High-Risk Pregnancy

Re: (Untitled)

• Options
    As you stated, those measurements can be really off. One of my closest friends had an elective c-section because the OB told her the baby was going to be close to 10lbs. Her daughter ended up weighing 7lbs 3oz. She was really upset with her decision for awhile. Another friend of mine vaginally delivered a 10lb 9oz baby, and she is very petite. I guess you have to decide if you are willing to go through the risks of an elective c-section based on a rather unreliable measurement, and if you will feel OK with your decision if the baby ends up not being a large baby. 
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Like PP said those measurements can be off....but I can also understand your fear of an emergency c section. In the end you have to think about how you would feel if you went through the elective c section and the baby wasn't that big.

I had a planned c section with my daughter because she was breech and my experience was great compared to those with emergency ones. It was very relaxed and my recovery was easier then expected. Yeah recovery is no cake walk but the same can be said for some vaginal deliveries.

It the end it is your decision and how you would feel if you had the elective section only to have an average size baby or how well you would handle an emergency c section.

I'm dealing with a similar decision on of I should try a VBAC or not....for me as I worrier I like things planned and rushing and panic makes me nervous so to avoid the emergency c section I'm going with a repeat.

Good luck with your decision!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Hum at my practice, there is really no option for elective surgery.  U either go vagianally, or c sect bc the dr deems it needed.  Unless u have had a previous c sec.

I would have to get the drs opinions, but growth scans can be off up to 2 lbs (1 lb is very common to be off).

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I wish I had a resource to point you toward. I agree with PP that those measurements can be more than a little off. 

Just remember that a c/s is abdominal surgery. It's longer recovery time which can disrupt bonding. That, and you won't have the surge of oxytocin released during labor which helps with things like milk production, uterine tone, and bonding. 

Also, as an aside, every time that you have a uterine surgery it makes future pregnancy and delivery more risky. The cesarean rate in this country is somewhere around 40%. That's one of the highest in the world, and it does not correlate with better outcomes. 

If I come across any resources for info I will let you know. There's a documentary "The Business of Being Born" that explores some of these issues. But the tone is pretty pro natural child birth, and IMO doesn't hit some of the bigger considerations in child birth. Might be worth watching in your case. GL!

• Options
    imagemgade001:
    I wish I had a resource to point you toward. I agree with PP that those measurements can be more than a little off.nbsp;Just remember that a c/s is abdominal surgery. It's longer recovery time which can disrupt bonding. That, and you won't have the surge of oxytocin released during labor which helps with things like milk production, uterine tone, and bonding.nbsp;Also, as an aside, every time that you have a uterine surgery it makes future pregnancy and delivery more risky. The cesarean rate in this country is somewhere around 40. That's one of the highest in the world, and it does not correlate with better outcomes.nbsp;If I come across any resources for info I will let you know. There's a documentary "The Business of Being Born" that explores some of these issues. But the tone is pretty pro natural child birth, and IMO doesn't hit some of the bigger considerations in child birth. Might be worth watching in your case. GL!nbsp;

I think what you said about c sections is BS...it did not mess with bonding nor milk production and some vaginal deliveries have longer recoveries.

It is all peoples opinions, but please don't put it put there that those with c sections only don't bond as well , have harder recoveries and have issues BF.

Yes it is a surgery but it the safest of any....I would never suggest having one just because but I don't like when people make them out to be horrible so people like me ,who actually needed one, get do upset and scared
  • Options
    First, how your baby gets here has nothing to do with BFing and bonding.  I had a vaginal delivery with both and it took longer to bond with DS2 and I was very successful with BFing.  With DS1 I bonded right away and was not very successful with BFing.  Hormones effect everyone differently and our bodies are different.  Every baby is different too.  What is right for even one child of your own and you may not be right for the next.  

I think you need to talk with your OB at 36w and see that the OB thinks.  They have been doing this for a long time (I am assuming) and will have a better picture of what would be best.  I was told that DS2 was 7lbs at the most.  I knew in my heart and from the pain my body was in that he was huge.  I told my OB, but I measured so good he didn't think so.  DS2 was almost 9.5lbs.  I had no issue at all pushing him out in under 20 minutes.  My sister's last was almost 11lbs and had him vaginally.  I think we are built for bigger babies.  I have another friend that the doc said "your baby is big.  Lets do a c/s".  Glad she did because he would not have come out on his own at over 10lbs.  

If you have your heart set on a vaginal delivery plan for that at this point, but don't think that a c/s is the end of the world either.  Again, what is important in all this is a healthy mom and baby at the end.  

ETA:  what pp said about milk production is semi true.  It can take an extra day or so for milk to come in with a c/s, but at that point the colostrum is all baby needs. Again, some mom's don't have a delay in milk production.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    There is also a vbac board that has a website and resources available. Good luck with your decision!
  • Options

With my first pregnancy our OB induced me a week early due to our u/s estimating our DD to be 10lbs +, I sat with no change for 24 hours before he offered us an elective c-section or the option to try to continue the labor to see if things changed within the next 2 days (my water hadn't broke and I was only having mild contractions). He assured us that she was def 10+ and very high and didn't think she'd come on her own, after many tears we said go for it. DD was born at only 6.5lbs, far from 10lbs. Looking back I'm sad we missed the chance to labor and now I'm facing a repeat c-section due to the hospital not allowing VBACs. 

• Options
    I would listen to your doctor and maybe get a second opinion. Ultimately it is up to you in the long run. If you feel that there is too much risk involved, then have the c-section. I personally am having an elective c-section due to having endometriosis and extreme fear of natural child birth. Everyone is going to have their opinion but you have to do whats best for you and the baby.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"