Special Needs

Re: (Untitled)

• Options
    Last night was the second full moon of the month so that could have something to do with it.  My kids went crazy this week.  From others I've seen on Facebook, their kids did too.  Full moon doesn't always affect my kids but some months it is awful.
    Samuel  2.26.06 41w ASD/ADHD
    Eli  6.18.09 35.5w
    Silas  1.25.13 35.4w 10 days NICU, allergies/asthma, gluten intolerant

• Options

If he's climbing out of his crib, have you transitioned to a toddler/big kid bed.  It's not safe to keep him in the crib once he starts climbing out.  It took my older DD about a month to get used to the toddler bed, and it was a little rough at first, but once she got used to it, her sleep went back to normal.

Does your mom feel comfortable taking him to the park or somewhere he can run and play outside?  If he's not getting good sleep, and he's frustrated by being stuck in the house he could be acting out because of that.  Are you and your mom on the same page with discipline?  Do you use timeouts or something else?  If he's not napping and your mom isn't getting a break during the day that's probably adding to her frustration, and it's probably making his behavior worse as well.  Maybe your mom needs to change up her routine with him.

How is his receptive language?  Does he respond to rewards?  We used to use a lot of little incentives with my DD at that age.

I'm sorry things are rough right now.  Maybe you can try to figure out what's going on when you're home with him.  Talk to your mom and get on the same page with discipline and how you both respond to certain behaviors. GL! 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

That was my SPD kiddo at 2 also, well except he started climbing out of his crib at 14 months Surprise.  For some kids a crib tent completely solves the getting out problem otherwise I'd bite the bullet and convert it then go to a hardcore back to bed repeatedly every single time he gets out until he naps routine.

Also, my SPD kid was/is incredibly sensitive to sleep deficits.  At that age I could easily guess if he had woken up even 10 min early, or what 30 min, 60 min short of sleep all looked like.  The behavior all went out the window and it became all about just getting through the day if his sleep had suffered.

I will give you a glimmer of hope that I never expected to have when I was staring down 2.  He's closing in on 5 now and since about this time last year we've had an entirely different child.  He's so much more capable of controlling his body (sensory seeker), sounds rarely bother him anymore (used to carry ear protectors all the time), he falls asleep much more easily and it's a once in a while experience that he goes ape *** at bedtime instead of nightly.  Sure it's still hard and yes I can see the difference between he and his NT 3.5 year old brother, yes he's a more difficult child to parent but at 2 I would have said on a difficulty scale of 1-10 he was a 7-8 and now I'd say he's more like a 3-4 (with typical child being a 1-2 and a 10 = struggling all day every day.

Good luck mama and here is the crib tent info.

https://www.leapsandbounds.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=309775&cm_ven=R_Google&cm_cat=LAB_NonBrand&cm_pla=none&cm_ite=dsa+-+all+site&orderType=2&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=none&utm_term=dsa+-+all+site&creative=15658531539

• Options

Thanks for everyone's input.  I do appreciate it. To answer some questions, my son is adopted and I am a single parent.  I adopted him from foster care and he was substance exposed at birth, so I have that working against me as well.  My mom never expected to be unemployed at this stage in her life.  She was layed off 2 yrs ago after 21 yrs with the same company.  At her age, she has been unable to find a job.  Sucks cause she is awesome and such a hard worker too, but when you're 60, it's like everyone thinks you are too old to work, not true.  So we have done what is best for us, she wanted to stay at home and take care of him, so I didn't have to put him in daycare, which is great.  I have looked into SN daycare for even one day a week, but can't find any.   They are just basically centers that will take care of your child.  Not to put them down, but they have no qualifications for teachers and quite honestly, they won't do the sensory stuff for him that he needs.  I already have him on a sensory diet, which I have seen great improvements in him.  But for whatever reason those 2 days were awful..He isn't a bad kid, I just don't know what else to do on days like that.  He doesn't understand some things and thinks when you tell him to stop or redirect him, he laughs.  He thinks time-outs are funny, nothing works for discipline. No one has been able to give any advice that works.  OT and ST keep saying just keep redirecting him.  Well it doesn't work.  So I don't know what's next.  I already took toys out of room so he pulls all his clothes and stuff out of drawers and closet.  I sometimes just feel a little lost with what to do.  I am a huge advocate for my son.  I pushed to get therapies for him and like to consider myself pretty well versed on his SPD.  I have done tons of research and have done anything and everything recommended to me.  I just feel like when everything has been done and it doesn't help, what else can you do.  People that don't have SN kids just don't understand and it's nice to hear from you all what you have done or what you suggest and I truly appreciate you all listening to me rant. Thanks Ladies.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"