send her in shorts with socks/shoes and a jacket for the am.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I dress by what it will be noon and later.  Generally anything in the 60's and below is no longer shorts weather, especially since she can't really express well when she is cold/hot yet.
  • If it's going to be over 75, I put him in shorts. However, he only goes to DC in the afternoon so I sometimes dress him in pants for the cooler morning and then switch to shorts before he goes to DC.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My kids will usually be ok in shorts above 65 (though, it has to be sunny and calm for them to be ok when its between 65 and 70). Usually we do capris in the upper 60s. Pants is anything below 60. We go by what the temp will be for the day, and just layer if its chilly in the morning.
    Annelise 3.22.2007 Norah 10.24.2009 Amelia 8.7.2011
  • I never send my kid to school in shorts - even if it's 90+ degrees.  The time outside vs. inside is so much smaller - I'd rather he maybe be a little warm during recess than to be freezing in the a/c all day during class.  He's never complained about being too hot and none of his pants-only classmates have either.
  • Pants in the am. Shorts after school.
  • I am still putting LO in shorts.  Once the highs are between 65-70 for the day, I will switch him to pants.
  • I also send by what the forecast for the day is. Anything above 80 is definitely shorts or a dress. 70 - 80 could go either way or capris. Less than 70 and I'll put her in pants. If it's cool in the morning, but calling to be warm later, I'll put a hoodie or sweater on her for the commute to dc. I also have a little blanket in the car if her legs seem chilly.
  • If the day in supposed to wind up in the 70s or higher, we do shorts. If it's supposed to lower, we do pants. 

This is my siggy. Love it.

• Probably when the day time highs are in the low 60s.  The kids;' school is always hot.
    Cheryl, Evan 4.25.05, Paige 7.2.07
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"