LGBT Parenting
Options

First RE appointment this week...What Should I Ask?

So the moment I've been waiting for is coming up this week. I have some thoughts rambled together, not any basic structure. Maybe it's just the nervousness, but I'm organizing things like a crazy person.

I do know I'll be doing an ultrasound, possibly bloodwork.

What were some questions you asked on your first appointment?

Thanks ahead of time! 

TTC With PCOS
Me: Witty Comical Southern Girly,Relocated To Wonderful Seattle.
DH: Charming Introvert, Perfect father material.
9/5 First Re Appointment: Good to go on next cycle!
Waiting October IUI, Wish me luck!
Causes I support: GLBT Rights, Children Rights, Animal rights.

Re: First RE appointment this week...What Should I Ask?

• Options

Your RE will likely answer a lot of your basic questions (testing questions, procedural stuff) before you even get the chance to ask them.  Beyond that, I think the questions you ask are very specific to your situation.  I went to the RE after having done 3 IUIs with midwives and with no indication of any problems, so my questions were likely different than yours would be, just starting off with PCOS.  I don't really remember exactly what we asked (it was about 6 months ago), but I do remember we wanted to hear what her opinion was on medicating vs. not medicating given my situation, because we wanted to wait on drugs a bit and didn't want an RE who would push us to use them earlier than we wanted to.

Try not to be nervous.  You don't need to be uber organized, and it's not a test.  Mine was more of a conversation.  As long as you can converse and discuss your medical history, you'll be fine.  And if you don't come up with questions to ask at the first appointment -- or if additional questions come up after you leave -- you can always ask along the way.

Married my wife 8/2007 ~ TTC #1 since 7/2011
    9 IUIs = 9 BFNs
    IVF October 2012: 22 eggs retrieved, 17 fertilized, 5 frozen
    ET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Blighted ovum discovered at 7w5d; D&E
    FET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Missed m/c discovered at 9w5d; D&E
    Karyotyping: normal ~ RPL Testing: normal ~ Hysteroscopy: normal
    FET #2: 1 blast transferred 10/25; BFP 10/31!
    EDD 7/13/14 ~ Induced at 37w4d due to pre-eclampsia ~ Born on 6/28/14
    *Everyone welcome*

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

We had a consult with an RE (though we did not end up using one).  My advice is to take notes during the appointment.  We received SO MUCH information all at once it was pretty overwhelming and hard to remember the details once we got out to our car!

To be fair, we were meeting with him to look at all of the possible routes we could take, so we covered a LOT of scenarios.

If you already know you're going to inseminate with an RE and perhaps even have a specific diagnosis (if applicable), it might be a much more straightforward conversation.

Good luck!

The word you're looking for is SEX.  I promise.  No, it's not gender.  It's sex.  You're welcome.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"