Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Re: (Untitled)

• I agree with pp it could've been the tuna or even something from the vingerette. Not sure why you wouldn't just use your fingers to get him to take a bite that way... or ask for a separate fork for your son.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagebrighteyes2123:
    I agree with pp it could've been the tuna or even something from the vingerette. Not sure why you wouldn't just use your fingers to get him to take a bite that way... or ask for a separate fork for your son.

Honestly, FTM and being more on relaxed side... it wasn't a concern of mine. Peanuts, shellfish, etc were not on my plate. I had asked for a spoon, but didn't come fast enough as DS was VERY anxious to have something. I licked my fork off and away we went. (call me proper but using my hands for smashed up food...um, no) It was salad, mango, tomatoes, onion, cucumber, Ahi. I dipped the corners of my bite in cilantro vin. dressing because I have been trying to lose weight. Also, our Dr. has now said you can introduce fish at our desire between 8 and 12 mo, avoiding shellfish, peanuts etc.

(here is just 1 article I found that backs our Dr. up.... I know some Dr.'s still say to wait)

https://www.babycenter.com/408_when-can-my-baby-eat-fish_1368510.bc

Anyways, you are right there is no way to know. He is doing great now and slept through the night, I woke him at 9pm to eat and he has kept it down. Guess well find out next time we introduce avacado, or tuna again. I know to be aware of those foods... and I will test again at home. Dr. also said it could have been a little bug. Hard to tell.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • SO STRANGE, since reading up on avacado allergy... I came across this, if allergic to latex most likely will be allergic to avacado and other items in that "family"! DS has not been diagnosed allergic to latex but I have a sneaking idea maybe he is... he has those little plastic duckies that he loved to chew on and I noticed it was giving him those red splotches around his mouth... I threw them away and was going to speak to Dr. about it at next apt. Thinking this is what it is now, and making an apt for next week to discuss.

https://www.buzzle.com/articles/avocado-food-allergy-symptoms.html

• As a mom of a kiddo with multiple food allergies, I'll say that eating out is "risky business". Of course I'm not saying no one should take their baby out to eat and give them food, but even if I talk to a chef, check ingredient books, etc, LO often has a reaction. Cross contamination at restaurants is way too easy. My point? Don't panic and try stuff at home. Sorry that happened, it's so scary!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagekerischrader:

SO STRANGE, since reading up on avacado allergy... I came across this, if allergic to latex most likely will be allergic to avacado and other items in that "family"! DS has not been diagnosed allergic to latex but I have a sneaking idea maybe he is... he has those little plastic duckies that he loved to chew on and I noticed it was giving him those red splotches around his mouth... I threw them away and was going to speak to Dr. about it at next apt. Thinking this is what it is now, and making an apt for next week to discuss.

That could be it. I knew there was a connection between banana allergies and latex allergies, but I didn't know about avocados and latex!

Anyway, don't beat yourself up about it. Before DD1 was diagnosed with food allergies, I wouldn't have thought about using a separate fork to give her a bite, and I wouldn't have been worried about eating out. Now eating out or even going to a birthday party is very anxiety producing because we have to be very careful to protect DD1. 

I would definitely talk to the pedi in more detail about this and ask to see a pediatric allergist for testing when LO turns 1. Until then, I'd avoid avocados and perhaps the other foods in the latex family. Food allergies are not something to take lightly. The first reaction could be mild, the next could be life threatening, you just never know. We have to have EpiPens on hand at all times for DD1, thankfully we've never had to use them.

The Food Allergy board on here is a great resource too, if you haven't checked it out.  

someecardscom - Im well on my way to getting absolutely nothing done today
    DD1: allergic to eggs & dairy Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    c/p 4/1/11

DD2: milk and soy protein intolerant, allergic to eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, bananasBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    MSPI Moms Check-In Blog
  • imageshotzie:
    imagekerischrader:

SO STRANGE, since reading up on avacado allergy... I came across this, if allergic to latex most likely will be allergic to avacado and other items in that "family"! DS has not been diagnosed allergic to latex but I have a sneaking idea maybe he is... he has those little plastic duckies that he loved to chew on and I noticed it was giving him those red splotches around his mouth... I threw them away and was going to speak to Dr. about it at next apt. Thinking this is what it is now, and making an apt for next week to discuss.

That could be it. I knew there was a connection between banana allergies and latex allergies, but I didn't know about avocados and latex!

Anyway, don't beat yourself up about it. Before DD1 was diagnosed with food allergies, I wouldn't have thought about using a separate fork to give her a bite, and I wouldn't have been worried about eating out. Now eating out or even going to a birthday party is very anxiety producing because we have to be very careful to protect DD1. 

I would definitely talk to the pedi in more detail about this and ask to see a pediatric allergist for testing when LO turns 1. Until then, I'd avoid avocados and perhaps the other foods in the latex family. Food allergies are not something to take lightly. The first reaction could be mild, the next could be life threatening, you just never know. We have to have EpiPens on hand at all times for DD1, thankfully we've never had to use them.

The Food Allergy board on here is a great resource too, if you haven't checked it out.  

agree! Thanks :)

• Ok, I'm going to jump on the "you're not nuts at all" train because I have a child with food allergies and I still see nothing wrong with feeding my baby (who we've found no allergies with yet) from my fork.  DS is allergic to peanuts, but we didn't find that out until the second time he ate them and it created a reaction very similar to what you described.  And latex, avocado and banana are all related.  Has he shown any signs like this with banana?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagepenguinem:
    As a mom of a kiddo with multiple food allergies, I'll say that eating out is "risky business". Of course I'm not saying no one should take their baby out to eat and give them food, but even if I talk to a chef, check ingredient books, etc, LO often has a reaction. Cross contamination at restaurants is way too easy. My point? Don't panic and try stuff at home. Sorry that happened, it's so scary!

This was what I was thinking. They could have used the same utensil to scoop avocado as something else.  

Wedding Countdown Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker TickerVisit my Etsy shop for adorable baby bows: Rachelle's Baby Boutique
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"