Postpartum Depression
Options

I think I have PPD. New

So, I don't really know where to start, but after reading some posts on here I think I finally have an answer to the things I've been feeling lately. I never really thought it was PPD because my symptoms didn't really start until my second child was 9 months old.

I felt sad all the time and never had an explanation why, I had some anxiety attacks, started performing poorly at work and was losing concentration doing simple tasks, I felt like I was always tired and couldn't get enough sleep and I felt like I just couldn't handle our kids.

I started to realize all these symptoms recently when it began to affect my relationship with my DH. I started picking fights with him, or blowing simple fights out of proportion and not letting them go. And, recently, there's been a couple times where I told him I just didn't want to be together anymore. My DH is a wonderful husband and father, so when he asked why I couldn't even pinpoint a reason and that's when I started to realize something was going on with me.

Does this sound like PPD? I set up an appointment with my doctor on Tuesday, but I don't know how to approach it. Do I just tell him I think it's what I have? I don't like taking prescriptions, so I don't just want him to write me up one and send me on my way if I tell him that's what I think I have. I'm just hesitant about how to cope or deal with his if this is what I have. I've been seeing a counselor recently and he hasn't brought up PPD, but our sessions don't seem to be constructive, either.

Any help would be appreciated. I don't want this to destroy my marriage or family.
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: I think I have PPD. New

• Options
    So sorry you are feeling this way, I can relate so much. I pick fights with my husband too and have threatend to leave him even though I couldn't imagine my life without him. I am hesitant about taking any more medication after a bad reaction to the last one. Have you considered finding another counselor if this one doesn't seem to be helping?
    Mom to Emma, Noah, Isaac, Asa, Asher, Jonah and expecting baby Alice 7/16

• Options
    Yes and no. I've opened up to the whole idea of counseling, but have shut down to it recently after not getting anywhere with my current one and after I realized our insurance didn't really cover it. Sadly, it's become a money issue.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think the appointment with your doctor is a great step to feeling better. When asked how things are going just tell them "Not good" and then explain how you feel and how things are different than normal. Hopefully they will be able to help you from there. And please come back and let us know how things went.
    Mom to Emma, Noah, Isaac, Asa, Asher, Jonah and expecting baby Alice 7/16

• Options
    Will do, thanks for the support! I figured if counseling wasn't going to be an option, something like this will be the next step thing. :) It's nice to know I'm not in this boat alone.
  • Options
    I saw my doctor today and it seems like he doesn't really like the term postpartum depression. He said there really is no difference between depression and postpartum depression, it's the same feelings and the only thing different between them is whether it's triggered shortly after the birth of a child or not. Anyways, he agreed that I am depressed and gave me a prescription of Celexa. He said that I should try to avoid any anti-social tendencies that I've been having lately as a result of my lack of energy and encouraged me to set aside time to get out, make a point to see friends and socialize. He also encouraged a healthy diet (which I already have) and exercise (need to start that more often). He said the medicine, along with his suggestions and having a strong support system will get me feeling back to normal in no time. I have a follow up appointment with him in a month.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"